Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice - LP Studio mod, or 2012 LP Standard?

Ape-Fish

Hi guys. Long time lurker, [thumbup] first time posting.

I was all set to buy a LP Studio and have them change the pups to BurstBucker pros, the tuners to locking tuners, the pots to push-pull for coil splitting and phase reversal. Then i found out about the 2012 LP Standard. Now i'm not sure what i want to do... ](*,)

I guess what i'm wondering is, would i end up with that much better of a guitar for the added expense of buying a 2012 standard? Or would it be smart to save the extra money and go ahead with plan A, and just mod a LP Studio?

I realize that the 2012 Standard has a 60s neck profile, and the Studio has a 50s neck profile.

How would they compare for tone?

How would they compare for feel [apart from the different neck thickness that is...]?

I'm sure i'd be happy either way, but for what it's worth, i'd like to know - What would you do?

Thanks guys, that's all good information. I hadn't thought about the holding of value of the Standard. Do you suppose the 2012 flame tops will become a collectors item? [cool]

Ya, the 2012 Studio has the 'improved' chambering, and coil tapping on push-pulls, and the 60's neck. I'd still want to include the phase and treble direct push-pulls, along with locking tuners and burstBucker Pros. Hmm... Just when i was settling on getting the Standard.

One other thing - Does the asymmetrical neck profile on the Standards make much of a noticeable difference compared to the Studios?

Get the 2012 Standard You get the good toys and it'll hold its value better.

PS can some one clarify "asymmetrical SlimTaper" Does that mean it has a DC style neck like the 08 Standard or is it just a 60's neck?

as far as i know, yes its the same as the '08.

it was imo the best feature of the '08

It's good and fun to educate yourself on what is what. But don't forget to PLAY them.

If you play 10 of each, it would still be impossible to predict which one you will 'connect' with.

Each guitar has it's own thing, especially Gibson. If you are gonna pay the bucks, especially NEW, play a BUNCH until you find it or it finds you.

Do you suppose the 2012 flame tops will become a collectors item? [cool]

Nah. There'll be too many of them for that. To be quite honest, the only way one of them would be a "collectors item" is if they were in a low number limited finish. There are tens of thousand of LP's out there to compete with. And not everyone loves the new "standards"' features. The push/pull knobs are a great edition, but the chambering is a complete no go for me.

Nah. There'll be too many of them for that. To be quite honest, the only way one of them would be a "collectors item" is if they were in a low number limited finish. There are tens of thousand of LP's out there to compete with. And not everyone loves the new "standards"' features. The push/pull knobs are a great edition, but the chambering is a complete no go for me.

Ya, i hadn't thought of that.

I think the standards have weight relief, as opposed to chambering like in the Studios. Can you elaborate on what it is about chambering, or weight relief for that matter, that makes it a no go for you?

I don't mind the old weight relief so much as it wasn't too bad. I'd prefer guitars without it though. I personally think the chambered Lp's were ridiculous. How they can still claim it is a solid body guitar when the guitar is so severely hollowed out. I don't mind Gibson making them as heavy guitars aren't anyones cup of tea, but I'd at least like the option of a proper solid guitar without having to pay custom shop prices. Instead, Gibson USA LP's are either chambered or weight relieved. Gibson constantly like to tell us that this is better, but don't seem to think of those of us who like the weight (And I know a lot of people who do). Nor do they seem to think of those who play hard rock. Chambered guitars aren't as good as the solid variety for that kind of music

Having spent most of my guitar playing life with Les Pauls, I have become accustomed to the weight. It took a little adjustment at first, but now I love the weight of the LP. Every other guitar out there feels like a toy around my shoulders. Now I find myself in a position where some of the old weight relieved LP's are heavy enough for my liking, but most LP's are far too light. Why should I spend custom shop prices when I could buy a used 70's model in good condition for far cheaper? If Gibson wants to keep my business, the least they can do is make a certain percentage of their guitars solid and clearly mark them as such. For example, Les Paul traditional (S), Les Paul traditional (CH), Les Paul traditional (WR).

Ya, i hadn't thought of that.

I think the standards have weight relief, as opposed to chambering like in the Studios. Can you elaborate on what it is about chambering, or weight relief for that matter, that makes it a no go for you?

harmonic frequencies were lost, very different feel to it, weight! i coudn't play a few rapid solo's because the weight anchoring the body still wasnt there, off balanced

where im from as a kid we generally relate weight to value. playing a heavy les paul to a light les paul with the above mentioned just makes you feel your playing a budget model

i know alot of others would disagree but i say, why did gibson redesign the 2012 LP with a "new" weight relief method then?

Dude, we know you're anxious, we know you GOTTA have one, and nothing pleases us more than the day the next axe is in our hands, yet, I would definitely wait till I could swing the 2012 Standard. Why? Cuz you want one! you know it, I know it, the entire forum knows it! Really man, the new standards are things of beauty, I wish I could find a way to grab one, and I already have two excellent Standards.

I don't mind the old weight relief so much as it wasn't too bad. I'd prefer guitars without it though. I personally think the chambered Lp's were ridiculous. How they can still claim it is a solid body guitar when the guitar is so severely hollowed out. I don't mind Gibson making them as heavy guitars aren't anyones cup of tea, but I'd at least like the option of a proper solid guitar without having to pay custom shop prices. Instead, Gibson USA LP's are either chambered or weight relieved. Gibson constantly like to tell us that this is better, but don't seem to think of those of us who like the weight (And I know a lot of people who do). Nor do they seem to think of those who play hard rock. Chambered guitars aren't as good as the solid variety for that kind of music

Having spent most of my guitar playing life with Les Pauls, I have become accustomed to the weight. It took a little adjustment at first, but now I love the weight of the LP. Every other guitar out there feels like a toy around my shoulders. Now I find myself in a position where some of the old weight relieved LP's are heavy enough for my liking, but most LP's are far too light. Why should I spend custom shop prices when I could buy a used 70's model in good condition for far cheaper? If Gibson wants to keep my business, the least they can do is make a certain percentage of their guitars solid and clearly mark them as such. For example, Les Paul traditional (S), Les Paul traditional (CH), Les Paul traditional (WR).

YEah I still feel fairly mixed about this... I also love heavy guitars.. I have a 2002 Classic that weighs about 11-12 lbs and it feels it when I play it. Id say it also still has the edge over all my other guitars on sound too, theres just a smoother quality to it.. HOWEVER about 3-4 years ago I wanted something different after having the Classic for like eight years and it being the only electric i owned, and I bought a Strat, had it for a year and never bonded with it, then I sold that and went on the hunt for a cheaper Gibson and ended up with a Double Cut Faded which I really grew to love quickly, its so much fun it begs you to play it and it was my first with P90s... Thats a flat slab of wood so you cant really compare to a LP single cut, but having that opened the flood gates to me loving lighter guitars to muck around on.. Now I have a 60s Tribute which is chambered and its taken over as my fave guitar..

Dont get me wrong I think that my Classic is still the best as I say (and I use that or the standard for recording most the time), but for mucking around I nearly always go for one of the lighter guitars as they feel more fun. The heavy LPs almost demand that you take them seriously and so you should they are professional and expensive instruments, but I really dig the lighter ones now. I have all my guitars out on stands so I can pick any one up as easily as the other.. And for the last six months or so its 80% the Tribute.. I love it to death.. So for me they have their place, they still feel and sound like a LP but without the back ache or worry about damage so much ;)

I have also had a varied amount of guitars over the years. However, since I got my first LP, it's kind of ruined other guitars for me. I'm also a fan of SG's, but they do feel like toys compared to an LP imo. Guess I just got used to the LP and everything else paled in comparison. It's not a bad thing, it's just the guitar for me. But I'm growing increasingly concerned by the lack of a true solidbody option.

I'm in Japan now, and there are many high end Tokai's that are made just the way I like them and are still cheaper than a Gibson. I really hope Henry realizes that there are many of us out there who love the weight of the Les Paul. Instead, we just get told how the weight relieved and chambered ones are better. They aren't to me. Maybe some day, when I can afford custom shop prices, I'll bite, but for now I may stick to the secondhand market, or look at companies like Tokai. Having played Gibson r8's and r9's, the difference between them and a high end Tokai is negligible... The only big difference is the price.

Of course, my stance on the matter isn't being helped by the fact that, in addition to the secondhand aged white 68 RI custom that I've been eyeing up, I'm also gassing for a LP Trad pro and LP classic custom. :-({|=

I'm also gassing for a LP Trad pro and LP classic custom. :-({|=

I hear that, im a lefty so I miss out on the classic customs but my traditional after I did a major overhaul on has got me up there with the R8's that i've played but with its own personality due to personal choices of materials used for the hardware.

I love Tokai's attention to detail on every aspect of their LP's. I use their Faber Aluminium locking stopbar on all my Gibsons.

Dude, we know you're anxious, we know you GOTTA have one, and nothing pleases us more than the day the next axe is in our hands, yet, I would definitely wait till I could swing the 2012 Standard. Why? Cuz you want one! you know it, I know it, the entire forum knows it! Really man, the new standards are things of beauty, I wish I could find a way to grab one, and I already have two excellent Standards.

Hahahaah! So true. [woot] I do want the 2012 standard! It's a tough decision though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a tough decision. To me, I'd personally go with the studio but I'm one of those weird people that likes them a lot. lol I own standards and studio's and I get more play out of my studio's. I'm a metal player so my studio's have different types of pickups. The Standard's I keep stock. The studio's have EMG 81x's or dimarzio breed's.

A modded guitar to me suits me more than having a more expensive guitar non modded. The locking tuners are of course addicting too. I need to put those on my Gibson's. I have them on my ESP guitars. My Eclipse which is a Les Paul style guitar is my favorite guitar right now. It's the only Les Paul copy that I've played that felt and sounded better than the Gibson in my style of music. That thing gets more play than anything! And it's just the LTD version. lol 900 bucks will get you a sweet guitar if you're a metal guy.

Archived