Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Gibson ES-355

niemepet

Hi, I have been searching for cherry red Gibson ES-355 w/Varitone and w/Maestro for several years. Now I found one and bought it.

It is limited edition from the 2010. Because these ES-355 (with these specs) seems to be very hard to find. I'd like to ask, how many Gibson ES-355 did the custom shop build on year 2010? I appreciate your answer. Thanks!

EDIT: I have no intension to sell it. Just play it. It took years to find.

• 5 months later...

As far as I know, all ES-355s made after 1982 are "limited editions" made as small lot custom orders or individual custom orders.

The serial number should begin with the letter B followed by a "9" which indicates that it is an ES-355. The next number should be a "0" indicating 2010. The last three numbers indicate how how of that model were made prior to yours. As far as knowing if they were mono or stereo, Bigsby, Maestro or Stopbar, I am not sure if anyone including GCS can tell you that.

Hi, I have been searching for cherry red Gibson ES-355 w/Varitone and w/Maestro for several years. Now I found one and bought it.

It is limited edition from the 2010. Because these ES-355 (with these specs) seems to be very hard to find. I'd like to ask, how many Gibson ES-355 did the custom shop build on year 2010? I appreciate your answer. Thanks!

EDIT: I have no intension to sell it. Just play it. It took years to find.

As far as I know, all ES-355s made after 1982 are "limited editions" made as small lot custom orders or individual custom orders.

The serial number should begin with the letter B followed by a "9" which indicates that it is an ES-355. The next number should be a "0" indicating 2010. The last three numbers indicate how how of that model were made prior to yours. As far as knowing if they were mono or stereo, Bigsby, Maestro or Stopbar, I am not sure if anyone including GCS can tell you that.

Thank you for your answer. I also believe that only Gibson Custom Shop can answer how many they built.

But that serial number is interesting. Serial in my guitar start with "CS 05". Serial is in the back of the headstock, in the f-hole, Certificate of authenticity and packing checklist.

In the packing checklist the date is august 2010.

Model number on packing checklist and certificate is HB 049M. In the f-hole the model is ES-355.

es355_3.jpg

I live in Pennsylvania and I bought my ES-335 w/Bigsby from Dtown Guitars in Doylestown Pa. I was looking for this particular guitar for about 6 months and only found out about it thru a friend of mine. Dtown Guitars is a Gibson dealer and they sell a lot of nice Gibson guitars. I looked on line and couldn't find anything, I just lucked out finding the one I have now.

Don335

The serial number should begin with the letter B followed by a "9" which indicates that it is an ES-355. The next number should be a "0" indicating 2010. The last three numbers indicate how how of that model were made prior to yours.

This numbering scheme only applies to Nashville made 355s,

the Memphis ones have the CSxxxxxx format.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi everyone - newbie here! I have a cherry red 355 with varitone and Maestro but really want to switch it to the same (colour combo/varitone) but with bigsby. When purchasing the guitar, I thought it would be a simple swap out of the Maestro for bigsby, but alas, apparently this isn't the case.... now searching like made to try and find a 355 with varitone and bigsby in cherry red.... finding the original copy of the bible could most likely be easier!! Any pointers gratefully received!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 1:05 PM, Johnny78 said:

Hi everyone - newbie here! I have a cherry red 355 with varitone and Maestro but really want to switch it to the same (colour combo/varitone) but with bigsby. When purchasing the guitar, I thought it would be a simple swap out of the Maestro for bigsby, but alas, apparently this isn't the case.... now searching like made to try and find a 355 with varitone and bigsby in cherry red.... finding the original copy of the bible could most likely be easier!! Any pointers gratefully received!

There are a couple on Reverb.com 

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=gibson es355 bigsby