• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toby Deluxe IV bass

#1 User is offline   StijnV 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi all,

What do you all think of the new Epi-Tobias Toby Deluxe IV bass with the following specs?

http://www.epiphone....-Deluxe-IV.aspx

Thanks,

stijn

#2 User is offline   RTH 

• €piphonewiki Team
  • Group: Members
  • LocationEpiphonewiki HQ

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hey, Stijn!

The specs on the Tobias look good, though I dont know what Radiata is. Never heard of that type of wood. Glad to see Maple necks though. I'm intrigued by the Tonexpressor becuase the term dates back to the early days of Epiphone electric instruments, but to be honest, I dont really know exactly what it does. I'm guessing its some type of EQ shaping?

I take it that these are to replace the now discontinued Embassy basses? The thing that I dont like about the Tobias basses are they way they look. Too pointy. They look more like weapons than instruments. Its like the "swept-C" shape just keeps getting longer and narrower. From the EBM to the Embassy and now the Tobias, the horns keep getting more exaggerated. Too much exaggeration for me. I dont really dig the Dean-esque headstock either. But that is just my taste and purely subjective.

But like I said, the specs look very good. Something that Epiphone has been excelling at for quite some time now.
Posted Image

#3 User is online   eggs 

• I BLame it On Brad
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I thought Radiata was pine [confused]
Stuart

1998 Epiphone (Unsung) Ripper Bass - 'Crazy Chester'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) 'fenderish' Nighthawk - 'The Vulture'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) Sheraton- 'Honey'
2000 Epiphone (Samick Indonesia) AJ-100- 'Big Red'
2000(?) Lobo Mini G- 'The Mystery Midget'
1998 Epiphone Electar Tube 30 Combo
1999 Epiphone Regent Bass 50 Combo
Vox AC4TV Head & V112TV Cabinet
Yamaha P70 Electric Piano
Tascam DP-03 Portastudio

Recently Separated:
1995 Epiphone (Samick) Non Reverse Thunderbird Bass - 'The Weirdbird'
1997 Epiphone (Samick) Les Paul Junior - 'Junior' - Signed by The Man Himself
2007 Epiphone (QingDao) G400 Flame Top-'QingDao Lass' - Too young, but oh so pretty!
1981 Ibanez AR100BS Artist- 'Baby'
1981 Ibanez Ragtime Special w/ Barcus Berry Underbridge PUP
1994 Fender (MIJ) Telecaster - 'The Black Sheep'
Marshall G80RCD 80 watt Combo - I just needed some valves!

Lust List:
A mid 1990s 'Blondie' Rivoli Bass with a Big Fat Mudbucker

#4 User is offline   StijnV 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

RTH, on 30 March 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Hey, Stijn!

The specs on the Tobias look good, though I dont know what Radiata is. Never heard of that type of wood. Glad to see Maple necks though. I'm intrigued by the Tonexpressor becuase the term dates back to the early days of Epiphone electric instruments, but to be honest, I dont really know exactly what it does. I'm guessing its some type of EQ shaping?

I take it that these are to replace the now discontinued Embassy basses? The thing that I dont like about the Tobias basses are they way they look. Too pointy. They look more like weapons than instruments. Its like the "swept-C" shape just keeps getting longer and narrower. From the EBM to the Embassy and now the Tobias, the horns keep getting more exaggerated. Too much exaggeration for me. I dont really dig the Dean-esque headstock either. But that is just my taste and purely subjective.

But like I said, the specs look very good. Something that Epiphone has been excelling at for quite some time now.

Hi Rth,

The Toneexpressor boosts both treble and bass at the same time. The body shape is exact to the old USA model, pointy yes, but no more than before. Radiata is

an Asian species of the Pine family.

The natural durability of wood is influenced by its chemical composition. Radiata pine, with its low chemical levels has non-durable wood, but because the pores linking cells are relatively open, chemicals to increase durability quickly pass through the wood. The same features also mean that wood density is lower (i.e., the wood is lighter) - a real advantage for building/construction purposes. But its bending and strength properties are still good, equal to most other softwood species used for similar purposes.

Other features of radiata pine associated with its relatively uniform cell structure and even density are:

• good finish when cut and sanded
• easy to nail but still holds nails well
• paint and other coatings dry to a good finish
• little 'resin bleeding' once dried.

Kind regards,

Stijn

#5 User is offline   Hungrycat 

• SUSPENDED
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

StijnV, on 03 April 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

easy to nail but still holds nails well

LOLWUT? Why is Gibson putting nails in guitars?
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   MortallyWounded 

• LocationDanbury, CT

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

On behalf of the great Michael Tobias, please be aware that he has absolutely nothing to do with these things other than the fact that he designed the shape of the body waaay back when he and his California team made real basses. Other than the shape of the body and headstock, and his great name, these are NOTHING like the original Tobias basses.

I won't even TOUCH them at the store. They are cursed. There was one in a floor stand, directly in my way to picking up a beautiful Ibanez. I couldn't reach the Ibanez without moving the Tobias. Since I couldn't push it aside with my foot, I came back later once someone had removed it from the floor.

I'm not saying they're junk. But I'm not saying they're any good, either.
The guitarist detuned one of my strings and he won't tell me which one!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users