Gibson Guitar Board: Does Gibson les paul necks feel the same as Epiphone? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does Gibson les paul necks feel the same as Epiphone?

#1 User is offline   rhoadspro 

• Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hello. I have had a epi Zakk Wylde guitar for 4 years and love the neck.

Does a LEs Paul by Gibson with 60s neck feel the same? I dont want a thicker neck. Thanks

#2 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postrhoadspro, on 03 April 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Hello. I have had a epi Zakk Wylde guitar for 4 years and love the neck.

Does a LEs Paul by Gibson with 60s neck feel the same? I dont want a thicker neck. Thanks

There are various necks, on various Les Paul guitars! Some are '60's profile, other's '50's,
and still other's are a combination, of those. "Compound radius," as it were. NONE of them
are truly consistent, even guitar to guitar, of the same spec's, due to the hand shaping and
finishing. The best thing you can do, is try out as many as you can, until you find THE ONE,
that's right, for you.

Cheers, and good hunting!

CB

#3 User is offline   Gary Moore Tribute 

• "The K-ON! Guitarist"
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

From personal experience Epiphones have a Poly neck these can be a pro as they are quick to play on however they can get sticky very easily so need cleaning regularly.

Gibson necks finished in Nitro have the pros of being fast but the "sticking" doesn't happen anywhere near as often

The 3rd Choice is a "Waxed" / "Satin" neck these are quite quick but are only on Faded & Satin studios models BUT these models are 1 or 2lbs lighter!
The Gary Moore & Joe Bonamassa Blues Player
Posted Image
Gibson Les Paul Standard 08 DB Joe Bonamassa (Signed)
Chapman Guitars ML-1 #21 Crunchie ASB
Fender Mustang 69 MH CAR | Jazz Bass 50th Anniversary 62 3TB (Japan)

#4 User is offline   Texasbluezman 

• Trad Pro 50's Fanatic
  • LocationBaytown, Tx

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostGary Moore Tribute, on 03 April 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

The 3rd Choice is a "Waxed" / "Satin" neck these are quite quick but are only on Faded & Satin studios models BUT these models are 1 or 2lbs lighter!

I believe satin backs and necks are on the Traditional Pro also. But they are not lighter, because of the solid body.

2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 50's
2000 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom L.E. Silverburst

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Version 1 Silver box
Dunlop Crybaby JH-1B (Jimi Hendrix)
Boss TR-2, NS-2, PH-2
Korg Pitchblack
Diamond Cornerstone

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue w/NOS tubes in V1(12AY7),a ECC803S in V2,stock in V3 & stock power tubes for now!

Stock Peavey Ultra 60 4X10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory!

Don't argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!

#5 User is offline   Angellus 

• Underground Gibson Player
  • LocationLondon United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostGary Moore Tribute, on 03 April 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

From personal experience Epiphones have a Poly neck these can be a pro as they are quick to play on however they can get sticky very easily so need cleaning regularly.

Gibson necks finished in Nitro have the pros of being fast but the "sticking" doesn't happen anywhere near as often

Zak Wylde's guitars have shaved necks with no finish on the back. This was done to reduce friction when playing fast. perhaps he had extra sweaty palms or personal preference

I know what you mean about the epi finishes they dont look great after a sweaty gig
Gibson Left Hand Traditional Modified
Gibson Left Hand SG Modified
Gibson Left Hand ES 335 Modified

Guitar Repairs, Mods & Maintenance
Black Crow Guitars

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users