Gibson Brands Forums

CS 336 strap button placement

boxman

My CS 336 is the first, and only guitar I have owned with the strap button on the back. I find that when playing while standing, the top of the guitar angles away from my body. This is very annoying to me ! To compensate, I have to use my elbow to pull it close to my body. I have tried moving the guitar to various positions - nothing seems to make a real difference. I am short, with an average (medium) build. I keep thinking if I could move the strap button from the rear to the front of the upper horn, my problem would be solved. I did notice in a picture on the Gibson website of the "Midtown", that is where Gibson put it.

I am obviously reluctant to do this, but probably would, if there was no other alternative, and only if the strap button can be safely screwed into the front of the upper horn (or some other place ?) without damaging the guitar ? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

My CS 336 is the first, and only guitar I have owned with the strap button on the back. I find that when playing while standing, the top of the guitar angles away from my body. This is very annoying to me ! To compensate, I have to use my elbow to pull it close to my body. I have tried moving the guitar to various positions - nothing seems to make a real difference. I am short, with an average (medium) build. I keep thinking if I could move the strap button from the rear to the front of the upper horn, my problem would be solved. I did notice in a picture on the Gibson website of the "Midtown", that is where Gibson put it.

I am obviously reluctant to do this, but probably would, if there was no other alternative, and only if the strap button can be safely screwed into the front of the upper horn (or some other place ?) without damaging the guitar ? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat except that I have a ES-335 and a CS-336 that I got last year. These are my first with the button on the back. First of all, I wouldn't dream of drilling an incorrect hole in my 336. I do have a suggestion that will cost a few bucks but may solve your issue. I have a Planet Waves locking strap that has a swivel pivot at each end where the strap locks are located. For use with my 336 I swivel it to be backwards from a normal strap button. This allows the lock mechanism to work and also gives the pivot a chance to swing with your playing motion which might keep it closer to your body. I think the strap goes for about $30. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat except that I have a ES-335 and a CS-336 that I got last year. These are my first with the button on the back. First of all, I wouldn't dream of drilling an incorrect hole in my 336. I do have a suggestion that will cost a few bucks but may solve your issue. I have a Planet Waves locking strap that has a swivel pivot at each end where the strap locks are located. For use with my 336 I swivel it to be backwards from a normal strap button. This allows the lock mechanism to work and also gives the pivot a chance to swing with your playing motion which might keep it closer to your body. I think the strap goes for about $30. Good luck.

Thanks - I have seen that Planet Waves strap - I'll give it a try !

• 1 month later...

Old thread that I'm only just now finding, but I can add the following:

1. I wouldn't dream of moving the strap button on my CS-356, but understand that it can seem like an "issue" for some folks.

2. There have been at least one or two players who have made the switch and reported about it here at gibson.com - I don't believe they had any problems with it.

3. and most importantly, perhaps:

back in 2001 when Gibson launched the CS-336 they had a mini-site dedicated to it on their website. That mini-site disappeared unceremoniously back in about 2005, and at that time I used an internet "way-back" machine to see if I could grab the construction images that the site featured. I wasn't able to grab all of them, but this one might help - it's about 1/3 of the page they used to show the "tone chambers" inside. Keeping in mind that I believe it's an illustration rather than a photograph and so may differ a little from reality, it appears there is probably enough wood remaining in the horn to hold a strap button screw of moderate length.

356cutaway_11.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Old thread that I'm only just now finding, but I can add the following:

1. I wouldn't dream of moving the strap button on my CS-356, but understand that it can seem like an "issue" for some folks.

2. There have been at least one or two players who have made the switch and reported about it here at gibson.com - I don't believe they had any problems with it.

3. and most importantly, perhaps:

back in 2001 when Gibson launched the CS-336 they had a mini-site dedicated to it on their website. That mini-site disappeared unceremoniously back in about 2005, and at that time I used an internet "way-back" machine to see if I could grab the construction images that the site featured. I wasn't able to grab all of them, but this one might help - it's about 1/3 of the page they used to show the "tone chambers" inside. Keeping in mind that I believe it's an illustration rather than a photograph and so may differ a little from reality, it appears there is probably enough wood remaining in the horn to hold a strap button screw of moderate length.

356cutaway_11.gif

THANKS Clayville - that information was very helpful - I'm still pondering the situation (here in Portsmouth, NH)

Archived