Gibson Guitar Board: File & Playlist Preparation - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

File & Playlist Preparation How do you prepare your SCS.4DJ for gigs?

#1 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Interested to see how people are preparing their SCS.4DJ's for gigs. I've yet to use mine live, as I've only had it a few days, but I'm working on a nice setup for making sure my files/playlists are nicely prepared well in advance.

Currently, I'm doing a few things with mine (Mac based):

1. File preparation
I'm analyzing my files with beaTunes3 first, to get BPM's and Keys. I then check the BPM with the Cadence BPM Tapper to be sure it's correct. Then I run everything through Platinum Notes 2 to normalize, as I found the auto gain on the unit a little flakey. I'm also adding the "real" BPM and Key in the comments, for times when the BPM detection in the unit/QuickGrid is off. I can then "sort by comment" on the unit and see BPM and Key.

2. Creating playlists
I found a nice little tutorial here on using Songbird to sync your USB drives/playlists. Had never heard of Songbird prior to that, but it's pretty nice, and there's some plugins for it to help set it up how you like. Easily syncs your playlists with your USB drive.

So, what's your process?

#2 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi, for me it's sort of the same but different programs

1. Tag the files with MP3Tag
2. Find the correct key with Keyfinder and write the key in comment tags

As for now the searching for key tags is too tricky for me on the SCS4 so I'm kinda planning to make
a searchable database on my iPhone, dunno if there are good apps for that ?

I've also printed out my filelists on paper which helps to browse my collection (3000+ tracks) easier and also
to be able to make some crazy shifts as I like play stuff across a number of genres.

I never got round to installing Songbird but this sync thing looks very interesting, thanks for the reminder ! Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Good idea with the iPhone database, never thought of that but would be handy alright! I did see some DJ apps before for analyzing tracks, can't remember any names now, but guess they might work as they'd show the same info as the SCS.4DJ. Could also have a sneaky listen to tunes there too without having to load anything on the unit itself. Was planning on using the iPhone as a backup player anyways so why not go the whole hog! So long as peeps don't think I'm having a sneaky game of Angry Birds...

#4 User is offline   mazyngaz 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

i saw that in comments field of mp3's tag sometimes not appear in STANTON consolle, but appears a "0"
someone have same problem?

#5 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Postmazyngaz, on 07 April 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

i saw that in comments field of mp3's tag sometimes not appear in STANTON consolle, but appears a "0"
someone have same problem?

Same thing happened to me. You need to be sure that the correct ID3 tag is being used (v2.3 I think is correct?), and also that the folder your tunes is in on your Mac/PC isn't write protected. For some reason on my Mac, my "Songbird" tunes folder gets write-protected, and then the tags don't get accepted. So I need to reset the permissions on it. I'm also using an ID3 tag editor program to fix some of them up.

EDIT: So, it seems that if you use QuickGrid to analyze a folder, it'll change the permissions on it (Mac version anyways) so after, if you try change some ID3 tags, they won't get saved unless you manually change your folder permission back.

#6 User is offline   mazyngaz 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

thanks! i will try!!!

#7 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

There's a good simple & free ID3 tag editor for Mac called Tagr: http://www.entwicklu...reu.de/tagr.jsp

#8 User is offline   smalsz 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I normally just go through and download my new songs before a gig. Then I edit the mp3 info using mp3tag by adding the song title, artist, genre, and by adding the numeric of the key the song is in the title. Good little program and works really well with editing the tags especially has a nice feature to easily add album covers to the mp3's as well. Then After everything is edited I normally sort through my music using virtual dj and create a playlist for my next gig. After the playlist I make sure I add the playlist to my flash drive as well as any new songs that I had downloaded between my last gig and the one coming up. Then I use quickgrid to analyze everything which normally takes around 15-30 min and then I eject the drive and install it in the 4dj. I load up the 4dj and let everything sync before I shut the unit down and head off to my gig putting my headphones, extra cables, and dj goodies in a bag!

#9 User is offline   Gymboy 

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Could someone please help me with Songbird, i am using Windows 7 and downloaded the program onto my pc yesterday to use the sync folder function as per the tutorial that was earlier mentioned in this forum. I do not have the sync folder function under my library and it is not listed under the add ons under the tools menu either. Help please!!

#10 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

Yeah, you do need to install it - it's an extension, and doesn't come included with the core files.

http://addons.songbi....com/addon/1535

#11 User is offline   labrodent 

• LocationWindsor,Ontario, Canada, EH!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Any good free song analyzers for windows?

#12 User is offline   Jacksan 

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

View Postlabrodent, on 25 May 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Any good free song analyzers for windows?

Hi,

For checking the technical part of an mp3, there are some tools like:
MP3 Diags - http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net
also
MP3 Check - http://www.audiomove.../14/31/lang,en/

If you want to know about the music quality of your mp3 collection, I'll say
Similarity - http://www.similarityapp.com

is a nice one. There is a free and a premium version.
Has some nice features like sonograph/spectrum analysis(premium version).

Can also check for double mp3's
regardless of bitrate/size/header. It "listens" to the music in the mp3 file
and compares them with other possible double ones. This tool got rid of alot of double songs in my collection.

Don't know if these are programs your looking for....
So, try out for yourself and hey, no warranties! O:)

Regards,
Jack.

#13 User is offline   labrodent 

• LocationWindsor,Ontario, Canada, EH!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

I meant key/bpm analyzer, sorry.

#14 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

View Postlabrodent, on 26 May 2012 - 08:17 AM, said: