Gibson Brands Forums

Number 1 song of 1969

JuanCarlosVejar

The theme was "Man destroying the earth"....much as it is now!

Rob I got the song .

What I don't get is the guy advertising a thing called "string science"

that is supposedly some revolutionary tecnology Martin was interested in .

yet if you watch his videos the guys says nothing about how the tecnology works .

I just think he is full of BS and wants to lie his way into peoples wallets.

search for zager guitar.

JC

Rob I got the song .

What I don't get is the guy advertising a thing called "string science"

that is supposedly some revolutionary tecnology Martin was interested in .

yet if you watch his videos the guys says nothing about how the tecnology works .

I just think he is full of BS and wants to lie his way into peoples wallets.

search for zager guitar.

JC

I didn't watch the video....I'm running my internet connection through my iPhone, so watching videos is slow.

I've never heard of anything involving a scam with these guys. There could be. Never followed them that closely. Just saying I haven't heard of it. After their one big hit, they did literally disappear, even though they released some other songs. Both are still active in music and according to Evans they have remained good friends. Evans says that he gets a kick from all the reports that used to say he and Zager were never friends. He said that what really killed Zager & Evans was having such a huge hit with their first song. He says they couldn't repeat the success and they couldn't handle the pressure of trying to do so.....

Zager builds guitars http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?event=public.store.guitars.list

Rick Evans still writes songs, still tours some, and over the last several years has been doing a lot of Worship music.

I've never heard of anything involving a scam with these guys. There could be. Never followed them that closely. Just saying I haven't heard of it. After their one big hit, they did literally disappear, even though they released some other songs. Both are still active in music and according to Evans they have remained good friends. Evans says that he gets a kick from all the reports that used to say he and Zager were never friends. He said that what really killed Zager & Evans was having such a huge hit with their first song. He says they couldn't repeat the success and they couldn't handle the pressure of trying to do so.....

Zager builds guitars http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?event=public.store.guitars.list

Rick Evans still writes songs, still tours some, and over the last several years has been doing a lot of Worship music.

Larry that is what I mean .

those guitars use a tecnology he named "string science" which is something he claims Martin was interested in 7 years ago.

he says that he makes the most playable guitar on the market .

that is a load of s**** to me .

to me the guy just wants to get easy money out of people's pockets

there was a J 45 on ebay that had been set up with the "string science" method and it cost $3800 .

I've never seen a J 45 at that price (unless it had special woods) . but Zager seems to be a clown claiming his guitar's action is better than a Taylor !!! .

JC

Juan, I don't know anything about "string science." Is it anything like ToneRite? I've heard so many "pros and cons" about ToneRite that I figure like a lot of guitar discussions, the answer lies in the opinion of the individual. I'm not against advances in technology or improvements in the way some things are done, it's just that some of the high-tech and changes are not for me. I have read of Zager's guitars before. Never played one or heard one, that I know of. I've got an old Regal that's about 70 years old. It's more playable than any Gibson or Taylor acoustic one can find. The strings are so low that it's ridiculous. The neck is perfect for me. No buzzing, no whining on high notes. Maybe it's an early version of this "string science" deal, or maybe it's just one-hell-of-a-setup. I really don't know if the guy is on to something or that maybe he personally sets-up the guitars he sells. Anyway, my friend, good thread.

Regarding Taylor playability-----I think Taylor makes a very good guitar, but I don't like their tone and how most of them all look the same: pretty. I don't want a "pretty" guitar...lol.. I doubt I'll ever get another one, so their playability doesn't mean anything to me.

Juan, I don't know anything about "string science." Is it anything like ToneRite? I've heard so many "pros and cons" about ToneRite that I figure like a lot of guitar discussions, the answer lies in the opinion of the individual. I'm not against advances in technology or improvements in the way some things are done, it's just that some of the high-tech and changes are not for me. I have read of Zager's guitars before. Never played one or heard one, that I know of. I've got an old Regal that's about 70 years old. It's more playable than any Gibson or Taylor acoustic one can find. The strings are so low that it's ridiculous. The neck is perfect for me. No buzzing, no whining on high notes. Maybe it's an early version of this "string science" deal, or maybe it's just one-hell-of-a-setup. I really don't know if the guy is on to something or that maybe he personally sets-up the guitars he sells. Anyway, my friend, good thread.

Regarding Taylor playability-----I think Taylor makes a very good guitar, but I don't like their tone and how most of them all look the same: pretty. I don't want a "pretty" guitar...lol.. I doubt I'll ever get another one, so their playability doesn't mean anything to me.

Larry you be the Judge :

JC

9 mins 12 seconds and not even a single chord struck, says quite a lot doesn't it? Proper creepy sort too!

I checked every part of his site, watched every video, and not anywhere does he tell or explain WHAT it is he does, or what it entails.

I think what angers people, is he is selling a CONCEPT, an idea of something, and that 'something' doesn't exist in reality. There is no actual "process" or "science" or "mod" or anything.

What that amounts to, is a scam.

The SCAM is, in reality he wants to sell you a 200-300$ guitar for 600$, and to do that to as many people as possible, he has to justify it.

Basically what Denny Zager does is take a $100 Asian made guitar, swap out the nut, file down the frets until they are useless, put 10-42 gauge strings on it and charge $400-$600 more that the guitar is actually worth. This probably takes him or his son (Denny Jr.) all of 30 minutes to do. According to some reports that if you use anything other than ultra-light gauge strings on his guitars you will void the warranty. Also if you remove or damage the plastic film over the pickguard you will void the warranty.

Having been in the mail order retail business for several years I can tell you that he has a full money back guaranteed return policy. This is very attractive to customers. Especially newbie guitarists looking for an "easy" way to learn guitar. Denny counts on these people. He counts on that by the time they have learned how to play properly and learn more about guitar in general they have also figured out that they have been ripped off. By then it's too late and they cannot send back the guitar for full refund so they end up selling it to buy a better instrument and take a huge loss and feel shame.

The other type of customer Denny counts on are the ones who pay the exorbitant amount for the guitar and lose interest and put the thing away in the closet never to be seen again. I can guarantee you he is certainly not a Luthier. Have you ever seen any pictures or videos of his workshop on his website? I guess he does all that magic string science stuff right there on that fancy white couch in front of his fireplace.

Basically what Denny Zager does is take a $100 Asian made guitar, swap out the nut, file down the frets until they are useless, put 10-42 gauge strings on it and charge $400-$600 more that the guitar is actually worth.

Have you ever seen any pictures or videos of his workshop on his website? I guess he does all that magic string science stuff right there on that fancy white couch in front of his fireplace.

I don't see anything that makes me think he works on them at all.

Guitars from China or where ever they come from could be made with any set-up, string gauge, etc. There is nothing he does that is any different than what a guy who builds the guitar would do.

No reason to think he would HAVE to do anything to them.

Archived