Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson USA hard cases

Felix John

Hello all,

new to Gibson & not a good start. Couple weeks ago I got an LP Studio from MF. Beautiful ‘wine red’ w/gold hardware. Been craving it a long time... When it arrived, it was way heavier than expected. (I am disabled)... But didn’t matter as the tone was like something from heaven. ‘Till I saw something one night that caught my attention. Cracks in ‘baked maple’ fret board. The length of 3 1/2 frets & in one place, to the other side. Difficult to see unless you were holding it at an angle toward the light...

Multiple cracks. I don’t know if it was missed during the fretting process, or seen & tried to cover it with finish, & QC just let slide. I don’t care at this point, because it went back to MF. It took 2 days of emails & phone messages before I even heard back from Gibson in an email that simply said ‘send it back’... I understand that some bad guitars are made, but since it was just constructed in Feb., I didn’t want to take a chance on another from the same batch...

I’ve waited & saved for so long to buy a Gibson. Anyway, the SG Standard arrives, & after a good examination, seems good... But the Gibson case it came in, really sucks. The LP case had been made in Canada. This SG case had been made in Costa Rica, & it definitely showed. Edges were rough, stitching didn’t match leaving rough seams. Fine, I could live with that. But when I opened the case, the guitar didn’t even lay flat. The cut out didn’t quite match the guitar, & leaves it an angle, with the right tuning keys smashing into the case...

Spent hours trying to ‘fix’ the interior, but it’s not because it’s new, it’s because the case shape is cut wrong... Sorry ‘bout the length of this post, but I am truly disappointed with Gibson. I left them a message, but don’t expect to hear from them anytime soon, if at all. All they say is return it anyway. For what, to get another cheaply constructed case from Costa Rica?... Being disabled, I am not mobile, so have to depend on a companies word & UPS. Looks like Gibson’s main concern now is their bottom line. All about the $$. I’m going to search for an SG case, not from Gibson, when I can afford it. I can’t believe they have the nerve to sell these lousy Costa Rican cases for $240...

Has anyone else gotten a Gibson case from Costa Rica, & not from Canada? I still can’t believe they tried jamming this guitar into this case, at an angle. Has nothing to do with the case being new, the cut out isn’t in the shape of an SG... Hope it was worth it to Gibson, as they just lost a customer & any others I can reach across forums. Unless it’s a Custom or other high priced models, the rest of us don’t count...

Hi

Not had one made from costa rico but my experience is that they are all cheaply produced cases even the canadian ones ESPECIALLY SG cases.

if your serious about a protective case then an aftermarket case is what you would be looking to purchase anyway. look into SKB cases, they have SG & Les Paul models. I toured with my Les Paul in an SKB and had nothing to worry about.

as for QC and your les Paul I understand its upsetting and yes I do believe QC is questionable sometimes at Gibson however these things happen especially when working with a natural material such as wood. These things can surface after it has left the factory. Send it back get another or best yet take a trip to the guitar store and pick one from the shelf that meets your needs tonally and in aesthetics mail order can surface its own problems.

Hi

Not had one made from costa rico but my experience is that they are all cheaply produced cases even the canadian ones ESPECIALLY SG cases.

if your serious about a protective case then an aftermarket case is what you would be looking to purchase anyway. look into SKB cases, they have SG & Les Paul models. I toured with my Les Paul in an SKB and had nothing to worry about.

as for QC and your les Paul I understand its upsetting and yes I do believe QC is questionable sometimes at Gibson however these things happen especially when working with a natural material such as wood. These things can surface after it has left the factory. Send it back get another or best yet take a trip to the guitar store and pick one from the shelf that meets your needs tonally and in aesthetics mail order can surface its own problems.

Thank you for answering. Gibson never did. So much for their world famous 24/7 support. I understand wood can do strange things. Especially treated wood. Anyway, I'm happy with the SG replacement. Just hard to believe that Gibson quality has gone so low. Everything now is about the $$... I'm disabled & not mobile, otherwise I would have gone to a store first, even if a long drive. But I don't have that option... The LP case seemed fine. But this SG case simply sucks. Cheaply constructed with hardware so flimsly, I wouldn't use it on a child's toy. Guess they're cheaper in Costa Rica now. Just hard to believe how bad the case is...

Guess 'cause they're 'pretty looking' with a white fluffy interior & says 'Gibson USA' on the case, we're supposed to be impressed. Or impress others. I'd rather have quality... Can't believe they have the nerve to sell them for $240. Then again, some people will buy anything with a logo... Since I can no longer go on the road, this case will do. Just hate even touching the cheap latches... Gibson may have saved a few $$, but losing customers. As far as an LP type guitar, I'll stick with my Agile from Rondo. Better or just as well constructed guitar @ a much less price, don't have to deal with a 'nitro' finish, & a better case for $65. Live & learn. Thanks again...

Archived