Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone ordered a Custom Gibson Acoustic, built to your specs???

onewilyfool

No, but I came close to it. Had it all spec-ed out, ready to go. I wanted a Western Classic pre war with a customized LR Baggs system and front-mounted controls, some added bling to the 12th fret and bridge, and the estimate was $7500, and they said that was a 'rough' estimate. Then I sat down with a SJ200 Modern Classic and I was sold when I played one, so I decided to have it customized myself. I used Jeff Russell, at Weedpatch Music, in Nashville. The big thing was the custom LR Baggs electronics and the front-mounted controls. Added the Colosi 4mm abalone bone pins, a gold strap button at the neck joint, a vintage 'custom' truss rod cover. Really pleased with the final product. Only thing missing - I would have liked to replace the wheatstone pickguard with a '37 Ray Whitley bound pickguard. But, I can live with this:)

That customized pre war WC 200 is still on my GAS list tho...

My Western Classic is from the custom shop... changes I made were adirondack spruce top/braces and mahogany neck instead of the maple. I worked with Lance at E.M. Shorts and it was a good experience. Came to just under $5K for the final tab... they really do great prices at E.M. Shorts compared to most anywhere else.

I think the cost has gone up, though, this was back in early '07.

Good luck!

Archived