Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to Forum

#1 User is offline   gstring120 

• Group: Members
  • LocationHot Springs, AR

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'm new to the Forum but have been following it for awhile. Here's the pic of my 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I've upgraded with Seymour Duncan JB (bridge), Duncan Jazz (neck), Grover tulip tuners, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch, Planet Waves jack, and heavier wiring.

Attached Image: HPIM0240.JPG

#2 User is offline   Cruznolfart 

• Chief Bull Loony
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to the forums, gstring, glad to have you.

#3 User is offline   4Hayden 

• Just Jerking Your Chain

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Welcome gstring,you'll love it here

#4 User is offline   LessPaul 

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

I just bought a wine red classic custom. I've never been a member of a forum before, but thought I would try this one.

#5 User is offline   mikekefr 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHampton roads Va

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hey and welcome to the forum,nice axe you have there. [thumbup]
gear, schecter c-1 classic, schecter diamond series omen 6, bc rich ironbird nj series, guild burnside flyin v, jackson js32t flying v, dean baby v, alvarez tele, fender mexican strat w x2n and paf, epiphone ace frehley model, epiphone lp special 2, dean edge bass, dean exotica grand auditorium bubinga acoustic/ele., dean performer acoustic/ele., fender 12 string acous., alvarez artist acou/ele., boss gt-8 split signaled into marshall MG100 HD4X half stack and a crate gx130c combo on a 4x12 crate half stack.Retired gear digitech gsp 2101studio and a johnson j-station.

#6 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Howdy and welcome!

Btw, I loaded a pair of Duncan's in my 02 LP standard. (Bridge: JB, neck: SH-1 59) not sure what your experiences are, but being a volume control freak, I quickly noticed the Duncan's with the stock pots caused very steep roll off in volume, (10 to 7 was all she wrote) and drastic drop tone - this was a big deal for me. So after some research, I went about installing better pots (CTS long shaft 500k) and adding the Treble Bleed circuit (set at about past mid point for both pots) and this did the trick for me. The volume roll off is now far more gradual, (right down to 1~2 range where it cleans up nicely for rhythm and chord articulation) and the tonal characteristics are maintained through out. Total SCORE! [The JB bridge PUP is a concealed weapon!]

Anyway, just thought I'd add those 2 cents..

Cheers!

#7 User is offline   gstring120 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

@ Kidblast,

Thank you. I also replaced the stock pots with CTS 500k long-shaft pots and .047 capacitors and haven't had any problems. I did all this at the same time I replaced the pickups and tuning machines. And yes, that Duncan JB is a "concealed weapon"! The tone and sustain is great! Later I plan on replacing the stock bridge and tailpiece with probably a locking Tone Pros.

#8 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hey G...

So yea, I wonder if Duncan pickups just wind up requiring these kind of components. My other LP Standard ('95 all stock 490/498) is great, only thing I had to do since I got it in 95, was replace the machine heads (installed same Gibby style heads it came with)

#9 User is offline   gstring120 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Kidblast,

I don't know if the Duncan pickups require those componets or not. I've built two Warmoth guitars; one with a Duncan Distortion (bridge) and Duncan Jazz (neck) and the other with a Duncan Hot Rails (bridge) and Cool Rails (neck and middle)and have always used CTS 500k pots and .047 capacitors with great results. I have heard that 500k pots are better than the 250k for use with humbuckers though.

#10 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hi G,

Agreed, 250k is typical for single coils, unless it's a p90, then 300ks are usually advised.

with HBs, I always have used 500k, I believe (but no way to confirm) the stock pots were also 500k, but they worked poorly with the Duncans, yet, no problems with the stock pickups. It was only till the pickup change out that I noticed the difference in response, btw the cap you have installed I believe will essentially do the same, where as the TB circuit lets you vary what gets thru and what gets filtered via a trim pot that comes with the circuit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users