Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody tried a Les Paul Tribute Plus?

Hyote

Folks,

I've decided to look for a heavy Les Paul. I already have a couple of Gibson models, but one is chambered, and the other is a Smartwood. I'm looking for that classic burst grind, and I really would like to try one of these Tribute Plus Epis. Theoretically, it ought to get closer to the '50s Les Paul tone than most other current models.

I have so many guitars that my wife says I have to sell an old one to get a new one. So I put my Epi Les Paul ES Limited Edition up on eBay two nights ago. That one is hollow, and weighs less than 6 pounds. Has anyone weighed an Epi Tribute Plus? I'd really like to know if you think it has the sustain of the more traditional Les Paul construction.

Thanks,

Wes

Hey there!

I have been an Epiphone owner for twelve years now and I own a Gibson as well. I come from a family of Les Paul owners (just so you know my frame of reference). I just recently acquired one and it is beautiful. If you know what to expect with the normal Les Paul weight (heavy) there's nothing to worry about. it's warm-toned and the sustain at times seems pretty damn close to infinite. I would say go for it. Definitely worth the money.

-DCG

Hey there!

I have been an Epiphone owner for twelve years now and I own a Gibson as well. I come from a family of Les Paul owners (just so you know my frame of reference). I just recently acquired one and it is beautiful. If you know what to expect with the normal Les Paul weight (heavy) there's nothing to worry about. it's warm-toned and the sustain at times seems pretty damn close to infinite. I would say go for it. Definitely worth the money.

-DCG

Great, that's good to know. Which model do you have? I'm also trying to figure out if the Tribute Plus has a coil tap switch. My brother has a Gibson LP Traditional Pro, and I found the coil taps on that one to be surprisingly useful. And as guy who has played mostly Fenders for the l

ast 30 years, that's really saying something.

Hyote,

Welcome to the forum!

I bought an Epi LP Standard Plus for $500 new a couple years back. It cost me another $70 for the case.

I can tell you've already done the math.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Electric-Guitar-107282048-i2258713.gc?esid=Les+Paul+Tribute+Plus

Guitars are where you find them.......still...

Gibson USA '57 Classic humbucking neck pickup (4-wire)

Gibson USA '57 Classic Plus humbucking bridge pickup (4-wire).....

AT NO EXTRA COST?!

If I was looking for an L.P. today I would be looking for one.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus/Specs.aspx

If you go through a reputable dealer and don't like it........take it back!

IMHO,

Willy

Great, that's good to know. Which model do you have? I'm also trying to figure out if the Tribute Plus has a coil tap switch. My brother has a Gibson LP Traditional Pro, and I found the coil taps on that one to be surprisingly useful. And as guy who has played mostly Fenders for the l

ast 30 years, that's really saying something.

I've got the tribute plus in vintage sunburst. Since I already had a Gibby Les Paul Deluxe (71), an Epi Studio, and a Standard Plus Top, I was in the market for a twangier axe when I bought it. I went looking for an American Tele and discovered I could get the same tone (and more) with the coil-tap feature. Plus it looks way better than a tele :D. The coil-taps are extremely versatile, and if you are used to the Fender sound but still want the beauty that comes with a Les Paul, I would say get it. This might be my favorite, although for some reason I am in love with my standard plus top, because it fits the tone I love (it too is a heavy one). It's quite the steal. I'd say get it, and like Willie said, if you don't end up liking it, take it back! (Although I can 99% guarantee this will not be the case).

-DCG

The more I see these guitars and more I read the sort of testimony like in this thread alone, these seem to be the way to go for the best bang for the buck LP. And that's not easy to accomplish with so many upgraded and one-off options out there already from Epiphone and Gibson.

I have the 2010 Tribute in black and let me tell you I could not be any happier than I am with this guitar. You can do ALL genres on this axe. I primarily play Jazzy blues and dog jazz and every note rings out true and articulate. When I play in Church the chords ring clean. Please do yourself a favor and don't hesitate to purchase it. The classic 57's are super and the coil tapping is very useful.

Folks,

I've decided to look for a heavy Les Paul. I already have a couple of Gibson models, but one is chambered, and the other is a Smartwood. I'm looking for that classic burst grind, and I really would like to try one of these Tribute Plus Epis. Theoretically, it ought to get closer to the '50s Les Paul tone than most other current models.

I have so many guitars that my wife says I have to sell an old one to get a new one. So I put my Epi Les Paul ES Limited Edition up on eBay two nights ago. That one is hollow, and weighs less than 6 pounds. Has anyone weighed an Epi Tribute Plus? I'd really like to know if you think it has the sustain of the more traditional Les Paul construction.

Thanks,

Wes

I'm seriously GASsing waiting for mine to arrive. Returned my POS Ultra III and ordered the tribute instead. MF says it ships by 4-6. We'll see. I've seen nothing but stellar reviews, and it's killing me waiting. I'll give you the lowdown when mine arrives too.

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up my Tribute Plus on Saturday, in that "Midnight Ebony" color. Pretty good so far. Build quality seems quite good, and it was set up very well (even better than my last Gibson), although I did end up adjusting the truss rod and bridge height a little to stop the high E and B from fretting out in the upper frets.

The tone surprised me a bit. The high end is very round and smooth, and there's almost no fizzines. I actually wouldn't mind a little more fur in the trebles, to be honest.

Does anyone understand the wiring? It seems to me that the push-pull pots effect the phase of the coils within each pickup, rather than acting as taps. I believe that if the tone knob for a pickup is pushed down, then the coils operate in series, as a normal humbucker. If the knob is pulled up, then the coils for that pickup are run in parallel. It doesn't give you a true single coil tone, but it does seem to be noise free.

That's not the way the switching works in a typical Gibson Les Paul. For instance, on my brother's Traditional Pro, pulling a knob drops that pickup to single coil.

Do I have this right, or am I misunderstanding something?

So I picked up my Tribute Plus on Saturday, in that "Midnight Ebony" color. Pretty good so far. Build quality seems quite good, and it was set up very well (even better than my last Gibson), although I did end up adjusting the truss rod and bridge height a little to stop the high E and B from fretting out in the upper frets.

The tone surprised me a bit. The high end is very round and smooth, and there's almost no fizzines. I actually wouldn't mind a little more fur in the trebles, to be honest.

Does anyone understand the wiring? It seems to me that the push-pull pots effect the phase of the coils within each pickup, rather than acting as taps. I believe that if the tone knob for a pickup is pushed down, then the coils operate in series, as a normal humbucker. If the knob is pulled up, then the coils for that pickup are run in parallel. It doesn't give you a true single coil tone, but it does seem to be noise free.

That's not the way the switching works in a typical Gibson Les Paul. For instance, on my brother's Traditional Pro, pulling a knob drops that pickup to single coil.

Do I have this right, or am I misunderstanding something?

You understand correctly. It is not a "coil split" on the Tribute Plus. It is a series/parallel switch. Thinner sound, but no hum. I actually really like the sound, and the volume drop is roughly the same as a split. It actually told you this right on the little tag that was fastened around the tone pots too if yours came brand new. If you're like me though, you tore those suckers off as soon as possible, same with the stickers over the pickups.

You understand correctly. It is not a "coil split" on the Tribute Plus. It is a series/parallel switch. Thinner sound, but no hum. I actually really like the sound, and the volume drop is roughly the same as a split. It actually told you this right on the little tag that was fastened around the tone pots too if yours came brand new. If you're like me though, you tore those suckers off as soon as possible, same with the stickers over the pickups.

Nope, there were no lables on mine at the store. They had a hell of a time even finding the case for it, and never did come up with the strap locks that are supposed to be included, or the lame patch cord either.

But, I was really after the guitar itself anyway.

Archived