Gibson Brands Forums

Very suspicious.....

J-200 Koa

Been paying attention to these suspicious ebay listings just so I can know what to look for in event I get another bad case of GAS...but what is it on this one that looks suspicious?

the face of the headstock should be black, the back dont look like any mahogany that Ive ever seen, the rosette is wrong, the orange label should be round, and that is just just starters

Been paying attention to these suspicious ebay listings just so I can know what to look for in event I get another bad case of GAS...but what is it on this one that looks suspicious?

Shape of the headstock is a dead giveaway. The interior

label is all wrong. The most obvious is the body shape:

looks like a square shoulder.

Educate me here fellas. What is it about the "shape" of the headstock that is the tell. .....

The shape is too hard to get on that angle. It's the script logo - wrong slant and wrong placement, the bottom of the G should extend close to the D turner. The crown or thistle should in recent models should be starting at some point between the A and B tuners. The front of the headstock should have a black overlay (traditionally holly wood but who knows these days).

Also, the back of the headstock should have "wings" - pieces of extra wood glued to the side edges of the headstock to bring it to proper width, on both Gibson acoustics and electrics (except narrow headstocks like on the Melody Maker).

gthsbk.jpg

I saw this on ebay and came here to see if anyone mentioned it. Aside from the fake headstock, let's not forget the square shoulder as opposed to slope shoulder. The guitar also has a white nut as opposed to a black graphite nut as found on the current standard. That's not a mahogany back either.

Anyone going to file a complaint with EBAY? Then never do anything.....

msp_mellow.gif

I notified eBay of the auction, but apparently they aren't going to do anything. Bids over $1500 now - somebody is going to get suckered big time.

I notified eBay of the auction, but apparently they aren't going to do anything. Bids over $1500 now - somebody is going to get suckered big time.

Apparently it now has a rosewood neck!?!

I sent the seller a question, do the 'questions' to the seller eventually show up on the listing page too?

Wings or no wings, the edges of the headstock are far too straight to pass for genuine Gibson (the Songwriters without the black veneer don't look suspicious, precisely because they have the right amount of flare on the edge).

In some photos, from some angles, especially when the front is in view, the square shoulders are not so obvious, but taken from behind, they stand out like the shoulder pads on The Refrigerator.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=the+refrigerator+william+perry&hl=hu&biw=1366&bih=622&tbm=isch&tbnid=fMPQukT7VOi9aM:&imgrefurl=http://www.memorialdaysports.com/2011/04/72-william-refrigerator-perry.html&docid=au_LNDwK9ONoMM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-APtgKyd88R0/TZqKaDQMPsI/AAAAAAAAAF0/C4ZOSyMGSRU/s1600/william_perry.jpg&w=468&h=533&ei=K2N_T--WAYLgtQbO25nYBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=243&vpy=180&dur=1142&hovh=240&hovw=210&tx=114&ty=118&sig=115577147634420267165&page=2&tbnh=146&tbnw=138&start=24&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:24,i:167

Those shoulders are as round as the back is Honduran and mahogany.

But you chaps have all missed the real giveaway sign: the scratchguard is in the 'correct' position, unlike those on genuine Bozeman Gibsons. Given the regular complaints on this forum about said placement, I'm surprised nobody has spotted this 'advantage' yet. Or put in a bid on anything so aesthetically pleasing. [flapper]

Archived