Gibson Brands Forums

Computer help. Please!

LarryUK

Trying booting up with the Windows installation CD in the drive. When it first boots hit "esc" and it will bring you into a window that allows you to boot from the CD instead from the hard drive. This should let you boot in "safe mode" so you can back up your files to a thumb drive. You can repeat this process and try and repair Windows from the installation CD.

It's a netbook. It doesn't have a cd drive.

Yikes... thats a nasty error.. some info here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

but yes as suggested above basically you have some corrupt system files that need to be replaced.. if you dont have a CD drive you need to find access to one or copy the installation CD that came with your notebook (if indeed it came with anything) to a USB stick and you may be able to boot from that.

By the way have you tried booting in safe mode or doesnt it let you get that far.

If you can boot into safe mode then do a disk scan and error check. And maybe even try and do a system restore.

]

Get a USB disk drive and change it to boot from USB device if it's an older one. This is probably a software issue. I just fixed a friend's computer when it had this same problem. Is it Windows 7? If so, it might have a recovery partition. When you start up, press F8, and keep pressing it, one tap never works. It should bring you to a menu with different options, and should say something about restoring to factory settings. Select that and go through all of the steps. It should take around 45 minutes total.

Also, try reseating your RAM. It's possible it could have been knocked loose. I've fixed issues like that a lot for friends and family. When you change it out, or take it out for any reason it usually displays something similar.

I'm no Windows certified professional, but it smells like new hard drive time to me. I hope not.

I think if it were a total disk issue it would say "no physical hardrive" or something like that... (i know that cos I had to fix my dads laptop recently and he had that error afer my aunt decided to turn the computer upside down while starting it up??)

Hmm, if you cant even get to safe mode you will need a windows disk.. Also does the harddive make a clicking sound when you try and start it? or does it sound normal? (clicking sound means physical death)

Have you tried each option? like the Last know good configuration.

What are you using to talk to us on here?

If all else fails what you will have to do is as said, get a windows 7 disk and copy the contents to a USB stick.. Then when you start your laptop go into the bios (I always forget how) by pressing f12? Esc i can never remember at the startup (before windows kicks in).. And choose (if it lets you) USB for the boot device.. if you dont have a USB option you will need an external cd drive... or take it to a tech shop.. but yeah without the windows disk your pretty much up the creek.

I'm using my main laptop to do this. I loaned the netbook to my girlfriend's son who's 8 month old laptop has had a hard drive failure for a second time in two months! This seems odd that it might have happened to mine. Could he be doing something to make it fail?

I'm using my main laptop to do this. I loaned the netbook to my girlfriend's son who's 8 month old laptop has had a hard drive failure for a second time in two months! This seems odd that it might have happened to mine. Could he be doing something to make it fail?

Well its hard to speculate.. but from what I know this happens when the hardrive gets a big jolt or is dropped (not saying thats what did happen).. Also I guess it could be caused by viruses so if hes a downloader some sites like the pirate bay have really dodgey stuff on it, a virus can install and you wouldnt even know it sometimes.

The only other thing I can think of right now is if you get a USB external hardrive reader, something like this

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=usb+hard+drive+adapter&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&biw=1366&bih=628&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10606161040248166871&sa=X&ei=xcaBT_yiM9P78QPRoaiABg&ved=0CI4BEPMCMAE#

then take out the hardrive of the notebook (or is it all RAM?) and plug it into this.. You will then be able to read it on your laptop and maybe be able to replace the files manually taking them from the install disk that came with it or if you have to take the files from a normal windows 7 disk. That may allow you to boot up and do a system retore.

Sounds likely, if you've never had this before.

I had something very similar when some freeware I was using updated itself and took out some .dll files. You have to find a way to 'system restore'.

then take out the hardrive of the notebook (or is it all RAM?)

The difference between a harddrive and RAM is that a harddrive is designed for storage, and RAM is for simply reading the information.

Not trying to be flip but, seriously, if you want to avoid this kind of stuff, get a Mac. I saw those Windows messages for the last time 5 years ago. I have never had a problem since. Sorry for your frustration.

Alright, going to post this, hopefully without mod intervention.

Not to ruin the moment, but Macs and PCs are the same concept, same basic hardware, just different OS and layout. Mac is just a marketing tool, sort of like the iPod. There is really no difference with an iPod, and any other MP3 player. An iPod is just a harddrive with software that plays MP3s. A Mac is just a computer, designed to run a different OS. Windows computers are actually very good, if you know what you're doing with them. They are far more flexible than Macs. And with a little know how, you can build your own, for half the cost of a Mac, with the same or higher specs. And I've never had any major issues with my Windows computers. I don't get viruses, or have breakdowns, simply because I know how to take care of my computer. The thing with computers and when they break, is that most of the time it's caused by user error, whether it be hardware or software related. With your Windows computers, did you ever remove the bloatware, do slight upgrades over time, or even run a defrag every now and again? If not, you may have wasted your money on an overpriced chunk of white plastic.

The difference between a harddrive and RAM is that a harddrive is designed for storage, and RAM is for simply reading the information.

Yes I know what the dirrefernce the between hardrive and ram is :).. The reason I say that is some notebooks consist completely of RAM and thats whats used to store stuff and dont have a harddive at all.

Yes I know what the dirrefernce the between hardrive and ram is :).. The reason I say that is some notebooks consist completely of RAM and thats whats used to store stuff and dont have a harddive at all.

I don't even think I know how to properly respond to this... But anyways, there are limits of RAM per OS. I think XP is 4GB, and I think Vista and 7 are 12GB (Correct me if I'm wrong) The amount of space an OS takes up would take up a ton of space, and that's if RAM was the same as a harddrive. It's not, RAM is just for reading the information, a harddrive is for storing it.

You're probably thinking of a computer that boots from a disk, and even then, that's technically a harddrive, considering most are just a series of disks in a container.

Worst case could be a motherboard.

That would be the absolute worst thing that it could be, and I doubt it would be the motherboard...

And I'm not sure if I misunderstood something, but the first screen you show has the ability to boot into safe mode. If you have not tried this, do it. If you are blue screening through safe mode, then you have either a loose RAM module, or you could have lent the computer to someone who has no business borrowing computers.

Computers and Occam's Razor go together like peanut butter and banana's... The simplest explanation is most often the correct one.

Archived