Gibson Brands Forums

Ordering a Les Paul Tribute Plus From The States

RipperSB

Ordered an Epi Les Paul Tribute Plus from Musician's Friend on Sat and got an update today... "Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance." Uh-oh... brokerage. So I called CBSA and talked to them about self-clearing to avoid paying brokerage fees (VERY helpful dude in Regina, BTW) something I found out about here: UPS/FedEx Brokerage Fee and he verified what was in the article. He also recommended that if you have a choice on shipping, select US Post as they have a reciprocity agreement with Canada Post and brokerage fees are fixed at $8.00, or deal with a company that will cover the brokerage fee... ideal solution of course. So I called UPS Customer Service Centre, in Winnipeg, with my tracking number want to find out what the brokerage fee would be to see if I wanted to self-clear. I live in Moose Jaw so I would have to drive to Regina (77 kms) and could burn $30.00 in gas going there and back. Dude on the phone told the brokerage fee was not available yet as the item had not cleared customs and when it did it would show up on the Tracking Information. I said OK, can you ballpark it for me... he said ballpark, $64.20. I said that is a pretty precise ballpark. So bottom line is at $599.99 + $64.20 + $60.00 (taxes) = $724.19 which is still way cheaper than the $849.95 + $85.00 (taxes) = $934.95 that my local guitar store was quoting or the "range in price from $770-925. There are a few in other Long & McQuade locations." response I got from L & M. Will keep you posted, as the adventure continues.

This just in... the package is now in Winnipeg and has been cleared, est delivery tomorrow. Speaking of clearing... let me clear up a few things about UPS and their charges... the gent I spoke to earlier who quoted me the $64.20 "ballpark" figure for Entry Preparation Fees apparently did not relize the package was being shipped by air (UPS Worldwide Expedited) which is FREE. If the shipment is via ground transport (UPS Standard) then it is subject to an EPF based on the value of the package, but not up to half the value as stated in the article above. For a $600 guitar the EPF would have been $58.20... but FREE is so much better. There is however a Bond Fee. From the UPS Rate Guide... "Customers are responsible for payment of duties and taxes. When funds are not provided in advance by the customer, and UPS must post a bond to allow UPS shipments to be released in advance of payment to the Canada Border Services Agency(CBSA), a fee of 2.7% (minimum $6on UPS Standard; minimum $10 on UPS Worldwide Expedited)" So, bottom line... final answer for GST and PST on the guitar and UPS Bond Fee (plus GST) is $77.81. I just got the original purchase on my VISA and the exchange rate (presumably at time of purchase) was 1.024 and so the 599.99 USD became 614.39 CDN for a grand total of $692.20 for a new Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus.

This just in... the package is now in Winnipeg and has been cleared, est delivery tomorrow. Speaking of clearing... let me clear up a few things about UPS and their charges... the gent I spoke to earlier who quoted me the $64.20 "ballpark" figure for Entry Preparation Fees apparently did not relize the package was being shipped by air (UPS Worldwide Expedited) which is FREE. If the shipment is via ground transport (UPS Standard) then it is subject to an EPF based on the value of the package, but not up to half the value as stated in the article above. For a $600 guitar the EPF would have been $58.20... but FREE is so much better. There is however a Bond Fee. From the UPS Rate Guide... "Customers are responsible for payment of duties and taxes. When funds are not provided in advance by the customer, and UPS must post a bond to allow UPS shipments to be released in advance of payment to the Canada Border Services Agency(CBSA), a fee of 2.7% (minimum $6on UPS Standard; minimum $10 on UPS Worldwide Expedited)" So, bottom line... final answer for GST and PST on the guitar and UPS Bond Fee (plus GST) is $77.81. I just got the original purchase on my VISA and the exchange rate (presumably at time of purchase) was 1.024 and so the 599.99 USD became 614.39 CDN for a grand total of $692.20 for a new Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus.

Congrats! [thumbup] Looks as though you got a decent deal afterall. [thumbup] Can't wait to see the pics!

That's quite the process. [confused]

I find it's easiest to order things through Music 123, and get their flat rate UPS Standard shipping for $14.95, and be ready to pay whatever this chart lists, plus about 10-20 dollars more...

It still usually turns out as less than what something would be around here.

For example, a Vox AC4TVH around here would total about $290

From music123 it would be $255

That's quite the process. [confused]

I find it's easiest to order things through Music 123, and get their flat rate UPS Standard shipping for $14.95, and be ready to pay whatever this chart lists, plus about 10-20 dollars more...

It still usually turns out as less than what something would be around here.

For example, a Vox AC4TVH around here would total about $290

From music123 it would be $255

I think it sounds like a confusing process because it is the first time I've gone through this but when you actually look at it the only extra fee I have to pay is the $10.50 CDN Bond Fee. By shipping it (free) via UPS Worldwide Expedited, Musician's Friend saved me the costs listed on your chart. So, I saved $245.00 compared to the quote from my local store. As long as it arrives OK I will definitely be shopping there again.

Actually, wouldn't we be know as 'the colonies' over here, not the states.

The original poster is from Canada, and we still say "The States" here in Canada. [biggrin]

I absolutely detest having to use UPS for shipping. Their fees on this end are horrendous. Definitely use USPS or Fedex if possible.

My fees on a 150 dollar item from the US to Alberta were a total of 46.00.

I absolutely detest having to use UPS for shipping. Their fees on this end are horrendous. Definitely use USPS or Fedex if possible.

My fees on a 150 dollar item from the US to Alberta were a total of 46.00.

Absolutely Gordy, UPS are hopeless at international shipping, USPS do the international thing the best IMHO.

I'll close off this thread by announcing the arrival of my first Epiphone Les Paul and the Tribute Plus is a beauty! I'll post pics on a new NGD thread. Cheers. [biggrin][biggrin]

Edit: it just occurred to me to explain the final charges paid to the driver... the total was $77.81 and the breakdown was Duty: $35.74 According to the doc they go by country of origin (China) not country of import (USA) plus Goods and Services Tax: $31.57 plus the aforementioned Bond Fee: $10.50(incl GST). As I said before the extra charges still put this purchase waaaaaay below what I would have paid here.

The USPS accepts larger packages without using the "Dimensional Weight" penalty that UPS imposes. Hence, if you're shipping a guitar in the US (or overseas) the USPS is your best bet. Using Parcel Post in the US, USPS charges less than $20.00 to move a guitar around the US (use Priority to Hawaii). International rates are also favorable to UPS/Fed-Ex. I ship guitars regularly, and have found the Postal Service to be the most reliable,

safest most secure way to go.

Archived