Gibson Brands Forums

Great vocal groups

jaxson50

The Association had fabulous 6 part harmonies in classic songs such as Never My Love and Everything That Touches You and the Critters had such great songs with incredible harmonies such as Mr. Dieingly Sad and Younger Girl.John Lennon's This Boy was one of the absolute best Beatles song as far as harmonies go and also Because from Abbey Road has very intricate harmonies.Most of the Mamas and Papas songs had wonderful harmonies as well as songs by the Left Banke such as Pretty Ballerina and Walk Away Renee,then there's the Buckinghams who had fabulous harmonies in everyone of their hits such as Susan.There were some one hit wonders that scored some great hits with great harmonies such as The Flying Machine with Smile a Little Smile For Me Rosemarie and Every Mother's Son with Come On Down To My Boat.There are no doubt dozens more that I could come up with but I'd be here all night.

There are some current bands with great harmonies and they are: Nada Surf,Rogue Wave,Midlake,Apples In Stereo,The High Dials,Jane Vain And The Dark Matter, Two Hour's Traffic,Amos the Transparent,Land Of Talk and of course many others that could keep me here all night also....lol.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jax...

Good topic.

I guess to me one difficulty on this one is that the great "rock" vocal groups seemed to be in the '50s and followed largely more of a "pop" thing in an updated style.

Fifth Dimension and Mamas and Papas were ... Rock????

I guess a bit of difficulty in definition arises. I'm not sure I'd even consider a lotta Beatles stuff as "rock," either, at least in terms of late '50s and after.

m

In the context of the market the Mama's and the Papa's and the 5th Dimension were "Pop" bands. They were not folk and they were not country, they were not hard rock. But what radio stations were they played on? The same ones that played The Beatles, The Stones. They were hard to nail down, but they were headliners at many rock festivals.

The Beach Boys take it hands down, if you ask me. If they count as rock and roll. I tend to agree with Milo concerning the Beatles...

Much of the others mentioned I don't consider rock. CSN(& sometimes Y) is big-$tudio folk, same for Simon & Garfunkle, Moody Blues are more easy listening I'd say, and ELO's 4-on-the-floor grooves are more disco than anything else.

The Beach Boys take it hands down, if you ask me. If they count as rock and roll. I tend to agree with Milo concerning the Beatles...

Much of the others mentioned I don't consider rock. CSN(& sometimes Y) is big-$tudio folk, same for Simon & Garfunkle, Moody Blues are more easy listening I'd say, and ELO's 4-on-the-floor grooves are more disco than anything else.

ELO? They did have a Rock and Roll side but your right they did fall in with the Disco stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxXl4oS9wss

I forgot to mention The Cyrkle,The Happenings,Spanky and Our Gang,Harper's Bizzare and Marmalade.Although these groups wouldn't be considered "rock"these days,back when they were on the charts they were certainly considered as rock groups albeit "soft rock", they were still rock.

Archived