Gibson Brands Forums

NAD: Epiphone Blues Custom 30

LPDEN

Dump the Valve Special.

I'd also recommend fitting the BC30 with castors and twin carrying straps. From experience hanging 80+ Lbs off one hand isn't much fun!!

Awesome amp though - planning to be buried with mine so I've got something decent in the next life!

Dump the Valve Special.

I'd also recommend fitting the BC30 with castors and twin carrying straps. From experience hanging 80+ Lbs off one hand isn't much fun!!

Awesome amp though - planning to be buried with mine so I've got something decent in the next life!

For the $70 cash out of pocket (after a discount and a $100 store credit applied), I think it would be silly of me to get rid of the Valve Special at this point despite it being inferior to the B.C.30. After some consideration, I have about come to the conclusion that it would be more prudent to give up on the Valve Jr. head I was going to do a mod and focus on upgrading the the Valve Special instead, starting with a speaker swap.

Basically the valve special is a valve junior combo which has been totally ruined by the addition of a really s**t dsp stage.

Best move would be to disable/remove the DSP stage (instructions on how to do so can be found on the forum) and then mod away as you would with a regular Valve Jnr.

Personally I'd keep the head as well for backup

If you find that the amp has a ice pick tone there is a thread here that will tone it down by clipping a Cap or two. Very easy. I did it to mine( Sold my BC 30 last month to finance mods for my HRD). I also retubed it with Tungsol reissues in both sections. Super tone. BTW congrats on the BC 30![thumbup]

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to price speakers locally after narrowing down my list and after a little discussion, I may just stick with the BC30 and take the store credit offered as they have a few other amps in stock that I may be better off with...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update things here, I unloaded the Epi Valve Jr. & Std back to the store I acquired them from and took the advice on sticking with just the BC30 The $275 delivered that I spent on the BC30 has to be the best nag for the buck I ever got on any amp. I'll look into the cap and tube tweaks down the road that were mentioned, but right now it's sounding fine in stock form - so rush required. Damn, this amp can get LOUD and still sound great!! [thumbup]

Welcome to the club msp_thumbup.gif

I'd def swap out the power and rectifier tubes for something decent but the stock EH 12AX7's seem to be pretty decent sounding.

Time to start building up those arm and back muscles now

Welcome to the club msp_thumbup.gif

I'd def swap out the power and rectifier tubes for something decent but the stock EH 12AX7's seem to be pretty decent sounding.

Time to start building up those arm and back muscles now

The casters and double handles are great recommendation. The BC30 dwarfs my AC15CA-BL

SAM_0002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived