Gibson Brands Forums

my tribute to Jim Marshall

FenderGuy1

I don't really agree on learning other peoples riff's. Maybe a song or two. Mostly because the fact that we over play these riffs so much that everytime we try to make our own riffs we use those riffs as a base and then we create that sound of that band/guitarist. Not truly your sound, but someone elses. Everything else you say it right.

I completely agree. Nothing organic comes from copying and pasting anything. Learning structured scales and understanding how music works is the key, and everything after that should come from an individuals creativity.

I for one am glad to see that there are some youths out there listening to the greats and even better playing an instrument! I was unlucky like this young man and grew up too late. Being born in 75 meant my first exposure to popular music was glam hair type stuff. Somehow I found my way as he has! Kudos to you kid and keep it up! BTW a Strat is far more versatile than an SG!

When i was just learning to play,just a lil older then fenderguy,i was in my towns music store,butchering to the best of my ability 'sultans of swing' and this guy walked up and asked what i was playing,he asked to see the guitar,he played the riff the right way at normal speed and i stood there w/ open jaw as he handed me the guitar back.Later,i learned his name was Stephen Bennett,he has won a flatpicking champion in his life as well as being a very accomplished harpguitarist. http://harpguitar.com/ He could have very easily went off and giggled about my inexperience,but he took the time to show me how it was played.He didnt give me a lesson,but his kindness and talent left a mark on me.It takes about the same amount of energy to encourage or inspire someone as it does to bash them,i remember more accomplished guitarists takin the time to show me a riff or scale,and every chance i get to pay it fwd,ill take a minute to correct a missed riff or chord progression.You never know who you may influence or encourage with just the simplest compliment or critique,especially beginner level players.We all played like crap at some point.

I for one am glad to see that there are some youths out there listening to the greats and even better playing an instrument! I was unlucky like this young man and grew up too late. Being born in 75 meant my first exposure to popular music was glam hair type stuff. Somehow I found my way as he has! Kudos to you kid and keep it up! BTW a Strat is far more versatile than an SG!

[thumbup]

yea, thats why i chose a strat, i might get a Les Paul later on in life :)

Get an SG with p-90's, then you'll have the best of all worlds.Les Pauls are awesome guitars but I think with your style the thin body of the Sg with single coils ( similar fender sound ) will suite you much better...and if you start banging out some hendrix sounds but on an SG, you'll be on your way to being your own style

Good god!! STOP opening his post if they are what you claim. It makes absolutely no sense for you or anybody else like you to click on the thread let alone make stupid remarks. I'm sorry to say this but your post is more obnoxious than the "OP".

Stop picking on kids. If you need to bully someone, have at me. I can give you a run for your money.

What Big Bill said.

I wore my Marshall Amplification t shirt this weekend. I was stopped by 5 people in town, some of whom you would expect others not. One thing in common - respect for the man that changed lives and destroyed a few eardrums along the way.

Fender guy, you have a guitar playing future ahead. Keep on chooglin.

Archived