Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage sound and colour??

FrederikThaysen

is it one of those yellow and blue things ?

my historic has one , i dont think it adds much to the look at all

What's the significance of the sticker? Does that mean it was built by the custom shop in Nashville as opposed to Bozeman. I can't imagine they are building acoustics in Nashville.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the significance of the sticker? Does that mean it was built by the custom shop in Nashville as opposed to Bozeman. I can't imagine they are building acoustics in Nashville.

I think the only acoustics built in Nashville might have been some archtops. I'm not even sure why the Custom Shop label still exists for the Bozeman plant. And i certainly don't think it adds anything to the look or value of a J-45 TV!

I think that they primarily use that pickup in the store, so my question is: Will a LR Baggs Element ruin the sound of a True Vintage? If not I think I will just go with it. After all I do like the small volume adjuster inside the soundhole.

For some purists, put a piezo between the saddle and the bridge (which is the key point in sound transmission) definitely will affect the acoustic tone. Not so much IMHO.

I installed several UST on my guitars, perhaps there may be a slight loss of volume than before, but nothing so easily perceptible to the human ear ... and for me, the tradeoff is more than acceptable if I get the chance to play my guitar in live gigs.

The sticker is a pretty funny thing. Custom Shop kinda implies there is a place where custom guitars are built. Not the case at all. In the early 90's Gibson /Montana had a separate shop run by Ren Ferguson.The Custom Shop was physically over the existing machine shop. John Walker and Kevin Kopp worked there. It was closed down. Then they had a very small room called the Art Shop. Nothing made in there either. Sometimes there is some inly work done in there but most of that is done on the CNC machines as well. The Art Shop is now used for special wood storage. So.. The Custom Shop is more of a designation for a group of guitars that get absolutly no special treatment at all. Well maybe the sticker counts as special. I'm not sure why they use the sticker. I will leave you to draw your own conclusions. I know that no one is especially aware of the color of a 60's Hummingbird. I remember them and if you are going to call a guitar a true vintage you should at least get the color correct. The 60's Hummingbird was a Vintage Cherry Sunburst. That is a bright red sunburst. Much the same as the Brad Paisley J-45. Check it out on the Gibson website.

The Custom Shop in Nashville is a separate division and they don't make any acoustics there. Well maybe the arcch-tops but I'm not sure they are in production anymore.

I think the only acoustics built in Nashville might have been some archtops. I'm not even sure why the Custom Shop label still exists for the Bozeman plant. And i certainly don't think it adds anything to the look or value of a J-45 TV!

do TV's have a yellow and blue sticker?

I have just found out today that my Hummingbird has arrieved! I'm so excited!!!

I can't wait to finally see- and play her! I truly hope that it is cherry red and not tobacco/caramel. But I don't suppose that the salesman will be willing to send it back and order a new model in the right colour... So I guess I just have to cross my fingers and wait and see!

And I think that I will go with the LR Baggs Element pickup, and just hope that it sounds great and brings out the great sound of a True Vintage.

do TV's have a yellow and blue sticker?

The dchristo's J45TV has this logo on the back of the headstock:

images.jpg

is different from the Historic Collection sticker...(hey BBG, I had a J45 historic as yours, one of the best I've ever had!!!)

I have just found out today that my Hummingbird has arrieved! I'm so excited!!!

I can't wait to finally see- and play her! I truly hope that it is cherry red and not tobacco/caramel. But I don't suppose that the salesman will be willing to send it back and order a new model in the right colour... So I guess I just have to cross my fingers and wait and see!

And I think that I will go with the LR Baggs Element pickup, and just hope that it sounds great and brings out the great sound of a True Vintage.

You'll love it anyway...I like both colors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 60's original Bird-burst the rather flashy, 'happy' one seen here -

Mylink

Well, the guitars were not vintage then and only got their brown, caramel/tobacco hue as the nitro cellulose aged and yellowed.

Theory is that it's the late phase the TV's are trying to cover - which means emulating the look after it has become vintage.

Check the 2 1961's on the Bay (they have been there quite a while and may be too expensive to sell) and then check the 1964 and '67 also.

The first have that irresistible warm color so many people like or love - including this poster.

- the 2 others are not as brown, but half way there. Maybe due to a long life inside the case.

images.jpg

is different from the Historic Collection sticker...(hey BBG, I had a J45 historic as yours, one of the best I've ever had!!!)

thanks ritchie, that exactly whats on my 45

I had the hummingbird TV VOS limited edition (only 167 pieces in the world) 2y ago, and its color was the brown/caramel one, very dark, the same tone was also on the back and sides...The other Hummingbirds TV I've seen recently are much brighter and cherry toned than mine, but definitely darker than the hummingbird MC, which is more honeyburst rather than cherryburst...I'm pretty sure that the current H'bird TV tends to cherryburst, while the caramel/tobacco burst Is restricted for the VOS.(to simulate the aging process which tends to darken the tone, as E-minor7 said).

images.jpg

see now , that sticker is totallly ok , whoever came up with the blue and yellow one needs to have a word with themselves .

apart from that ritchie , you're right , great guitar

I had the hummingbird TV VOS limited edition (only 167 pieces in the world) 2y ago, and its color was the brown/caramel one, very dark, the same tone was also on the back and sides...The other Hummingbirds TV I've seen recently are much brighter and cherry toned than mine, but definitely darker than the hummingbird MC, which is more honeyburst rather than cherryburst...I'm pretty sure that the current H'bird TV tends to cherryburst, while the caramel/tobacco burst Is restricted for the VOS.(to simulate the aging process which tends to darken the tone, as E-minor7 said).

My Hummingbird is a TV 'VOS'. Def not tobacco-burst but is more of an 'aged' cherryburst, def more red than brown though as you may have seen from my pic(s).

Sticker inside is red/orange.

mine was very similar to that, the case had the same yellow velvet inside:

image-11555-L.jpg

If I remember correctly, mine was slightly darker, but it may depend on the lights.

I truly hope that my Hummingbird will have the same colour as the one on your picture. But I think that the black/yellow case looks less expensive and high quality as the brown/pink. Any thoughts about that?? I hope for a brown case.

I truly hope that my Hummingbird will have the same colour as the one on your picture. But I think that the black/yellow case looks less expensive and high quality as the brown/pink. Any thoughts about that?? I hope for a brown case.

Hey Frederik,

I'm quite sure the case that came with the TV is the brown one...

In the links that you have previously posted in the first page of this thread, the color of the hummingbirds on the right side of the pics, is the same IMHO. Maybe the right one Bird in the 2nd link could be slightly darker, but I think it is due to the different light...

The Bird on the left side in the first link it's a modern classic.

I'm almost 100 % that you'll get a brown/pink case. The Bird above is one of the 167.

Is the True Vintage Limited Edition the exact same colour as the normal True Vintage? I really love the red cherry so I don't hope that mine is tobacco/caramel...

I like the Modern Classic too, but it has a more orange honey burst. The salesman told me that the True Vintage only comes in Red Cherry, but I'm not sure colourwise that they all look the same.

Is the True Vintage Limited Edition the exact same colour as the normal True Vintage? I really love the red cherry so I don't hope that mine is tobacco/caramel...

I like the Modern Classic too, but it has a more orange honey burst. The salesman told me that the True Vintage only comes in Red Cherry, but I'm not sure colourwise that they all look the same.

Should be clearer if not VOS.

You have to understand there is a handful of shades – do you realize that I played a 'yellow' 2012 TV a month ago (post #5). Talking burst, sides, back, bindings - a totally different personality when it comes to looks, still absolutely a Bird, not least sonically speaking (and it was not the orangish honey-Standard).

This doesn't mean yours is gonna be like that.

The moment you open the box will be priceless - I fully understand your excitement. Keep us posted Fred.

I don't think that I understand... My question is: Is a normal True Vintage the exact same colour as the limited edition? I like the colour of the limited edition, so I cross my fingers

When are you expecting it's arrival?

I am almost positive that it will be in the 'barbie' case ( Brown on the outside, pink on the inside ).

I'd say that mine does look similar in colour to the Limited Edition version. Let's hope you get what you want.

Cheers

7001365337_0f819b3e10_b.jpg

DSC_8916 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

When are you expecting it's arrival?

I am almost positive that it will be in the 'barbie' case ( Brown on the outside, pink on the inside ).

I'd say that mine does look similar in colour to the Limited Edition version. Let's hope you get what you want.

Cheers

7001365337_0f819b3e10_b.jpg

DSC_8916 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

My Bird has already landed yesterday, but it is a 2,5 hour drive, so I'm going to get it this monday. So I only have to wait too days!!

When coming to think of it, maybe the black/yellow case isn't that bad after all. I'm sure they will both look great. Does anyone know what determines if you get a brown or black case?

If your Hummingbird looks like the limited edition, then you're very lucky! I envy you a lot, because they are so beautiful. I have asked Jarvis who has made a comparrison between the True Vintage and the Modern Classic, and he told me that the only difference there is between the True Vintage and the limited edition is that the limited uses hide glue and the other one doesn't. So the colour should be the same?

Archived