Gibson Brands Forums

Thomann Music?

Gruffchris

Hey,

I'm in the market for a new electric, I'm still undecided between a LP studio or a SG standard. I really wanted a LP Standard, so I was thinking of going for the SG now and saving for a proper LP :rolleyes:

Anyway Thomann music is doing SG standards and LP studios for about 1/5 of the price, or 200 pounds UK off the RRP. Including strap, stand, plec's, strings, guitar care kit, etc(with a month to try it out).

I've rang a few UK shops but none will match the prices?

So I guess my question is has anyone used thomann or what kind of reputation does it have in the industry?

Care to share a link to a specifik guitar? I've used Thomann before but not for guitars. On parts and stuff they're usually only 5-10% cheaper than stores, so guitars for 1/5 of the price doesn't sound right to me.

I've used Thomann for a lot of stuff, very efficient company. Never had any problems with them. Am currently expecting 2 boxes of stuff from them today.

I've bought 1 guitar from them, no problems and have used them as a reference point for a lot of guitar purchases when haggling on prices locally.

I guess what you meant to say was their price is 1/5 off the regular local prices, which is about normal for them.

Purely personal opinion (PPO)....

I am intrinsically opposed to these 'warehouse' operations, efficient though they may be

They are no doubt well organised and with good returns policies etc...albeit 'over the water'

I always prefer a shop trial with real salespeople involved...they often work to offer competitive deals trade-ins etc...

Also...before purchasing SG/LP type guitars...

Check out the highly regarded UK hand-builder 'Gordon Smith'

I cherish both SG and LP style guitars from their factory...at very attractive prices....

V

:-({|=

Hey guys,

Cheers for the reply's.

To be honest I wouldn't normaly use a over seas company, but the price and returns policy swayed it for me :) I'm thinking that i have a month to see if it's a decent guitar, and maybe save up some more penny's and swap it?(is that really bad [flapper] )

Here are the links

SG

LP STudio

I just looked and id you order the SG bundle, you get loads of extra equipment for the similar price [smile]

P.S. just on the UK dealer note, I rang about 5 off the net and went into my local store, none were interested in coming close.

Guest farnsbarns

They're fine, I've used them a lot but wouldn't buy an expensive guitar unseen. Call GAK in Brighton, they'll price match Thomann, actually most UK dealers will if asked.

Hey guy's,

Cheers for the reply's [thumbup]

Someone was asking how 900 euros is 1/5(20%) of RRP.

The guitars both sell for 999.99 pounds(UK) RRP. These are 812 pounds with extras like strap, plec's, stand, guitar cleaning kit.

anyway that's 1/5(20%) give or take a tenner.

About GAK price matching, I did ring a few english dealers, but not GAK as a member of this forum told me they are notorious for selling B stock guitars?

The SG with the katalocks board or whatever it's called is the onlything i'm woried about, i google'd it and it's Mexican ebony?WoodLink

Anyway I ordered it, so we'll see what comes.............lol.

Guest farnsbarns

About GAK price matching, I did ring a few english dealers, but not GAK as a member of this forum told me they are notorious for selling B stock guitars?

Ok, I have had an issue or two with GAK in the last 20 year's and am by no means a fan boy but they always come good, they had a rough patch last year when the long standing shop manager left and a director of 20 years went too which led to some cs issues, no one's perfect but if you're going to say something like that about the UK's largest Gibson dealer you'd best quote the source.

Btw, the reason for confusion over 20% is because you keep saying "20% of" when you mean (presumably) "20% off"

I have had a few experiences with Gak. Ordered a pedal or two from them 6 years ago and they arrived promptly. No complaints there. Back in 2008, I ordered a peavey valveking 100w head and 4x12 cab. I had hoped they would arrive as swiftly as the pedals. In the end, they took a few months. The delay was on the manufacturers end. I was always able to get info from them whenever I called. However, I would have liked it if I received an occasional update without having to call. I would use them again though... That is, If I'm back in the UK at some point.

I've never heard anyone complain about them. However, I'd never order a guitar online. It's just my personal preference. For the sake of a few hundred quid, it's better to have piece of mind when you buy a guitar that you could potentially own/love/play for decades. I played a lot of LP's before I picked up my #1.

The only way I'd go down the online retailer route for a guitar is if it was an absolute bargain... To the point where any potential work needed on the guitar would be covered with the savings. If I was to go down the route of ordering online, I'd most definitely go with Thomann, GAK or Musicians friend. Those three seem to be mostly praised.

Guest farnsbarns

I have had a few experiences with Gak. Ordered a pedal or two from them 6 years ago and they arrived promptly. No complaints there. Back in 2008, I ordered a peavey valveking 100w head and 4x12 cab. I had hoped they would arrive as swiftly as the pedals. In the end, they took a few months. The delay was on the manufacturers end. I was always able to get info from them whenever I called. However, I would have liked it if I received an occasional update without having to call. I would use them again though... That is, If I'm back in the UK at some point.

I've never heard anyone complain about them. However, I'd never order a guitar online. It's just my personal preference. For the sake of a few hundred quid, it's better to have piece of mind when you buy a guitar that you could potentially own/love/play for decades. I played a lot of LP's before I picked up my #1.

The only way I'd go down the online retailer route for a guitar is if it was an absolute bargain... To the point where any potential work needed on the guitar would be covered with the savings. If I was to go down the route of ordering online, I'd most definitely go with Thomann, GAK or Musicians friend. Those three seem to be mostly praised.

Just to add to this, GAK is a bricks and mortar shop, you can order online as well, of course.

Cheers for clearing that up guys.

Yes sorry I meant 20% off, lol, [blush]

I'm not naming names but I spoke to a forum member about his guitar saying that GAK and woodbrass had them in stock for the same price as second hand model, and he replied saying what I said.

If I knew they were flexible on price and Ok then I would rather give my money to a UK company, but as I said I couldn't get a good discount from anyone?

+++

About buying from online, I normally get things from dolphin music, cause it's close to me, and you can speak to the guy's in the shop. I got my acoustic from Guitar village, luckily that turned out OK [thumbup] . I have 30 day's with the guitar so if it's a dud then it can go straight back. one thing I will say is they have good customer service, english speaking person calls you right back.

Again I didn't mean to bring Gak's name in to disrepute, as I said I've never bought anything from them, Gak got metioned so I gave my honest reply [tongue]

Oh this is the package i got for 820pounds(does anyone know's how to change my keyboard settings? that would be great, I can not do a pound sign, it's set up american or something)

SG Standard, gold lead, stand, harley padded strap, Gibson luthiers choice kit, gibson cap?, harely benton pick set, strings and metal? pick set.

I have had good experience with GAK

3-4 years ago they were my first tentative 'web purchase for various items

Culminating in one Firebird [thumbup]

Followed by another Firebird 2 years later [thumbup]

Both fastidiously set-up, packaged etc

A real pleasure to deal with...and one of the early 'order tracker' deliveries too...

Dolphin and dv247 are also excellent for shop or 'web purchases

Without wishing to stir up a hornets' nest :blink:

I like to support local shops/dealers.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

PS Forget ye not Gordon Smith.... [thumbup]

I've used Thomann twice and have been very satisfied. They pack their guitars very well but the extra wait from Deutschland is a killer.

As said above, DV247.com will EU price match although I've never used them. A damaged guitar would be a lot easier to return though......or you could try before you buy as they're dotted around the UK.

Link:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/electric-guitars/sg/

I know it all too well.

What you tring to tell me Chris Hoy isn't English? Next you'll be telling me Ferguson isn't [flapper]

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who posted [thumbup] (oh, if i new dv247 was english or uk then i would have ordered from the :) )

I got the SG on Saturday and she's a nice guitar.

No intonation problems, the action is about normal (could be lowered IMO) but she'll do for now.

I bought my Les Paul from Thomann 2 years ago. Quick delivery. I didn't have any problems with the package, they pack it very well and keeps your precious items safe!

I've heard from other people that their customer service is very well too, if you have any complain about your order you can send it back and they will refund you.

Archived