Gibson Guitar Board: Pickup Difference Question - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pickup Difference Question

#1 User is offline   laxa7 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

What is the difference between the first pickups and the second one. I have always wondered but never figured it out.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 3802_Porter_Classic_Classic_Humbucker_Set_Nickel_a.jpg
  • Attached Image: humbucker_db3.jpg

#2 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Two have covers, one doesn't............
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#3 User is online   stein 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

We got it right!

Next question?...

#4 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

View Poststein, on 29 March 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

We got it right!

Next question?...

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [blink] [lol] [lol] [lol] ...........
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Searcy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNashville

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

LOL....damn. You guys are killing me! [lol] [lol] [lol]

#6 User is offline   WKnight2 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

LOL funniest thing I read all day

View PostSearcy, on 29 March 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

LOL....damn. You guys are killing me! [lol] [lol] [lol]

#7 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well, from a technical standpoint, the pickups in the first pic are more suited for a two pickup guitar,

and the pickup in the second pic is much more suited for a single pickup guitar................................

I state this because putting the two pickup set in a single pickup guitar would mean that one pickup would end

up flopping around relicing the guitar's front.....Now, also, putting in the pickup from the second pic into a two

pickup guitar would mean an empty hole which would end up gathering lint in it, which would end up building up

a static charge creating a noise issue..................Just sayin'.........

" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Searcy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNashville

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Very good point. Also the pickups in the first picture have twice the output and are at least 75 times as shiny as the pickup in the second picture.

#9 User is offline   Ape-Fish 

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

[confused]
I'm not too well versed in 'pup' differences, but could it be that pickups with covers have just a bit less output level, but they also produce just a bit less noise?
In addition, do they not have just a little bit of a high frequency non-harmonic resonance, or a very slight loss of low end or a 'tinny' effect?

#10 User is online   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

The nickel covered ones have outputs of 7.3k (neck) and 7.7k (bridge), are 4-conductor, and use Alnico 5 magnets. They also cost about $200 for the set.

The uncovered one is the generic Black/Black Gibson Humbucker picture, so it could be any of their standard uncovered humbuckers.

#11 User is offline   vexorgtr 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

The snarky answers rock! Lovn' the humor.

Unless we know the models, it's hard to say anything other than the cosmetics with accuracy.

#12 User is online   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postvexorgtr, on 28 April 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

The snarky answers rock! Lovn' the humor.

Unless we know the models, it's hard to say anything other than the cosmetics with accuracy.

Well, the nickel-covered ones are a Porter Classic-Classic set. The uncovered one is a generic Gibson double-black open coil humbucker image.

#13 User is offline   Cú Chulainn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostCaroline64, on 27 April 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

The nickel covered ones have outputs of 7.3k (neck) and 7.7k (bridge).

Those numbers are resistance, not output.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

#14 User is online   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostCú Chulainn, on 29 December 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Those numbers are resistance, not output.

We're talking with guitarists here, not pickup winders or anybody who really gives a damn. The resistance values make sense to guitarists. Impedance and resonant peak, not so much.

-Ryan

#15 User is offline   Cú Chulainn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostCaroline64, on 01 January 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

We're talking with guitarists here, not pickup winders or anybody who really gives a damn. The resistance values make sense to guitarists. Impedance and resonant peak, not so much.

-Ryan

Hmm, ok, so using your logic Yngwies former Dimarzio pickups(which is rated at 23.72k) would be very high output? [confused]
if anything, the higher the resistance(k) the darker the sound [flapper] [biggrin]
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

#16 User is online   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostCú Chulainn, on 09 January 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Hmm, ok, so using your logic Yngwies former Dimarzio pickups(which is rated at 23.72k) would be very high output? [confused]
if anything, the higher the resistance(k) the darker the sound [flapper] [biggrin]

I'm not arguing that resistance has anything to do with output. I'm saying that resistance is an easy way to communicate "output" to the uninformed. Generally high output pickups have high resistance values. Low output pickups generally have lower resistance values. More people understand this than those who understand inductance, capacitance, impedance e.c.t.

To summarize, I'm simplifying it.

-Ryan

#17 User is offline   narm 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

At a first glance, i would say looks, but as said above the outputs wont' probably be the same.
As for looks i like this combination. Attached Image: 380469_324554817556673_1896068759_n.jpg

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users