Gibson Brands Forums

Differences in humidification

Tman

97-J200

2011 J-45

filled my humidifiers wirth distilled water and have kept the guitars in cases until today when my man tree house studio was finished.

The 97 J-299 distilled water filled tube looked like a prune. even though it had been predominantly in a case except when I played it which has been a lot.The 2011 J 45 barely any water had evaporated. I have filled the J 200 tube twice before, the J 45, none.

Is it just because it's older?

Should I take a wet cloth and moisten the inside of the J 200 then all over again (I think not).

The finish is great. Change anything?

btw spelling is not my forte'

1334032377[/url]' post='1174698']

Should I take a wet cloth and moisten the inside of the J 200 then all over again (I think not).

I think so, maybe your j-200 is fairly dry...a damp cloth can seriously damage your guitar, isn't the right way.

have you tried to measure the humidity in both guitars?

Yikes, a wet cloth? [scared] Just keep using the humidifier. A hygrometer to check relative humidity in the case would be helpful. If the top hasn't sunk, the action is fine and it doesn't buzz, fret ends aren't sharp-you're probably fine. Forget the wet cloth. Good luck.

I would think the air in Santa Barbara is fairly ideal for guitars, no?

I live in a very dry air appartement - central heating. And the winter of 2010 and 2011 my M-R GIBS (SJ200) was on the stand in the hall. In the end of winter 2011 he had to go to my luthier for a set up because the neck and the top had twisted... Finaly I understood that the place of this guitar (as of all my guitars) in this home is in the cases with humidifiers inside.

Since april 2011 M-R GIBS lives in his hard case in the corridor where there is no a radiator. There stay all my (now 5) acoustic guitars. This is a sertain problem for my woman, but not for me.

I have two humidifiers in the case of M-R GIBS and two humidifiers in the case of "THE GALE (a martin 0-28 replica with a little bit larger body) Every 4-5 days I inset more water in the humidifiers and I noticed that M-R GIBS drinks double than THE GALE.

I explain that with the largest and heviest body of M-R GIBS.

Since I started to humidifie my guitars they have no twisting problems.

97-J200

2011 J-45

filled my humidifiers wirth distilled water and have kept the guitars in cases until today when my man tree house studio was finished.

The 97 J-299 distilled water filled tube looked like a prune. even though it had been predominantly in a case except when I played it which has been a lot.The 2011 J 45 barely any water had evaporated. I have filled the J 200 tube twice before, the J 45, none.

btw spelling is not my forte'

Your answer is in your own question.

That, and not all cases are created equal.

I must be really blessed. My humidy stays between 50-60 all summer, and 42-48 all winter without me doing a thing. That being said I do live in a mobile home and I guess it isn't as air tight as some houses are. I have a spring fed creek that runs through the front yard that keeps the air wet all year round. It's kinda nice to not have to worry about it.

Never thought about proximity to running water.

Maybe, for the sake of the guit tars, we should all live in a van down by the river. [woot]

Well I'm far from living in a van, but I'm convinced living by a water source does make a difference. I own 90 acres of land and put my home in the valley with the spring creek. Not for guitars, but did turn out well

Archived