Gibson Brands Forums

What Was Your Very First Acoustic Guitar?

John Lee Walker

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A horrible Silvertone for Christmas '62. Made my fingers bleed. My parents knew at that point that I was serious about this guitar thing so they agreed that I needed something better. The next summer I got a Gibson classical which I played for the next 19 years along with a custom made 12 string. In '82 I got my current Gibson, the guitar for the rest of my life. It's an F-25 which is configured just like a classical guitar which made it easy for me to play.

I still don't have complete fingerprints on my left hand because of that Silvertone. Or maybe it's from 46 years of playing.

My dad played classical guitar for a while' date=' he loved Segovia, he played alone in his den, the rich smell of pipe tobacco is forever linked to Spanish guitar for me, in about 1964 I was listening to a lot of Folk and blues, I forget the details of the deal but I had a little money, my dad put in the rest and I got a Gibson LG 1, I think it was just over $100.00, I used to get about a dollar a week allowance, that stopped when I got that guitar, it would be another 40 years before I would play another Gibson.[/quote']

what happened to the LG-1?

what happened to the LG-1?

I travelled around a lot in the sixties, used to pawn my Gibson in a new town to get a few bucks 'till I found work, I guess I screwed up ( the exact details are somewhat hazy) and lost it to a pawnbroker, I got a Framus next, never really liked that guitar.

A '62 Martin 0-16NY. Went downrown to buy a Goya classical and ended up actually making the right choice for once. Had been working in a wholesale meat market that summer and saved up just enough. Now I have a '71 in the house and it definitely takes me back. Ce

The guitar I learned on was a real cheapie...no name on it anywhere, but I saw one like it in the "Green Stamp" catalog...remember green stamps? You got them at the grocery store when you purchased groceries, and you save them up and trade them in for prizes. This particular guitar, however, was not purchased with green stamps. My Dad traded a lawnmower for it, and the mower was not in very good shape.

The first guitar I owned was an Lyle electric 12 string...a major POS. I later purchased a Harmony/Regal acoustic 12er, which I later traded in on a Guild D40 that I still own - my first "good" guitar!

First acosustic - 1930s Martin C-2 f-hole archtop (based on the one photo I still have where I can see the guitar). It was given to me by an old friend of the family on my 8th birthday. Didn't know a guitar from a can of tune back then. In later years I tried to screw an old P-90 pickup to it and stuff like that.

First electric - A Sears Single pickup Silvertone Dano with the amp in case.

No Miss Laura....You weren't playin' roun'! Went straight for it. I always heard it said that a great guitar was more rewarding to learn on! My first one was a pawn shop Kay. Not rewarding...or cool! Especially when the teach had a Gretsch Country Gentleman.... #-o RRod

My first was a horrid plywood 3/4 size acoustic in a bright cherry sunburst and red painted back, sides and neck, with no brand on it, and these ugly double pickguards that were screwed into the top. It came from K-Mart. I got it for my 10th birthday and I was so happy to have it. I was the only one of my gang of two other friends who learned to play and I got the crappiest guitar to start out with among us. I gave the guitar to a kid in my 5th grade class when i got a better guitar.

Gibson CJ-165. I wasn't fartin' around' date=' was I? lol[/quote']

you certainly got us all beat! lol

btw, i didn't know i had someone nearby on this forum. I'm living in Sumter these days, but i'm headed to Columbia or Charleston soon.... all depends on which place gives me a better job!

<<<<< She's right there. Epiphone FT145SB 'Texan'. I still have her and still love her tone.

Got her for Christmas my Sophomore year of High School. Tried to learn to play it, only to get discouraged and put it down. I'd dig it out every few months to try to 'figger' out how to make it work. Eventually I realized the neck block had broken loose, as did many of the early Norlin Epis. Took me a few years to figure out how to repair it. I re-glued it, then put nylons on it for years, but action was still high. Eventually, I figured out how to reinforce this weak neck joint so I could use steels. She's been holding medium steel strings at bay for 2 years now. Action isn't the 'best, but she is playable. GOD I love that tone. She's my 'Girl'. Always will be.

I think, when I die, I'll have a friend play one last song on her at my grave, then El Kabong her over my tomb stone. Finally, toss the shards down the hole after my casket is lowered in. We'll be together forever.

First guitar was a Sears dreadnought in 1975.

It looked very nice but the action was was so bad.........

Saved enough money from a part time job to get an

Ibanez Martin copy in 1978 for $200.

Still have the Ibanez, it's a decent guitar - spruce top, rosewood

sides and mahoganey neck.

I then got a couple of Carvin electrics but always wanted a

Gibson acoustic since I saw saw the one a music teacher had in grade school.

In '92 got an EAS Standard and in '97 finally got something that really

gets me going- an EC30 Blues King Electro.

Still would like to get a Jumbo one of these days....

I received my first guitar two years ago this month but didn’t begin to play with it for at least six months. It sounded terrible…I made is sound terrible. After a few weeks of trying to follow DVD’s teaching songs I didn’t care to learn but making honest efforts I realized how badly I needed a tuner. Being new to guitar I assumed a tuner was going to cost me about $75 (about 40% of the cost of the guitar) and I figured spending that $75 wasn’t going to make my playing sound any better so I put it away for another six months. I really wanted to learn so I went to buy a tuner; I was amazed to discover it only cost me $15! Now I’m ready. I thought I was doing pretty well, my playing even started sounding tolerable. But then a friend put a Gibson in my hands. It took me a couple weeks to buy a real Gibson but it took over six months to sell that Esteban.

My first STEEL string guitar was an Ovation Balladeer......That guitar was cursed from the beginning.....the bass notes were always "challenged" and always sounded dead. This guitar eventually wound up with a twisted neck, which could not be fixed, and had to go back to the factory for a new neck AND a new top. It came back sounding just as bad as when it left. They actually replaced the top and neck rather than give me a new one....lol.....finally sold it....good riddance....

My first guitar was a washburn acoustic that I just got rid of when I bought my gibson sheryl crow. I havn't been playing very long just a few years so I don't have this big guitar list like some of you on here. One guitar now but I love it. I don't have a camera so I can't post any pictures of it sorry. Maybe I can get my brother to take one when I see him next week. The first song I ever learned was Grampa by the judds.

First of all I know it has been several months since my last post but I have been reading when I have the chance. My first guitar was a $ 50 all wood acoustic I purchased from a retail store. Still have it over 30 years later but still only worth about 50. bucks. First Gibson was the es-335 I have posted in several other threads on this forum. Nice to be back....

I bought my first acoustic from my brother: an old, hard to play Yamaha.

Next camen an AJ45VS Epiphone.

After that a Takamine EF351SC.

Finally, a Martin D28 and a Gibson J45, the latter being traded some months later for a Gibson Modern Classic Hummingbird in Vintage Sunburst! =D>

Those two won't go away! =D>

AL

Agreed........coolest by a mile.

Sad thing is that that story is 100% true and can be verified bt Thermioniks lady.

I passed the one by a few months ago as I was busy buying a L5 Clone for £200.

By the look of that auction price I'd been better buying the plastic one.

Mt next guitar was the classic crap classical!

Archived