Gibson Guitar Board: Jarrett Guitars - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jarrett Guitars Anyone have any personal experience with this brand?

#1 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

They look like very nice guitars - affordable and made in the US of A:

http://www.jarrettguitars.com/

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   RaSTuS 

• Occasional Head Banger !!!
  • LocationMackay, Australia.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have them bookmarked already, I believe they made a run of guitars commemorating Shelby (of Shelby Mustang fame), they had GT stripes and the Shelby badges and logos, I was interested in getting one of them.
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
PEDALS: ............
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
AMPS & CABS: .
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Not bad

#4 User is offline   RTH 

• €piphonewiki Team
  • LocationEpiphonewiki HQ

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Starting at $1295 is affordable? Ok then.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

My mistake, it was Cobra, I'm a massive Ford fan and was really jonesing for one a few years back.

GUITARS: ........... 60 odd lumps of Wood, Aluminium and Plastic with many and varied electric bits attached.
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, Crowther Double Hotcake, Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Korg Pitch Black Tuner.
Egnater Tweaker Head (15w), Roland CM-30 (30w), Line 6 Spider II (30w), Peavey TKO 115 (80W), Marshall MF Head (350w) Line 6 Quad Box (320w).

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostRTH, on 31 March 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Starting at $1295 is affordable? Ok then.

They sold a Zaffiro model on eBay last week for $841: http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_1373wt_931 There's another Zaffiro for sale near here on Craigslist for $875: http://philadelphia....2912187275.html

When you look at the wood, materials, electronics and that it's a custom-ordered, hand-made in the USA product, I'd say that's a very reasonable price in today's market where big name manufacturers are selling mass-made guitars for $1,500 and up with recycled paper and phenolic resin fretboards. You can spend around $800 for some MIC Epiphones.

Some of them are not my cup o' tea, but others methinks are quite nice: http://www.jarrettgu...latinum-series/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

-- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

View Postbrianh, on 31 March 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

That's the one Brian, I'd have a different number on mine though.

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Morkolo 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Looks like the qualities there but I'll have to pass on the looks.

#10 User is offline   Hungrycat 

• SUSPENDED
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

View Postbrianh, on 31 March 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

where big name manufacturers are selling mass-made guitars for $1,500 and up with recycled paper and phenolic resin fretboards.

I still don't understand why some are still complaining about this. It is a good material for fretboards. Is it as good as say, ebony? No, but it still doesn't suck. In fact it's especially exceptional for fretless bass.

Those Jarretts look nice, but I think I'd rather have a Carvin for about the same money. More options.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Not complaining at all, I've heard good things about Richlite. All I was saying us that it's a less expensive material on a more expensive guitar.
-- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   RaSTuS 

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostHungrycat, on 02 April 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I still don't understand why some are still complaining about this. It is a good material for fretboards. Is it as good as say, ebony? No, but it still doesn't suck. In fact it's especially exceptional for fretless bass.

View Postbrianh, on 02 April 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Not complaining at all, I've heard good things about Richlite. All I was saying us that it's a less expensive material on a more expensive guitar.

I have two guitars with phenolic boards, unfortunately they're both EMG equipped so any tonal tests aren't really possible, but the do play brilliantly. The last guitar (so far) in my "Guitar of the Moment" thread, the Parker Hornet V has one, as mentioned, it's surface is like glass and would be a big benders dream to play.

Parker Hornet V post

Some of my collection
A man of many faces !!!
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Another no reserve auction, this time for Forza model: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Posted Image
-- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   thomasm972 

• LocationBoston

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

My linkJarrett makes great guitars. I own both a Forza and a Zaffiro. They got a 5 out of 5 Review from Premier Guitar and was named the 2009 Premier Guitar Gear Award. I also own many Gibson's, Suhrs, Tom Anderson's, Fender Custom Shops and Jarrett is as good as any of them for a much better price. The service is incredible and they will build any design you can think of. Check them out at their Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/jarrettguitars

#15 User is offline   thomasm972 

• LocationBoston

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

My linkCheck out the Jarrett Facebook Page for all kinds of cool photos of their guitars.

#16 User is offline   Hungrycat 

• SUSPENDED
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

View Postbrianh, on 02 April 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I wasn't singling you out, I was just using generalities because your comment reminded me about it. You have to admit, A LOT of people have complained about it. As far as phenolic and Richlite go I'm not sure exactly how much that material costs. I know it's cheaper than high-end fretboard woods like Ebony and Purplehart, but I would hazard a guess that it IS more expensive than say, Indian Rosewood or Maple. But I don't really know, it could indeed be much less costly than anything else. I just know it's a good material.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostHungrycat, on 02 April 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

I wasn't singling you out, I was just using generalities because your comment reminded me about it. You have to admit, A LOT of people have complained about it. As far as phenolic and Richlite go I'm not sure exactly how much that material costs. I know it's cheaper than high-end fretboard woods like Ebony and Purplehart, but I would hazard a guess that it IS more expensive than say, Indian Rosewood or Maple. But I don't really know, it could indeed be much less costly than anything else. I just know it's a good material.

Your not alone in your opinion - the Gibson Midtown Custom is a hit - I waited for one for three months, then cancelled my order out of frustration.

I'd guess that Richlite is far cheaper to use than just about any real wood product because it's 100% consistent, never warps or splits, and has no knots, divots, pores or other defects.
-- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   james_edward 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostHungrycat, on 02 April 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

We discussed this before, Richlite is not even close to what is commonly known as "phenolic resin board" which has been used in instruments for years, you cannot make a comparison between the two as they are that different.

Richlite is lower on resin, higher on paper content and less than half the weight, it's well known in the millwork industry and as someone who's purchased and cut plenty of both materials I can tell you Richlite is much softer and far less durable.

So as I tried to note late last year when you decided to enlighten me with your wisdom, while Phenolic resin board is fine for Fretboards, Richlite is not.

PS, all things considered Richlite is by far the least expensive, far less than any suitable wood including any of the Rosewoods...it's not even close.

#19 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Oh...........I thought the "Subway" sub guy started making guitars......[blush] [blink] [bored] :unsure: [sneaky] ............
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic