Gibson Brands Forums

Does Gibson les paul necks feel the same as Epiphone?

rhoadspro

Hello. I have had a epi Zakk Wylde guitar for 4 years and love the neck.

Does a LEs Paul by Gibson with 60s neck feel the same? I dont want a thicker neck. Thanks

There are various necks, on various Les Paul guitars! Some are '60's profile, other's '50's,

and still other's are a combination, of those. "Compound radius," as it were. NONE of them

are truly consistent, even guitar to guitar, of the same spec's, due to the hand shaping and

finishing. The best thing you can do, is try out as many as you can, until you find THE ONE,

that's right, for you.

Cheers, and good hunting!

CB

From personal experience Epiphones have a Poly neck these can be a pro as they are quick to play on however they can get sticky very easily so need cleaning regularly.

Gibson necks finished in Nitro have the pros of being fast but the "sticking" doesn't happen anywhere near as often

The 3rd Choice is a "Waxed" / "Satin" neck these are quite quick but are only on Faded & Satin studios models BUT these models are 1 or 2lbs lighter!

The 3rd Choice is a "Waxed" / "Satin" neck these are quite quick but are only on Faded & Satin studios models BUT these models are 1 or 2lbs lighter!

I believe satin backs and necks are on the Traditional Pro also. But they are not lighter, because of the solid body.

From personal experience Epiphones have a Poly neck these can be a pro as they are quick to play on however they can get sticky very easily so need cleaning regularly.

Gibson necks finished in Nitro have the pros of being fast but the "sticking" doesn't happen anywhere near as often

Zak Wylde's guitars have shaved necks with no finish on the back. This was done to reduce friction when playing fast. perhaps he had extra sweaty palms or personal preference

I know what you mean about the epi finishes they dont look great after a sweaty gig

Archived