Gibson Brands Forums

Chicago Blue

wawunderground

Hi, this is my first post, but I'm looking for maybe some touch up or extra paint so I can paint my custom guitar that I'm building, I can't seem to find any kind of Chicago blue like Gibson puts on the traditionals. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

Where do you live?

In the UK I have used this guy before.. He told me he gets the Nitro from the same place Gibson does and mixes the colours himself and actually supplies Gibson London.. I used it to do a cherry red faded DC and it worked a treat.. Its 3 years later and the paint job is still holding and looking good :)

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/category/nitrocellulose-lacquer/

Hello and welcome.

Where do you live?

In the UK I have used this guy before.. He told me he gets the Nitro from the same place Gibson does and mixes the colours himself and actually supplies Gibson London.. I used it to do a cherry red faded DC and it worked a treat.. Its 3 years later and the paint job is still holding and looking good :)

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/category/nitrocellulose-lacquer/

Damn, I wish he could ship to the US, I'd love to redo my 91 SG Jr RI in "Pelham Blue Metallic".

thanks for the tip, I'm in the US, I'll check reranch again for the blue, damn I wish he could ship here

No worries :)

Also be aware that what you have to do when spraying is build up the colour.. if you get a blue thats not quite dark enough you will need to build it up with many layers that will darken with more coats.. You will also need a clear coat when you get the colour right if you want to get that high gloss look.

No worries :)

Also be aware that what you have to do when spraying is build up the colour.. if you get a blue thats not quite dark enough you will need to build it up with many layers that will darken with more coats.. You will also need a clear coat when you get the colour right if you want to get that high gloss look.

yeah, definitely, yeah I got a nice LP style guitar ready to be finished and I was looking around for some really cool colors and what-not, and I found Chicago blue and decided that's what I was gonna go with, btw Reranch doesn't have it but I sent him an email to try and find out if he knew where I could get some

Archived