Gibson Guitar Board: Collings D2H - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Collings D2H Anyone tried one of these?

#1 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Serious case of NGD. I'm zoning in on this one and was wondering if any one has tried it and what your impression was. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   blindrobert 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 08-April 12

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Haven't tried a D2H, but I owned a D1A for a while and now have a DS adi and a 00 all mahogany. I've never played a bad Collings. I would say check out the sound clips at Gryphon strings and Greg Boyd. If you have never owned a Collings before, I would suggest getting to know their necks - there's a few options and it makes a big difference in finding one that feels like "yours". Personally, I like the modified V and a 1-13/16" nut - but I have big hands.

http://www.collingsg...eck_options.pdf

Cheers and good luck. It's hard to go wrong - but nice to go a little righter when you drop that kind of money.

#3 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

blindrobert said:

1334022603[/url]' post='1174642']
Haven't tried a D2H, but I owned a D1A for a while and now have a DS adi and a 00 all mahogany. I've never played a bad Collings. I would say check out the sound clips at Gryphon strings and Greg Boyd. If you have never owned a Collings before, I would suggest getting to know their necks - there's a few options and it makes a big difference in finding one that feels like "yours". Personally, I like the modified V and a 1-13/16" nut - but I have big hands.

http://www.collingsg...eck_options.pdf

Cheers and good luck. It's hard to go wrong - but nice to go a little righter when you drop that kind of money.


Great. Thanks for the educated reply and very helpful link. I'm checking them out this week. I'll post back with impressions

#4 User is offline   Rambler 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2358
  • Joined: 22-January 08

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

This was a while back, but a nice one at Acoustic Outfitters. The low end was controlled, more like an AJ in that respect, but with the top ring and note definition one would expect from a Martin.
"As through this world you ramble, you meet some funny men. Some rob you with a six-gun, some rob you with a fountain pen"
Woodrow WIlson Guthrie.

"Aint no easy job to sit down and play guitar!" Rev. Gary Davis

#5 User is offline   EuroAussie 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5451
  • Joined: 16-May 10
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Yes, I tried a 10 year old D2H when I was back in Australia last September. I thought at the time it was the best rosewood guitar Ive ever played, and still believe so. I should have bought that guitar.

The thing I loved about that guitar is that while Im not generally much of a rosewood guy, the D2H had a really focused tone in that it didnt spray with overtones, whcih is what I hate about rosewood. The overtones were direct, focesed, very well balanced guitar, excellent note seperation and very, very powerful. The rumble in my tummy as I was playing her was intoxicating.

Collings really seems to take the best of Martin and enhance them in very tasteful measures in delivering the power of a Martin but also balance and note seperation. Its really a very refined yet still earthy guitar.
___________________________

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 69' Gibson Hummingbird, 11' HB TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#6 User is offline   Tarrr 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 527
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

A friend recently bought an adi HD28v and had it customized with Grover tuners and Greven pickguard, then had the bridge pin holes slotted for round bridge pins.... I told him that now he has a Collings... he wasn't real happy but c'est la vie. Yes, I have a D2HG with the alpine spruce top and it is as good as any dread ever built. I have also owned a std D2H and D1A in the past. If you like Martins but want clarity, you got the right one baby.

#7 User is offline   jchabalk 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 639
  • Joined: 04-September 08
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

i like them. i've never owned one but my next acoustic is probably going to be one of their OMs. good luck with the D2H, i've played a few and they've all been great.

checking the neck types is great advice. i've never been able to find a shop that had all of the neck options in stock which makes it difficult to know which one i like the best.

#8 User is offline   dchristo 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1118
  • Joined: 24-October 11
  • LocationPensacola Fl

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

I played several Collings at artisans guitars, they played great but did not have the sound for me
In GOD we trust

Dave

#9 User is offline   craig_no 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 03-November 11

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Had one that rang like a bell and was a beauty to look at. Traded for a CJ mahogany body in sunburst with a short scale neck, which I absolutely love. Will probably get a small bodied one, too, either a C-10 or OM. If you want more, check out the Collings Forum.

http://collingsforum.com/eve/ubb.x
Gibson J-45

#10 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostRambler, on 09 April 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

This was a while back, but a nice one at Acoustic Outfitters. The low end was controlled, more like an AJ in that respect, but with the top ring and note definition one would expect from a Martin.


Got it, thanks. I know that AJ low end. Sounds like a great combination.....

#11 User is offline   EuroAussie 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5451
  • Joined: 16-May 10
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Actually a Collings that I havent played but one that really intrigues me is this deep bodied OM2H.

To me the tone is just spendid, very rich and deep for an OM, with the playaiblity of an OM size guitar.


___________________________

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 69' Gibson Hummingbird, 11' HB TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#12 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostEuroAussie, on 09 April 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yes, I tried a 10 year old D2H when I was back in Australia last September. I thought at the time it was the best rosewood guitar Ive ever played, and still believe so. I should have bought that guitar.

The thing I loved about that guitar is that while Im not generally much of a rosewood guy, the D2H had a really focused tone in that it didnt spray with overtones, whcih is what I hate about rosewood. The overtones were direct, focesed, very well balanced guitar, excellent note seperation and very, very powerful. The rumble in my tummy as I was playing her was intoxicating.

Collings really seems to take the best of Martin and enhance them in very tasteful measures in delivering the power of a Martin but also balance and note seperation. Its really a very refined yet still earthy guitar.


Thanks for the insight. Ahhh.....focused, nice separation and....it's got power. I think the tummy rumble feeling and power are not the strong suits of my SWD. Great review...cant wait to try it

#13 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostEuroAussie, on 10 April 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

Actually a Collings that I havent played but one that really intrigues me is this deep bodied OM2H.

To me the tone is just spendid, very rich and deep for an OM, with the playaiblity of an OM size guitar.




Yes! Saw it and also like the idea of a deep body OM. The DH2 examples on youtube by soundpure really inticed me......I'll be trying them out at Mandolin Bros. It looks like they have a very good selection.....I'd love to A/B em Wow the Om's a great strummer too!

#14 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postcraig_no, on 10 April 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Had one that rang like a bell and was a beauty to look at. Traded for a CJ mahogany body in sunburst with a short scale neck, which I absolutely love. Will probably get a small bodied one, too, either a C-10 or OM. If you want more, check out the Collings Forum.

http://collingsforum.com/eve/ubb.x


Thanks for link...I'll check it out...

#15 User is offline   MichaelR 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 30-March 11
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostTarrr, on 09 April 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

A friend recently bought an adi HD28v and had it customized with Grover tuners and Greven pickguard, then had the bridge pin holes slotted for round bridge pins.... I told him that now he has a Collings... he wasn't real happy but c'est la vie. Yes, I have a D2HG with the alpine spruce top and it is as good as any dread ever built. I have also owned a std D2H and D1A in the past. If you like Martins but want clarity, you got the right one baby.


Right on, Tarrr. Glad you weighed in. Hope I can afford upgrades like alpine spruce or the Vintage neck....it gets pricey

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users