Gibson Brands Forums

Which epi hollowbody has a Fat neck ?

lstelie

Hello,

I'm the happy owner of a cheap but nice looking (and sounding thanks to a little seymour duncan help) china made Epi Dot studio.

Its neck is a little thin for me , I there in the Epi hollowbody range a model with a much fat neck ?

On the top of that, my Dot has a very thick paint and the neck has a unpleasant "plastic" feeling, is the re in the Epi hollobody range a model with a lighter finish ? As a comparizson I have a Stratocatser MIM, the neck is very thin, but the finish is far more pleasant than my Dot's one

How is the es175 neck ?

Thanks in advance

Luc

The neck on my 2010 Sheraton is nice & full. The finish isn't overly thick or sticky. It just feels right, to me.

I didn't like the Dot feel quite as much. The Sheraton won out for me.

Epi necks vary a lot, even on the same model. I knew a guy that bought a Dot Studio only because it had a fat neck. I have a regular Dot that has a thick '58 type, but most Dot's I've played have normal necks. I think Epiphone and Gibson intentionally vary the neck sizes so players can choose which they like best. Don't go by model, best to play it yourself or have it measured if you buy it online.

A lot depends on the factory of origin, and various years of manufacture. Very hard to generalize with Epi necks.

+1. They're all over the map. I think that's a good thing. You can get the model you want with the neck you want, with a little looking.

Archived