Gibson Brands Forums

I hate my Sheraton's sound

whitespike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! There's a number of HB-sized P-90's available these days. They ARE the real single coil (not Leo's skinny little copies that came later). GFS makes some affordable ones that sound pretty good. They're called Mean 90's (not Dream 90's). Get a pair and they'll fit right in HB slots. They have more treble and less mids than HB's, and will give you that open, single coil sound.

You may want to get a 4 wire set of Humbuckers so they can be split. It still will not be that exact Fender sound but it can get close. Visit the DiMarzio or Ducan sites and drop them a line.

Bluesman335 Leo invented the single coil before Mr. Lover invented the Humbucker. Think of life this way - if it was not for Leo and his single coil solid wood guitar perhaps the LP and the Humbucker would never have been made. I think you owe a debt of gratitude to Leo.

You may want to get a 4 wire set of Humbuckers so they can be split. It still will not be that exact Fender sound but it can get close. Visit the DiMarzio or Ducan sites and drop them a line.

Bluesman335 Leo invented the single coil before Mr. Lover invented the Humbucker. Think of life this way - if it was not for Leo and his single coil solid wood guitar perhaps the LP and the Humbucker would never have been made. I think you owe a debt of gratitude to Leo.

Oh, I do. I love Fender. I might get a Telecaster. But I have always wanted a hollow body. I am mainly a bassist. I like A bigger neck and body, which is why the Sheraton feels so great to me. But both my guitarists use Fenders (a Mustang, and my favorite, a Jazzmaster). I just prefer their jangly tones. I may just have to get a Fender and get used to the feel. Not that's its bad. My brother's Jazzmaster plays like a champ.

1333746402[/url]' post='1172265']

Oh, I do. I love Fender. I might get a Telecaster. But I have always wanted a hollow body. I am mainly a bassist. I like A bigger neck and body, which is why the Sheraton feels so great to me. But both my guitarists use Fenders (a Mustang, and my favorite, a Jazzmaster). I just prefer their jangly tones. I may just have to get a Fender and get used to the feel. Not that's its bad. My brother's Jazzmaster plays like a champ.

Sounds like you may be a candidate for aTele Thinline!!! Great guitars, I owned a few before going with larger full-hollow and semi-hollows bodied Epiphones.

There must be a reason you don't tend to see Fender-sized single coils on archtops.

Too much noise/feedback compared to P90s?.........Maybe not.

Sound too thin in an archtop compared to P90s?.......Maybe so.

Maybe a Gretsch? They might have a guitar you'd like and also try one of these

http://www.vintageguitar.com/5602/epiphone-emperor-swingster/

Another seldom-seen option on guitars of this style at this price point are series/parallel potentiometers. It’s certainly a plus when you can get a single-coil-type sound out of a box like this – almost like a hollowbody Tele.

Sorry if this has been covered. I love the way the guitar plays, but I just hate the sound. In fact, I don't like humbuckers at all.

Really i like a fender sound. Any pickups that come close?

I know it's not a Sheraton, but I put a set of GFS bucker size P90's(Dream 90's) in my Dot and they sound great. I think the Mean 90's are more suited for a solid body. The Dream90's are plenty hot for a hollow or semi hollow...just my opinion!

004ubc.jpg

The closest thing to a Fender single coil that's at all commonly used on a hollow body is Gretsch's Hilotron pickup. These were the pickups on George Harrison's Tennessean as used in the movie "Help" and much of the "Beatles For Sale" album as well.

You might also check out GFS' Surf 90 pickups, which come very close to DeArmond Dynasonic single coil pickups in tone and response --- brighter and chimier than regular P-90's.

But since you've identified yourself as a guy who likes hollow bodies but likes Fender tone better than humbuckers, you sound like a prime candidate for a Gretsch. They have a variety of models, many of which are available with several different pickups. I believe you owe it to yourself to get your hands on some different ones and investigate for yourself. The humbuckers on Gretsch pro-line guitars are called FilterTrons, and they are VERY different from Gibson/Epi humbuckers. There are also several different single coil pickups, each of which has its own tonal characteristics. You might well find what you're looking for among those offerings.

The closest thing to a Fender single coil that's at all commonly used on a hollow body is Gretsch's Hilotron pickup. These were the pickups on George Harrison's Tennessean as used in the movie "Help" and much of the "Beatles For Sale" album as well.

You might also check out GFS' Surf 90 pickups, which come very close to DeArmond Dynasonic single coil pickups in tone and response --- brighter and chimier than regular P-90's.

But since you've identified yourself as a guy who likes hollow bodies but likes Fender tone better than humbuckers, you sound like a prime candidate for a Gretsch. They have a variety of models, many of which are available with several different pickups. I believe you owe it to yourself to get your hands on some different ones and investigate for yourself. The humbuckers on Gretsch pro-line guitars are called FilterTrons, and they are VERY different from Gibson/Epi humbuckers. There are also several different single coil pickups, each of which has its own tonal characteristics. You might well find what you're looking for among those offerings.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

I had exactly the same problem - beautiful guitar to play, looked great, sounded like sludge.

Surf 90s fixed the sound problem perfectly, they are clear and bright with a very woody tone, and through dirt, they get angry very nicely.

Aesthetically - I'm still not 100% sure.

6906001598_633ac77d7f_b.jpg

I had exactly the same problem - beautiful guitar to play, looked great, sounded like sludge.

Surf 90s fixed the sound problem perfectly, they are clear and bright with a very woody tone, and through dirt, they get angry very nicely.

Aesthetically - I'm still not 100% sure.

6906001598_633ac77d7f_b.jpg

I think that looks just fine! Did you change all the electronics or just the pickups? I am really considering the Surf 90s. I'd rather not ditch the guitar itself, being that I love the neck on it. Not every guitar plays great and this one does.

But I am intrigued about the Gretsch idea. More than likely I will try pickups and see first. If that doesn't work, I will check out the Tele Thinline and the Gretsch guitars with singles.

I got myself a Sherry II on my birthday last december. I loved the unplugged sound of the guitar. I loved the clean sound of the guitar, however the distortion (I don't even use too much), everything was MUDDY. I sold it, and got a Les Paul standard Plus Top. It was well worth it, as beautiful as the Sherry was. I guess it just wasn't for me, and I never got to try one before buying it. Learned my lesson.

-Don

You'd prefer Fender tone, in a Sheraton?? Why? Why not just buy a Fender? They're

two, completely different guitar approaches. Why not approach the Sheri, as just that...

another tone, for your expanding pallette? Now, if you want nicer "Humbuckers," try

some Gibson (or after-market versions, if you prefer) Classic '57's. They're clear, well

defined, and don't muddy up excessively, with over-drive, or distortion pedals. They

will be mellower, on a Sheraton, due to the semi-hollow body, than they would be, on

a solid body, Les Paul or SG. But, that's no fault, of the pickups. It's just the

characteristic, of Semi's. To me, it's a fool's errand, to try to make a Semi-hollow

body Gibson/Epiphone, sound like a Fender (Tele, or Strat). But, a well appointed Sheri,

is one FINE guitar! You've had good suggestions, so far, regarding replacement pickups...

I would only add to those (beyond, what I've already said, about Gibson's Classic 57's)

that "TV Jones" makes some outstanding "Gretsch" and Gretsch like, pickups, as well as his

own versions of P-90's and more traditional Humbuckers, as well. Maybe those, would be

more to your liking? Only you'll know, if/when you get to try out some. Good Luck! [biggrin][thumbup]

Also, don't forget pots and capacitors. They alone, can make a big difference...even with

your current pickups. I changed caps, in my '76 Les Paul Deluxe, and tone pots, as well, and

it redefined the sound! Much nicer, warmer, but still "edgy," now...but, that's what I wanted. So... [thumbup]

CB

1333775933[/url]' post='1172499']

You'd prefer Fender tone, in a Sheraton?? Why? Why not just buy a Fender? They're

two, completely different guitar approaches. Why not approach the Sheri, as just that...

another tone, for your expanding pallette? Now, if you want nicer "Humbuckers," try

some Gibson (or after-market versions, if you prefer) Classic '57's. They're clear, well

defined, and don't muddy up excessively, with over-drive, or distortion pedals. They

will be mellower, on a Sheraton, due to the semi-hollow body, than they would be, on

a solid body, Les Paul or SG. But, that's no fault, of the pickups. It's just the

characteristic, of Semi's. To me, it's a fool's errand, to try to make a Semi-hollow

body Gibson/Epiphone, sound like a Fender (Tele, or Strat). But, a well appointed Sheri,

is one FINE guitar! You've had good suggestions, so far, regarding replacement pickups...

I would only add to those (beyond, what I've already said, about Gibson's Classic 57's)

that "TV Jones" makes some outstanding "Gretsch" and Gretsch like, pickups, as well as his

own versions of P-90's and more traditional Humbuckers, as well. Maybe those, would be

more to your liking? Only you'll know, if/when you get to try out some. Good Luck! [biggrin][thumbup]

Also, don't forget pots and capacitors. They alone, can make a big difference...even with

your current pickups. I changed caps, in my '76 Les Paul Deluxe, and tone pots, as well, and

it redefined the sound! Much nicer, warmer, but still "edgy," now...but, that's what I wanted. So... [thumbup]

CB

+1. This is why in reply #9 I recommended the OP spend some with a Fender Thinline Tele. More specifically, the '69 Thinline Tele:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0136902300

I was not digging my Sheraton sound too but I was digging the feel and the unplugged tone however.

I updated to Gibson classic 57/57+ and also changed the whole harness including caps and resistors; in my case it made a big difference.

However, I was not targetting a Fender sound but looking for a more authentic Gibby 335 sound.

Archived