Gibson Brands Forums

Finally up on the site New 2012 Standards

Rabs

Oh man I want one of these so bad.. Hopefullly with it being the new standard I will have a few years to get a new job and save up for one.. And im REALLY glad to see that they kept the asymmetrical neck, they are GREAT!!... The Fireball finish is my fave one (and the Dessert Burst, and the Trans Black, and the Amber and the tea burst ohh damn it lol :))

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

LPNSTDPFBCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

and look at the finish options.. NICE!! and the split coils, phase switches.. AWESOME!!!!

Image1-6.jpg

I really wonder what the new "modern weight relief" is like. I might consider one of these if it's anything like the old weight relief, but if it's as bad as chambered, then they can forget it. I don't mind the options being out there, but I have become accustomed to the heavy, solid feel of a les paul. I don't want a featherweight hanging from my shoulders.

Anyone have any info on the new process?

I really wonder what the new "modern weight relief" is like. I might consider one of these if it's anything like the old weight relief, but if it's as bad as chambered, then they can forget it. I don't mind the options being out there, but I have become accustomed to the heavy, solid feel of a les paul. I don't want a featherweight hanging from my shoulders.

Anyone have any info on the new process?

If you look on the specs sheet on the main site theres this picture.. as far as I know its just a new shape which is a spoke style rather than the swiss cheese style.. looks like this

Body.jpg

Ah okay. Not crazy about the whole weight relief concept. Each to their own. It does say on the main page on the right hand side under product features "Solid Mahogany body with standard or grade AAA-premium figured Maple top". Not sure how much longer they can get away with calling it a "solid mahogany body". Still, at least they're being open about it. From what I've heard, they started chambering unannounced. [thumbdn]

It's a real shame in my opinion. In the last decade or so, Gibson have been on a real high. I've played many excellent examples, but the declining solidity of the LP body is a turn off for me.

Ah okay. Not crazy about the whole weight relief concept. Each to their own. It does say on the main page on the right hand side under product features "Solid Mahogany body with standard or grade AAA-premium figured Maple top". Not sure how much longer they can get away with calling it a "solid mahogany body". Still, at least they're being open about it. From what I've heard, they started chambering unannounced. [thumbdn]

It's a real shame in my opinion. In the last decade or so, Gibson have been on a real high. I've played many excellent examples, but the declining solidity of the LP body is a turn off for me.

yeah haha I saw that in the end it was pointed out to me on the main site lol.. I was looking at the specs pages..

Also I have to say I have three Les Pauls, a Classic from 2002 which is HEAVY like 11 lbs or so, a 2008 which is weight relieved and a Tribute which is chambered.. The tribute is very light, but I like that for mucking around it feels like more fun but the 2008 feels almost as heavy as the Classic (about 9lbs), it just takes that edge off.. Sound wise they are just all different, cant say one is better or worse but i love them all :) they all sound like Gibsons for sure (the tribute has a monster sound for something so light)

I have no problems with weight releifed Les Pauls at all, they still feel solid to me... Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my classic, it is darn heavy and is still (for sound) my fave guitar.. But then it has those super hot pickups on it which i really like the sound of (some people dont like them that hot). As you say its all down to personal taste..

I also wonder if by saying Solid Mahogany if they actually mean a one piece back?

The translucent amber and cherry sunburst finishes are gorgeous. I can't wait to see how that modern weight relief feels like (the only thing I'm asking for is less weight on the neck).

Seems like Gibson are in a good mood these days. After the Classic Custom and Classic Plus, we get a new (and better?) Standard for 2012. [thumbup]

Does anybody knows if there's a difference between the pickups of the 2008 Standard and the 2012 Standard apart of that coil tapping thing ? They seem to be burstbucker pro on both models.

Well I've decided to get a Desert Burst Standard and do the changes similiar to my vos, changing the covers to black & possibly adding "crown" tuners

Man, your a guitar buying machine :)

(im just jealous ;))

I've got to sell the 08 Standard first [unsure] But I feel I have a "look" of guitar thats suits my tastes, which I think is great...

Yes lol.. im having similar feelings about my 08.. If it was like four months ago I may have just sold it but have really gotten into it over the last few months and I do love pretty much everything about it (and that its a wine red one that ive always wanted and slightly flamed).. BUT man those 2012 flame tops and those wiring options and the fact it has the assymetrical neck an all (and its good they ditched the locking jack cos that does annoy me a bit) just really makes me want one..

Let alone when the bring the 2012 studios out.. damn you for making so many amazing guitars Gibson its not fair :P

ooh all those beautiful lefties ..... but choosing a colour is gonna be hard. Desert burst and fireball look great, but goldtop and mist blue also look good. Lots of inbetween bursts also. Probably want a burst so the solid colours are out. Haven't made it easy have they ...

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought one in Fireball for a pretty good deal at the GC booth at the Dallas Guitar Show. The guitar sounds amazing and is a blast to play! Not in love with the color so I'm going to try to exchange it for either Light, Honey, or Tea burst if my local GC will let me.

Here's a blurry cell phone photo of the Fireball. The photo has been altered a little on some weird iPhone app (can't remember the name), but it really makes the color pop.

IMG952552.jpg

Archived