Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Difference Question

laxa7

• 2 weeks later...

Well, from a technical standpoint, the pickups in the first pic are more suited for a two pickup guitar,

and the pickup in the second pic is much more suited for a single pickup guitar................................

I state this because putting the two pickup set in a single pickup guitar would mean that one pickup would end

up flopping around relicing the guitar's front.....Now, also, putting in the pickup from the second pic into a two

pickup guitar would mean an empty hole which would end up gathering lint in it, which would end up building up

a static charge creating a noise issue..................Just sayin'.........

[confused]

I'm not too well versed in 'pup' differences, but could it be that pickups with covers have just a bit less output level, but they also produce just a bit less noise?

In addition, do they not have just a little bit of a high frequency non-harmonic resonance, or a very slight loss of low end or a 'tinny' effect?

• 3 weeks later...

The nickel covered ones have outputs of 7.3k (neck) and 7.7k (bridge), are 4-conductor, and use Alnico 5 magnets. They also cost about $200 for the set.

The uncovered one is the generic Black/Black Gibson Humbucker picture, so it could be any of their standard uncovered humbuckers.

The snarky answers rock! Lovn' the humor.

Unless we know the models, it's hard to say anything other than the cosmetics with accuracy.

Well, the nickel-covered ones are a Porter Classic-Classic set. The uncovered one is a generic Gibson double-black open coil humbucker image.

• 8 months later...

Those numbers are resistance, not output.

We're talking with guitarists here, not pickup winders or anybody who really gives a damn. The resistance values make sense to guitarists. Impedance and resonant peak, not so much.

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

We're talking with guitarists here, not pickup winders or anybody who really gives a damn. The resistance values make sense to guitarists. Impedance and resonant peak, not so much.

-Ryan

Hmm, ok, so using your logic Yngwies former Dimarzio pickups(which is rated at 23.72k) would be very high output? [confused]

if anything, the higher the resistance(k) the darker the sound [flapper][biggrin]

Hmm, ok, so using your logic Yngwies former Dimarzio pickups(which is rated at 23.72k) would be very high output? [confused]

if anything, the higher the resistance(k) the darker the sound [flapper][biggrin]

I'm not arguing that resistance has anything to do with output. I'm saying that resistance is an easy way to communicate "output" to the uninformed. Generally high output pickups have high resistance values. Low output pickups generally have lower resistance values. More people understand this than those who understand inductance, capacitance, impedance e.c.t.

To summarize, I'm simplifying it.

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived