Gibson Brands Forums

Smoking while playing

WahKeen

I used to smoke while I played. Smoking is cool and a useful tool for those that aren't really cool by themselves. But now I don't need it because I am cool. Also, I gave up smoking when I started shopping for life insurance.

180029_194006690623270_100000418215622_630419_5984080_n.jpg

Gee, most of the clubs we play in are now non-smoking, and family friendly- Around here, those places are paying the most, and draw the biggest crowds. (sports bar/resturant type places.)

So, not only are you not allowed to smoke, but, you must play the "G" rated sets-

Last week we were playing, the local cops decided to make a walk-though, it was funny, because they had to keep side-stepping all the little kids running around the place.

It just seems strange to me as an survivor of the 'bar wars' to see young children in the place, even up past midnight! [confused]

I used to smoke while I played. Smoking is cool and a useful tool for those that aren't really cool by themselves. But now I don't need it because I am cool. Also, I gave up smoking when I started shopping for life insurance.

180029_194006690623270_100000418215622_630419_5984080_n.jpg

Nice V! I had one just like it.

I still smoke, but never on stage. I just think that smoking (and drinking) during a show is unprofessional. Now breaks are another thing! [biggrin]

Outside of Rock and Roll I would agree. Rocker's without smokes and booze is like Christians without Christ, in most cases it goes hand in hand.

Illegal now to smoke indoors/in all concert halls in UK.

I'll sneak out for one - maybe - during the break. You have to be careful now as so many people are anti it; you might not get called for the gig if the bandleader or the other musicians don't tolerate it.

Best story: in the 1980s I played rhythm guitar, pure rhythm guitar!! - in a Django-style trio/quartet. The violinist was a doctor of music and the bassist a genuine old 50s piss-artist virtuoso jazzer, musical heaven for me and I learnt a lot. We had a Sunday lunchtime residency.

I was puffing away while playing with my eyes closed and suddenly felt something tapping on the cigarette in my mouth.

I opened my eyes to see a punter with an ashtray in one hand, 3 inches from my face, tapping the ash off! PFFAHH!

Needless to say I missed the changes for the next few bars. The bassplayer (RIP Brian you old git) laughed so hard he nearly lost it. Happy days.

Illegal now to smoke indoors/in all concert halls in UK.

I'll sneak out for one - maybe - during the break. You have to be careful now as so many people are anti it; you might not get called for the gig if the bandleader or the other musicians don't tolerate it.

Best story: in the 1980s I played rhythm guitar, pure rhythm guitar!! - in a Django-style trio/quartet. The violinist was a doctor of music and the bassist a genuine old 50s piss-artist virtuoso jazzer, musical heaven for me and I learnt a lot. We had a Sunday lunchtime residency.

I was puffing away while playing with my eyes closed and suddenly felt something tapping on the cigarette in my mouth.

I opened my eyes to see a punter with an ashtray in one hand, 3 inches from my face, tapping the ash off! PFFAHH!

Needless to say I missed the changes for the next few bars. The bassplayer (RIP Brian you old git) laughed so hard he nearly lost it. Happy days.

LMAO! I hate it when that happens. (I can see the look when you came to earth) smiley-shocked003.gif

I got me one of those E-cigarette things. I actually like it. It works.

Question: I haven't been out (much). How does it work in bars or clubs and such? Are they "acceptable" to use there?

Those crack me up for some reason fake smoking just seems wrong on so many levels. I guess quite a few young people that never smoked have now purchased them just to try to be cool, I see them periodically outside the movie theaters now sitting around talking and playing with there little glowing fake cigarettes. Ive heard they even have flavored cartridges for those now I walked by a girl and smelled a strange odor like a Hawaiian drink she noticed me sniff and then look around and she held up her E-Cig and said it's a Pina Colada flavor cartridge. She said you could buy all kinds of flavors and scents she said she even had a bubblegum flavored one. Don't know if that's true or not but if they make a Pina Colada one why not!!!

I see them all the time here in Arizona in places that prohibit smoking so I guess they are legal in bars and restaurants or at least there ignored. As far as acceptable I'm not so sure since that have to be one of the least macho things Ive ever seen, so good luck walking into a biker bar puffing on a bubble gum flavored fake cigarette. Other than the uncool image they apparently really work I saw a show on TV that said using e cigarettes instead of gum or patches has increased the success rate for stopping smoking by 300%

Those fake cigarettes were first test marketed by RJ Reynolds back in the '80s, when I was still smoking. To me, they tasted like brownies, but they definitely gave you a nicotine buzz.

No e-cigarettes for me, i rather quit. For me i only smoke when i do guitar related stuff. Its so damn good with a smoke when you have a break from practicing. I use Swedish tobacco i stick under my lip, giving my lungs some rest

Archived