Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional Pro Cherry

bigolsparky

I am curious to see who else has a 2011 Les Paul Traditional Pro in "Cherry", not "Wine Red". I haven't seen another one and Gibson doesn't list it in their catalogue. I bought it about six weeks ago @ GC. It was made in October 2011.

I was playing one on Friday at GC. I think the confusion is that GC marks the tag as Heritage Cherry Sunburst, and Gibson shows it as Heritage Sunburst. It's a nice looking guitar either way. I'm not looking for a red guitar, but the GC Trad Pro Heritage Cherry is subtle enough that I could easily live with it. I haven't made up my mind yet on a '60's or '50's neck so I'm still on the sidelines. Here's a link to the Gibson page:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

I have a used one (can't tell it's used though) I bought off Ebay. It's excellent! The only thing I don't like is the plastic parts are too pinkish (purely an aesthetic complaint, lol). I put Suhr Aldrich pickups in it (zebra) and the cream coils don't match the plastic, so I'm putting covers on the pickups. Great guitar though!

I was playing one on Friday at GC. I think the confusion is that GC marks the tag as Heritage Cherry Sunburst, and Gibson shows it as Heritage Sunburst. It's a nice looking guitar either way. I'm not looking for a red guitar, but the GC Trad Pro Heritage Cherry is subtle enough that I could easily live with it. I haven't made up my mind yet on a '60's or '50's neck so I'm still on the sidelines. Here's a link to the Gibson page:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

Just to clarify one thing. This guitar is not a sunburst, it is "Cherry" or "Red" and not "Wine Red". It was next to a "Wine Red" LP at Guitar Center and is is much lighter.

2012-04-08_12-10-55_204.jpg[/img]

2012-04-08_12-11-44_249.jpg

6947485955_6b41a88031_b.jpg

Nice guitar. I'd hazard a guess that if it isn't listed as an available finish option on the website, this may just have been a limited run guitar. I've occasionally seen Gibsons in the past in finishes that weren't listed on the website. Perhaps the dealer you bought it from knows something about it.

Edit: Just realized that you bought it from GC. Pretty sure they get limited editions every now and then.

Nice guitar. I'd hazard a guess that if it isn't listed as an available finish option on the website, this may just have been a limited run guitar. I've occasionally seen Gibsons in the past in finishes that weren't listed on the website. Perhaps the dealer you bought it from knows something about it.

Edit: Just realized that you bought it from GC. Pretty sure they get limited editions every now and then.

I spoke with the salesman at GC and he said they reordered it after I bought it but it never came in. He said they get some odd ones from time to time.

I spoke with the salesman at GC and he said they reordered it after I bought it but it never came in. He said they get some odd ones from time to time.

Well, that one is different, and not what I was thinking you were asking about. There is a guitar at my local GC with that same finish, but has covered pickups and coil taps. I can't find it on Gibson's site and the guys at GC can't seem to say exactly what it is. It's not a Trad Pro. Apparently, GC takes any of Gibson's orphans.

Well, that one is different, and not what I was thinking you were asking about. There is a guitar at my local GC with that same finish, but has covered pickups and coil taps. I can't find it on Gibson's site and the guys at GC can't seem to say exactly what it is. It's not a Trad Pro. Apparently, GC takes any of Gibson's orphans.

The tech at my GC said that they were ordering most of their LPs with push/pull coil split. I like that feature. I almost bought a gold top with P90s and a 50s neck, but I really liked the color of this one and it gets pretty thin when the coils are split.

The tech at my GC said that they were ordering most of their LPs with push/pull coil split. I like that feature. I almost bought a gold top with P90s and a 50s neck, but I really liked the color of this one and it gets pretty thin when the coils are split.

I went back into GC today, and they have a Trad Pro exactly like yours. They must have added it to the special run and Gibson didn't update their website.

• 4 weeks later...

I went back into GC today, and they have a Trad Pro exactly like yours. They must have added it to the special run and Gibson didn't update their website.

I went to a GC in Nashville and saw one there as well. I guess they are unique to Guitar Center. I am loving mine.

That's a standard Traditional Pro, a GC exclusive. When I bought my trad plus, GC showed me their platinum site because the didn't have a trad pus in the store. They were tring to tell me these were the same, but the split coils are an obvious difference. They had no clue. I called Gibson from the parking lot and got the gist. They made the trad pro exclusive for GC due to demand for split coils and some other minor differences in tuners,pickups, etc. these were available in blue, red, and iced tea finishes, and I believe honey, but definitely not heritage cherry sunburst. Also the 50s and 60s necks were only available in certain finishes, tink the 60s was on the red and blue for example and the 50s was on the honey and tea? Can't remember exactly.

Here's an example of one

http://platinum.guitarcenter.com/Guitars/view_listing.cfm?prodId=22577

Archived