Gibson Guitar Board: Custom Shop J45 - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom Shop J45 Wolf in Sheep's Clothing?

#1 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1756
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I hardly recognized it as a Gibson. I was in a local guitar shop yesterday and saw one of these Custom Shop J45's on the wall. I had to look in the soundhole to see what model it was. With the inlaid abalone on the headstock and rosette, the natural finish and herringbone purfling, I didn't know what this thing was!

I played it for about five minutes. I've never had a J45 grab me before, but what an amazing instrument! That deep warm resonant bass... woohoo!

Does anyone have one of these beauties?
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-17sm 12 fret
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson SJ200 Standard Natural
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   Gruffchris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: 25-February 12
  • LocationGreat Britannia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postdrathbun, on 27 March 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

I hardly recognized it as a Gibson. I was in a local guitar shop yesterday and saw one of these Custom Shop J45's on the wall. I had to look in the soundhole to see what model it was. With the inlaid abalone on the headstock and rosette, the natural finish and herringbone purfling, I didn't know what this thing was!

I played it for about five minutes. I've never had a J45 grab me before, but what an amazing instrument! That deep warm resonant bass... woohoo!

Does anyone have one of these beauties?



Hey,

Yes I have a custom shop J-45, not the one you are describing, but i don't think it's to dissimilar [thumbup]
J 45 5* LTD (Mystic rosewood)

J 30

SG Standard

#3 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7046
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

It's sort of like takin' your cousin off the farm in Mississippi, dressing her up, putting makeup on her, and plunking her down in NYC. Underneath it all, she's still a simple country girl at heart, no matter how much paint she wears. And you know it the second she opens her mouth.

(Being descended from a long line of Southern farmers, I can say that with impunity...... [biggrin] )

Of course, my own J-45 has a tiny bit of bling about her as well......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   vincentw 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team
  • Posts: 1282
  • Joined: 18-May 10

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

These are very nice J-45s.

#5 User is offline   whirligig 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: 29-March 10
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

A total awesome sounding guitar!! I've had mine since oct 2010 and I'm very happy with it.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Lilac Lion 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-February 12
  • LocationWashington

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

I like my Custom J-45 very much, but maybe I'm taking him for granted at least until someone starts oooing and awwing over him. Everyone wants to look, touch and play. I wouldn't call him a gentleman either. Despite the bling and the burst, he can get down and dirty. From the start I called my j-45 a he--definitely male energy going on with this one.
Linny

2011 Gibson J-45 Custom
2009 Blueridge BR-140
2006 Fender Strat HSS

#7 User is offline   retrorod 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3971
  • Joined: 29-December 07
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postj45nick, on 27 March 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

It's sort of like takin' your cousin off the farm in Mississippi, dressing her up, putting makeup on her, and plunking her down in NYC. Underneath it all, she's still a simple country girl at heart, no matter how much paint she wears. And you know it the second she opens her mouth.

(Being descended from a long line of Southern farmers, I can say that with impunity...... [biggrin] )

Of course, my own J-45 has a tiny bit of bling about her as well......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes...a tiny bit, Nick! I think that you need to finish out the fingerboard inlays and go "full blown".... [woot]
What a great history that you and that 45 have togather....
I still have my first 'good guitar'....a '67 Garcia classical that my dad bought new for me at 14. I don,t play it anymore, but it is in good shape.
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."--Cormic McCarthy

Celebrating the sixty years of "white privilege" that i have just recently learned that I was born with...

#8 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7046
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

View Postretrorod, on 27 March 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Yes...a tiny bit, Nick! I think that you need to finish out the fingerboard inlays and go "full blown".... [woot]
What a great history that you and that 45 have togather....
I still have my first 'good guitar'....a '67 Garcia classical that my dad bought for me at 14. I don,t play it anymore, but it is in good shape.



Rod, you never forget your first......real guitar.

#9 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1756
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

View Postwhirligig, on 27 March 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

A total awesome sounding guitar!! I've had mine since oct 2010 and I'm very happy with it.

Posted Image


That's the one! I'm going back to play it again tomorrow. I'll take a few snaps too. :)
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-17sm 12 fret
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson SJ200 Standard Natural
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#10 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1756
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostLilac Lion, on 27 March 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

I like my Custom J-45 very much, but maybe I'm taking him for granted at least until someone starts oooing and awwing over him. Everyone wants to look, touch and play. I wouldn't call him a gentleman either. Despite the bling and the burst, he can get down and dirty. From the start I called my j-45 a he--definitely male energy going on with this one.


Fascinating that you ascribe a male gender to the instrument since most consider guitars a female shape. I suppose that's because mostly men see that shape. :)
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-17sm 12 fret
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson SJ200 Standard Natural
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#11 User is offline   Hairy Dave 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 486
  • Joined: 16-October 11
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

I have the vintage sunburst model. Love it!
Gibson J45 Custom (Vintage Sunburst)
Epiphone Dove

#12 User is offline   Madman_Greg 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 08-January 11

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postdrathbun, on 27 March 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

I hardly recognized it as a Gibson. I was in a local guitar shop yesterday and saw one of these Custom Shop J45's on the wall. I had to look in the soundhole to see what model it was. With the inlaid abalone on the headstock and rosette, the natural finish and herringbone purfling, I didn't know what this thing was!

I played it for about five minutes. I've never had a J45 grab me before, but what an amazing instrument! That deep warm resonant bass... woohoo!

Does anyone have one of these beauties?


One minor correction, if thats OK, I believe the model is a Custom which is part of the standard Gibson line, a Custom Shop is something entirely different
Madman Greg

#13 User is offline   Hairy Dave 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 486
  • Joined: 16-October 11
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostMadman_Greg, on 28 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

One minor correction, if thats OK, I believe the model is a Custom which is part of the standard Gibson line, a Custom Shop is something entirely different


True.
Gibson J45 Custom (Vintage Sunburst)
Epiphone Dove

#14 User is offline   Lilac Lion 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 26-February 12
  • LocationWashington

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View Postdrathbun, on 27 March 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

Fascinating that you ascribe a male gender to the instrument since most consider guitars a female shape. I suppose that's because mostly men see that shape. :)


Hi Dave!

Ask more female guitar players. :D I would probably consider something like the curvey Jumbos and Super Jumbos female---not sure, I havent sat one in my lap yet. Glad to be on the forum, BTW. Trigger, my j-45, is a custom, not a custom shop.
Linny

2011 Gibson J-45 Custom
2009 Blueridge BR-140
2006 Fender Strat HSS

#15 User is offline   drathbun 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1756
  • Joined: 02-August 08
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostMadman_Greg, on 28 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

One minor correction, if thats OK, I believe the model is a Custom which is part of the standard Gibson line, a Custom Shop is something entirely different


Thanks Greg! Another bit of confusion by the experts of confusion at Gibson. Would that be a standard studio deluxe custom model or a studio deluxe custom standard? [rolleyes]
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-17sm 12 fret
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson SJ200 Standard Natural
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#16 User is offline   57classic 

  • Wicked Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1123
  • Joined: 12-July 10
  • LocationThe Hub

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I went into a 5 star dealer today to play a J 185 TV. I played that and a J185 Std. Both nice, the TV was much nicer, very lively but not the guitar for me. I saw a J45 Custom in vintage sunburst. WOW. It sounded amazing and played like butter without having been set up. [drool] Man, I left before buying it but haven't stopped thinking about it. [love] They will sell it for $2475.00 if I write a check but sales tax is another $150.00+. The tax over the life of the guitar is no big deal but buying online can give you 45 days to ponder the purchase. Not sure about this because it will mean selling my SWD which has a cutaway that I like. I knew this would happen if I went into that store. ](*,)
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute Goldtop
Gibson J45 Custom
Eastman E6OM
Victoria 5112
Weber Mini Mass Attenuator
Maxon OD 808


#17 User is offline   ParlourMan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4364
  • Joined: 25-January 11

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Did it sound several hundred and one cutaway better than your SWD, or is an NGD the lure?

There's the question. Forums tend to be enablers, junkies encouraging junkies to take one more hit ;) in that fashion I'll say if you can answer yes to the first question then do it.....

* Usual no responsibility disclaimer applies. ;)


Good luck with your choice.
http://www.youtube.c...ser/TheAyeTunes

Lets all have a wee cuddle.

#18 User is offline   57classic 

  • Wicked Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1123
  • Joined: 12-July 10
  • LocationThe Hub

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostParlourMan, on 11 April 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Did it sound several hundred and one cutaway better than your SWD, or is an NGD the lure?

There's the question. Forums tend to be enablers, junkies encouraging junkies to take one more hit ;) in that fashion I'll say if you can answer yes to the first question then do it.....

* Usual no responsibility disclaimer applies. ;)


Good luck with your choice.

You nailed it PM. That is the very question I'm wrestling with. If it wasn't an either/or situation the decision would be easier. I played another SWD in the store but perhaps I should take mine in and A/B them. Fortunately I have a couple of other things which take priority over this to tend to first. Hopefully the adrenalin rush subsides.
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute Goldtop
Gibson J45 Custom
Eastman E6OM
Victoria 5112
Weber Mini Mass Attenuator
Maxon OD 808


#19 User is offline   pfox14 

  • BANNED
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3374
  • Joined: 05-August 08

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Man, if I only had the scratch for one of these

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users