Gibson Guitar Board: New to forum...and seeking wisdom - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to forum...and seeking wisdom

#1 User is offline   Java Man 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 03-April 12

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

I do not own a Gibson guitar. Yet. More on that later.

Some background - I'm an American who is a long-time resident in Asia. On the music side, I play drums, but not professionally (for you serious gearheads: Brady drums, Bosphorus cymbals, heheh). I took up guitar about four years ago, and have a Martin HD-35. I play a fair bit, but almost entirely for my own amusement. Bluesy stuff and classic rock.

I've been interested in getting an electric guitar for some time now. Here's the rub. Where I live (Jakarta, Indonesia) there are NO left-handed guitars. If you're wondering, I brought the Martin back from a trip to the US. Thus, I really haven't gone into music shops and played a bunch of different electrics in order to make a most-informed judgement. Under better circumstances, I would play quite a few, buy a not too expensive guitar, then upgrade. But I don't go to the US every six months. So...

In turns out that I will be traveling to the States in a few months and was strongly considering bringing an electric back with me. I'm inclined towards a Les Paul, for a whole host of reasons. I've seen inklings of a new line of LPs that have either just come out or will come out shortly? Should I wait? Also: traditional or standard? If you asked me today, I guess I'd lean towards traditional. I digress...let me know what you think.

BTW: we can get amps here, although not the selection that there is in the States. I actually have a Peavey(?) 5150 in my home studio that I could use, at least initially.

Many thanks in advance for any constructive comments!

Java Man

#2 User is offline   sneddy72 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 48
  • Joined: 29-June 10
  • LocationKettering, Northants, UK

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

welcome fellow newbie and good luck with the LP purchase!

#3 User is offline   pfox14 

  • BANNED
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3374
  • Joined: 05-August 08

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Welcome to the forum. The LP or an SG would give you the opportunity of finding plenty of left-handed examples to chose from.

#4 User is offline   Guitaricky 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 78
  • Joined: 18-February 12
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Welcome Java Man. I lived in Jakarta too from 1997-1999 in Pondok Indah. Near the end of my stay I saw a Gibson Chet Atkins for sale in the local paper (I think it was the Jakarta post). I ended up buying it for $800 !! from a student from one of the local universities. We became friends and he tracked down another two guitars for me a Les Paul and an Eric Clapton strat. It might be worth sticking an ad in the local paper, you might be pleasantly surprised. There are over 300 million Indonesians surely some lefties out there [thumbup]

#5 User is offline   jfast 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 02-February 12
  • LocationOntario , Canada

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Buy the Les Paul you want, and I recommend a Standard with the top that you find the best looking. I have a couple that I won't sell unless I'm out of food and water, a 2001 honeyburst flame top and 'the mapleburst' a 1958 VOS Custom shop. Both of these guitars have become part of the permanent stable for the studio, and when we aren't playing them, the tops are a feast for your eyes.The sound of all the Les Pauls I have played never disappointed, and if the set up is right for you, you'll want to hang on to it for the rest of your life.... not so much wisdom, but not bad advice. Look the guitar over with good glasses if you need them, and scrutinize any damage and or well done repairs. regards, Jfast

#6 User is offline   Cruznolfart 

  • Chief Bull Loony
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4906
  • Joined: 28-October 08
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hiya, Javaman, welcome to the forums. You'll find more opinions here than you can swing an axe at, take your pick. Glad to have you along.



#7 User is offline   mikekefr 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 617
  • Joined: 06-February 12
  • LocationHampton roads Va

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hey there and welcome to the forum [thumbup]
gear, schecter c-1 classic, schecter diamond series omen 6, bc rich ironbird nj series, guild burnside flyin v, jackson js32t flying v, dean baby v, alvarez tele, fender mexican strat w x2n and paf, epiphone ace frehley model, epiphone lp special 2, dean edge bass, dean exotica grand auditorium bubinga acoustic/ele., dean performer acoustic/ele., fender 12 string acous., alvarez artist acou/ele., boss gt-8 split signaled into marshall MG100 HD4X half stack and a crate gx130c combo on a 4x12 crate half stack.Retired gear digitech gsp 2101studio and a johnson j-station.

#8 User is offline   Java Man 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 03-April 12

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostGuitaricky, on 04 April 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Welcome Java Man. I lived in Jakarta too from 1997-1999 in Pondok Indah. Near the end of my stay I saw a Gibson Chet Atkins for sale in the local paper (I think it was the Jakarta post). I ended up buying it for $800 !! from a student from one of the local universities. We became friends and he tracked down another two guitars for me a Les Paul and an Eric Clapton strat. It might be worth sticking an ad in the local paper, you might be pleasantly surprised. There are over 300 million Indonesians surely some lefties out there [thumbup]


Thanks for the welcome, and all the best from the Big Durian, Guitaricky. You certainly chose an interesting time to live here.

I've looked high and low for lefties here, and have had feelers out for years. The are a number of reasons why there are an unusually low number of lefties, which I won't get into here. That said, there's no shortage of musos. Even if I do pick up an LP when back in the States, I would probably jump on any lefty that I came across here, of decent shape and fair price. Thanks again for the advice!

#9 User is offline   4Hayden 

  • Just Jerking Your Chain
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4112
  • Joined: 10-October 11

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Javaman, welcome to the forums

#10 User is online   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3277
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Welcome Javaman,

There are really no wrong answers to a question like this. It's really down to personal preference and personal budget. Gibson used to have a saying "There is no substitute for a Gibson". I tend to agree. Been at this for over 45 years, have a reasonably sized collection, including two LP Standards. While I do enjoy playing my Fenders they have their limits (my personal preference, your mileage may vary.) A Les Paul is what usually bring to gigs, recording sessions, and jams. They give me everything I need, extremely versatile, very comfortable to play, massive amounts of sustain and always great tone. IMO, I don't see how you can go wrong with a good Les Paul Standard. Good luck on your decision, and safe travels.

#11 User is offline   pippy 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9657
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd agree about buying either a Traditional or a Standard.

The Traditional is closer, spec-wise, to how the Standard used to be. The 'new' Standard is a more modern take on the regular design in certain details.

Play a few when you get the chance as they vary, as individuals, from guitar to guitar - especially in terms of weight where the Standard is concerned. These have had a considerable mass of wood removed from the body. This is neither a bad nor a good thing. It's just how they are made. Some are very light - around 7 lbs - and others are more like the 'usual' weight for a Les Paul (such as the Traditional) - typically about 9 lbs. You'll have to decide for yourself which you prefer as it's a very personal thing.

On a small point; if possible I wouldn't advise buying something now and upgrading later unless there's not another option financially speaking. All that will happen is you lose money in the process. It'll be cheaper in the long run if you can buy the right one for you first-off.

P.

#12 User is offline   SlashPerryBurst 

  • Thin Lizzy fan
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 394
  • Joined: 25-May 11
  • LocationFrom Glasgow, Living in Tokyo

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

View Postpippy, on 05 April 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

On a small point; if possible I wouldn't advise buying something now and upgrading later unless there's not another option financially speaking. All that will happen is you lose money in the process. It'll be cheaper in the long run if you can buy the right one for you first-off.

P.


Agreed. After a few cheapo guitars, I bought myself a Gibson Les Paul Standard in early 2004. Rather than losing money and working my way up every now and then, I bought a great guitar that has really defined my playing. I've done hundreds of gigs with it and every recording I've ever made. If I was to ever sell it, I'd get most of the money back. Although I'm not planning on doing that. My Les Paul became the benchmark. I've played a few guitars that came close, but none that have matched or beat my guitar.
Have cut back on my equipment do to circumstance. Just my #1 Gibson Les Paul Standard just now. No amps, no pedals.

#13 User is offline   Java Man 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 03-April 12

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

View Postpippy, on 05 April 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd agree about buying either a Traditional or a Standard.

The Traditional is closer, spec-wise, to how the Standard used to be. The 'new' Standard is a more modern take on the regular design in certain details.

Play a few when you get the chance as they vary, as individuals, from guitar to guitar - especially in terms of weight where the Standard is concerned. These have had a considerable mass of wood removed from the body. This is neither a bad nor a good thing. It's just how they are made. Some are very light - around 7 lbs - and others are more like the 'usual' weight for a Les Paul (such as the Traditional) - typically about 9 lbs. You'll have to decide for yourself which you prefer as it's a very personal thing.

On a small point; if possible I wouldn't advise buying something now and upgrading later unless there's not another option financially speaking. All that will happen is you lose money in the process. It'll be cheaper in the long run if you can buy the right one for you first-off.

P.


Pippy (and SlashPerryBurst) - I'm with you on the small point. I took that approach when I got my first guitar (a Martin HD-35). I have never regretted that decision. I'm of an age where I'm not interested in mucking around, and have the means to get what I want.

This may be hard to believe, but I have never played an electric guitar. However, I can get around pretty well now on an acoustic, so that first experience with an electric should be a real treat!

Thanks for the advice.

#14 User is offline   Rabs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6172
  • Joined: 15-January 12
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostJava Man, on 03 April 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I do not own a Gibson guitar. Yet. More on that later.

Some background - I'm an American who is a long-time resident in Asia. On the music side, I play drums, but not professionally (for you serious gearheads: Brady drums, Bosphorus cymbals, heheh). I took up guitar about four years ago, and have a Martin HD-35. I play a fair bit, but almost entirely for my own amusement. Bluesy stuff and classic rock.

I've been interested in getting an electric guitar for some time now. Here's the rub. Where I live (Jakarta, Indonesia) there are NO left-handed guitars. If you're wondering, I brought the Martin back from a trip to the US. Thus, I really haven't gone into music shops and played a bunch of different electrics in order to make a most-informed judgement. Under better circumstances, I would play quite a few, buy a not too expensive guitar, then upgrade. But I don't go to the US every six months. So...

In turns out that I will be traveling to the States in a few months and was strongly considering bringing an electric back with me. I'm inclined towards a Les Paul, for a whole host of reasons. I've seen inklings of a new line of LPs that have either just come out or will come out shortly? Should I wait? Also: traditional or standard? If you asked me today, I guess I'd lean towards traditional. I digress...let me know what you think.

BTW: we can get amps here, although not the selection that there is in the States. I actually have a Peavey(?) 5150 in my home studio that I could use, at least initially.

Many thanks in advance for any constructive comments!

Java Man

Hello and welcome...

and my two pennies worth are that yes you should wait for the new Standard if you can, all coming in lefty versions and amazing flame tops AND new wiring with coil splits and phasing and what they call a true bypass where you bypass the volume and tone knobs and the pickups are feeding directy into the amp.. man it sounds sweet :) but as ever down to personal taste ;)
http://www2.gibson.c...l-Standard.aspx
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#15 User is offline   Java Man 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 03-April 12

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostRabs, on 07 April 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Hello and welcome...

and my two pennies worth are that yes you should wait for the new Standard if you can, all coming in lefty versions and amazing flame tops AND new wiring with coil splits and phasing and what they call a true bypass where you bypass the volume and tone knobs and the pickups are feeding directy into the amp.. man it sounds sweet :) but as ever down to personal taste ;)
http://www2.gibson.c...l-Standard.aspx


Rabs,

I've been looking at the Gibson site every couple of days, and was mystified as to why there didn't seem to be any mention of the new Standards. I don't know if they just updated the site, or you managed to navigate to something I overlooked. Either way, thanks for sending the link!

Fantastic! And it appears that they've really broadened to finishes available to southpaws. I just hope the new ones make it into the distribution channels, etc by late June. Oh - and yes, i'm leaning Standard.

Good times....

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users