Gibson Guitar Board: Metal/Hardcore etc & who likes it. - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metal/Hardcore etc & who likes it. Loud & fast

#21 User is offline   bigneil 

  • British Watts are Louder !
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2925
  • Joined: 26-March 09
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

cool thread. When it comes to the heavy stuff, I always liked Maiden, metallica, Xentrix, Megadeth, sepultura, machine head, and slayer \:D/

here are my two offerings



Posted Image
~~~ Hofner, Yamaha, Epi, Epi, Washburn, Grestch, Epi, Ibanez ~~~

Posted Image

All sparks will burn out in the end.

The Unoficial epiphone Wiki

#22 User is offline   Epi Rocks 

  • Born to Rock n' Roll
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 23-November 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostClanky44, on 11 April 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

All music genres morph with time. What we considered 'metal' back in the 70's wouldn't classify as such today (by today's youth). There's so many sub-genres of metal today that even todays metal heads can't come to agreement.

... here's a brief rundown for all of us ol-timers... [biggrin]


1 Alternative metal
2 Avant-garde metal
3 Black metal
3.1 Derivatives of black metal
3.1.1 Symphonic black metal
3.1.2 Viking metal
4 Cello metal
5 Christian metal
5.1 Derivatives of Christian metal
5.1.1 Unblack metal
6 Crust punk
7 Death metal
7.1 Derivatives of death metal
7.1.1 Death 'n' roll
7.1.2 Melodic death metal
7.1.3 Technical death metal
8 Doom metal
8.1 Derivatives of doom metal
8.1.1 Funeral doom
8.1.2 Death/doom
8.1.3 Drone metal
8.1.4 Sludge metal
9 Extreme metal
10 Folk metal
10.1 Derivatives of folk metal
10.1.1 Celtic metal
10.1.2 Medieval metal
10.1.3 Pagan metal
11 Funk metal
12 Glam metal
13 Gothic metal
14 Grindcore
14.1 Derivatives of grindcore
14.1.1 Deathgrind
14.1.2 Goregrind
15 Groove metal
16 Grunge
17 Industrial metal
18 Metalcore
18.1 Derivatives of metalcore
18.1.1 Deathcore
18.1.2 Mathcore
18.1.3 Nintendocore
19 Neo-classical metal
20 Nu metal
21 Post-metal
22 Power metal
23 Progressive metal
23.1 Derivatives of progressive metal
23.1.1 Djent
24 Rap metal
25 Speed metal
26 Stoner rock
27 Symphonic metal
28 Thrash metal
28.1 Derivatives of thrash metal
28.1.1 Crossover thrash
29 Traditional heavy metal




"Bloody 'ell mate"!!!! [scared]

I've got a headache already and I haven't even turned up the volume! #-o

Too many sub/genres for me. Guess I'm just too 'Old School'. [laugh]


Cheers
Paul
Posted Image

EPI's
Black Beauty - 2004
White Devil (G400 Custom Ltd Maestro) - 2006
Explorer Korina - 1958 Re-Issue

Fender Squier Pro-tone Stratocaster - 1998
Legend 12S String Dreadnaught - 2007
Fender Acoustic - 1993
Gibson Studio Fireburst - 2011

Amps
Roland Cube 30x
Marshall MA100H
Hughes & Kettner Quadbox
Kustom Quad 100H
Trace Elliot Powered Twin Box

Too Many Pedals to mention

#23 User is offline   eggs 

  • I BLame it On Brad
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8873
  • Joined: 05-September 08
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostRaSTuS, on 11 April 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

No way I'd classify Zep or Purple as metal, heavy/hard rock, but never metal, I'd classify Sabbath as the same, though they did get closer to metal.


View PostDigger, on 11 April 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Wot 'e sed!

& pretty much what Tony said (at 3.30) in this very poor quality video from 1983



Boy egglette, who went to this very gig, turned me onto these guys...

& you can't tell me, but I can't tell him, that they aren't Sabbath influenced +:-@


Stuart

1998 Epiphone (Unsung) Ripper Bass - 'Crazy Chester'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) 'fenderish' Nighthawk - 'The Vulture'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) Sheraton- 'Honey'
2000 Epiphone (Samick Indonesia) AJ-100- 'Big Red'
2000(?) Lobo Mini G- 'The Mystery Midget'
1998 Epiphone Electar Tube 30 Combo
1999 Epiphone Regent Bass 50 Combo
Vox AC4TV Head & V112TV Cabinet
Yamaha P70 Electric Piano
Tascam DP-03 Portastudio


Recently Separated:
1995 Epiphone (Samick) Non Reverse Thunderbird Bass - 'The Weirdbird'
1997 Epiphone (Samick) Les Paul Junior - 'Junior' - Signed by The Man Himself
2007 Epiphone (QingDao) G400 Flame Top-'QingDao Lass' - Too young, but oh so pretty!
1981 Ibanez AR100BS Artist- 'Baby'
1981 Ibanez Ragtime Special w/ Barcus Berry Underbridge PUP
1994 Fender (MIJ) Telecaster - 'The Black Sheep'
Marshall G80RCD 80 watt Combo - I just needed some valves!


Lust List:
A mid 1990s 'Blondie' Rivoli Bass with a Big Fat Mudbucker

#24 User is offline   rubyred 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 293
  • Joined: 27-August 11
  • LocationBrisbane , Australia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

The only difference between a person who likes metal and a person who doesn`t is that a metalhead doesn't care if you like it or not.
Posted ImagePosted Image


Epiphone ES-175 `06 "Honey" - Vintage Sunburst
Epiphone Wildkat `05 "Ruby" - Metallic Red
Epiphone Les Paul Standard `91 "Sherry" - Cherry Sunburst
Epiphione Wilshire `06 "Bianca"- White
Danelectro DC-3 - `Lanie` - Gloss Black
Gretsch Electromatic G5248T - `Goldie` - Metallic Gold
Yamaha Pacifica Seymour Duncan equipped Strat. - Metallic Blue
Tanglewood TW28 CLN acoustic `no name - just niiiice`
Vox Valvetronix VT40+
Randall RG40R
Laney LX35R

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
Ferdinand Porsche

#25 User is offline   RSDx 

  • Occupation : Foole
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5728
  • Joined: 07-February 08

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostClanky44, on 11 April 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

All music genres morph with time. What we considered 'metal' back in the 70's wouldn't classify as such today (by today's youth). There's so many sub-genres of metal today that even todays metal heads can't come to agreement.

... here's a brief rundown for all of us ol-timers... [biggrin]


1 Alternative metal
2 Avant-garde metal
3 Black metal
3.1 Derivatives of black metal
3.1.1 Symphonic black metal
3.1.2 Viking metal
4 Cello metal
5 Christian metal
5.1 Derivatives of Christian metal
5.1.1 Unblack metal
6 Crust punk
7 Death metal
7.1 Derivatives of death metal
7.1.1 Death 'n' roll
7.1.2 Melodic death metal
7.1.3 Technical death metal
8 Doom metal
8.1 Derivatives of doom metal
8.1.1 Funeral doom
8.1.2 Death/doom
8.1.3 Drone metal
8.1.4 Sludge metal
9 Extreme metal
10 Folk metal
10.1 Derivatives of folk metal
10.1.1 Celtic metal
10.1.2 Medieval metal
10.1.3 Pagan metal
11 Funk metal
12 Glam metal
13 Gothic metal
14 Grindcore
14.1 Derivatives of grindcore
14.1.1 Deathgrind
14.1.2 Goregrind
15 Groove metal
16 Grunge
17 Industrial metal
18 Metalcore
18.1 Derivatives of metalcore
18.1.1 Deathcore
18.1.2 Mathcore
18.1.3 Nintendocore
19 Neo-classical metal
20 Nu metal
21 Post-metal
22 Power metal
23 Progressive metal
23.1 Derivatives of progressive metal
23.1.1 Djent
24 Rap metal
25 Speed metal
26 Stoner rock
27 Symphonic metal
28 Thrash metal
28.1 Derivatives of thrash metal
28.1.1 Crossover thrash
29 Traditional heavy metal




HOLY CRAP!!! LOL!!! Guess I'm outta the loop ... guess I'm stuck in the "traditional metal" state of mind.
_____________________________
"Singing is a trick to get people to listen to music for longer than they would ordinarily." - David Byrne

#26 User is offline   AlanH 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1893
  • Joined: 26-January 10

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

View Postbrad1, on 11 April 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:


If the guitar and drums are at the center of the music, chances are I will like it. [thumbup]



+1000

I love any guitar music but I grew up on hard rock, metal and then thrash (Deep Purple, Led Zep, Rainbow, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Dio, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Ozzy Osbourne, WASP, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax.....)

Then came grunge and Brit pop which killed it all off.

I don't listen to all the new genres but I'm glad metal lives on for the kids of today.

If you read youtube comments you'll see that those kids really like all the old school metal and thrash. Now that is cool!


Alan

Guitars:
Yamaha SE350; Gibson SG Faded; Epiphone Wildkat; Charvel USA Pro San Dimas Style 1 -2H; Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbuckers; Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige; Peavey Millenium BXP4 bass

Sold:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with JB and Jazz; Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe with 490R and 490T; Kramer Pacer Classic 2010

Amps:
Peavey Royal 8 Valve King; Peavey Backstage 50; Ashdown Tourbus 10W bass amp; Zoom H4 recorder/effects

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive); EH Pocket Metal Muff Nano (Distortion); Marshall Regenerator (Modulation); MXR Carbon Copy (Delay); Artec SE-GEQ (EQ/Tuner)

Sound clip: http://soundcloud.co...nhgtr1/alankob2
Video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c9rI5yP4v_k
Club: http://forum.gibson....ker-model-club/
Reviews: Wildkat; Pacer Classic
Useful restringing vid I found: http://www.youtube.c...B&v=Oclc4MHWbzw

.......

#27 User is offline   LSAR 

  • Permanent Noob
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 732
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • LocationManitoba, Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Here's a band I listen to a lot, I think they're considered "Groovecore":




I used to that low tunings and 8 strings, as well as screaming sounded horrible, but I find that nowadays, these guys and Children of Bodom get A LOT of playtime.
____________________________________________________
Guitars:
'12 Fender Newporter Traveler Acoustic
'10 Epi Wilshire Pro (Alpine White) Made in China (Bridge Pup Only)
'10 Epi Les Paul Junior Special Limited Edition (Cherry) Made in Indonesia (Mods: Grover Tuners, EMG 81-X,)
'07 Epi EM-1 R.I.P

Amps:
Vox VT30
Marshall MS-4 Micro Stack (Cab out mod)

____
_____________

#28 User is offline   LSAR 

  • Permanent Noob
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 732
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • LocationManitoba, Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Children of Bodom:

____________________________________________________
Guitars:
'12 Fender Newporter Traveler Acoustic
'10 Epi Wilshire Pro (Alpine White) Made in China (Bridge Pup Only)
'10 Epi Les Paul Junior Special Limited Edition (Cherry) Made in Indonesia (Mods: Grover Tuners, EMG 81-X,)
'07 Epi EM-1 R.I.P

Amps:
Vox VT30
Marshall MS-4 Micro Stack (Cab out mod)

____
_____________

#29 User is offline   eggs 

  • I BLame it On Brad
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8873
  • Joined: 05-September 08
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostAlanH, on 12 April 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Then came grunge and Brit pop which killed it all off.

IMO, no music ever really gets killed off...

The fan bases remain, & often grow over time...

As an example, I think Hendrix has a lot more fans now than he did 'back in the day'... & I can't help but think that quite a lot of those are people that probably didn't really 'enjoy' his music originally... Watch the crowd in 'Woodstock'... Drugs & outright exhaustion aside, loads of people were clearly not getting off on that, now legendary, set...

I was totally immersed in Brit Pop in the UK as it was happening, & still love it... Grunge took me longer to get into, but now I love it too... Often it has to do with the circumstances that bring you to the music that create the lasting endearment for it...

Another example, Brit Pop band Dodgy's "Good Enough" (if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me) became the renovation theme song for our apartment in the UK, so generates a lot of fond memories for me...

Metal was, is & always will be... & I am grateful for that fact...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Stuart

1998 Epiphone (Unsung) Ripper Bass - 'Crazy Chester'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) 'fenderish' Nighthawk - 'The Vulture'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) Sheraton- 'Honey'
2000 Epiphone (Samick Indonesia) AJ-100- 'Big Red'
2000(?) Lobo Mini G- 'The Mystery Midget'
1998 Epiphone Electar Tube 30 Combo
1999 Epiphone Regent Bass 50 Combo
Vox AC4TV Head & V112TV Cabinet
Yamaha P70 Electric Piano
Tascam DP-03 Portastudio


Recently Separated:
1995 Epiphone (Samick) Non Reverse Thunderbird Bass - 'The Weirdbird'
1997 Epiphone (Samick) Les Paul Junior - 'Junior' - Signed by The Man Himself
2007 Epiphone (QingDao) G400 Flame Top-'QingDao Lass' - Too young, but oh so pretty!
1981 Ibanez AR100BS Artist- 'Baby'
1981 Ibanez Ragtime Special w/ Barcus Berry Underbridge PUP
1994 Fender (MIJ) Telecaster - 'The Black Sheep'
Marshall G80RCD 80 watt Combo - I just needed some valves!


Lust List:
A mid 1990s 'Blondie' Rivoli Bass with a Big Fat Mudbucker

#30 User is offline   Epi Rocks 

  • Born to Rock n' Roll
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 23-November 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

View Posteggs, on 12 April 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

IMO, no music ever really gets killed off...

The fan bases remain, & often grow over time...

As an example, I think Hendrix has a lot more fans now than he did 'back in the day'... & I can't help but think that quite a lot of those are people that probably didn't really 'enjoy' his music originally... Watch the crowd in 'Woodstock'... Drugs & outright exhaustion aside, loads of people were clearly not getting off on that, now legendary, set...

I was totally immersed in Brit Pop in the UK as it was happening, & still love it... Grunge took me longer to get into, but now I love it too... Often it has to do with the circumstances that bring you to the music that create the lasting endearment for it...

Another example, Brit Pop band Dodgy's "Good Enough" (if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me) became the renovation theme song for our apartment in the UK, so generates a lot of fond memories for me...

Metal was, is & always will be... & I am grateful for that fact...

Just my 2 cents worth.



How very true Stuart.
Everyone has their own reasons for liking whatever genre.
Experiences determine our emotional reactions to certain forms of music.
It's all about feelings, and music is a powerful, emotional, initiator of feelings
and memories.

Paul
Posted Image

EPI's
Black Beauty - 2004
White Devil (G400 Custom Ltd Maestro) - 2006
Explorer Korina - 1958 Re-Issue

Fender Squier Pro-tone Stratocaster - 1998
Legend 12S String Dreadnaught - 2007
Fender Acoustic - 1993
Gibson Studio Fireburst - 2011

Amps
Roland Cube 30x
Marshall MA100H
Hughes & Kettner Quadbox
Kustom Quad 100H
Trace Elliot Powered Twin Box

Too Many Pedals to mention

#31 User is offline   eggs 

  • I BLame it On Brad
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8873
  • Joined: 05-September 08
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

View PostEpi Rocks, on 12 April 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

How very true Stuart.
Everyone has their own reasons for liking whatever genre.
Experiences determine our emotional reactions to certain forms of music.
It's all about feelings, and music is a powerful, emotional, initiator of feelings
and memories.

Paul

Correct... & here's a little, & absolutely 'Black Sabbath' contemporary, treat for you then Paul...

& these guys, another band that graced my High School, used to be sooooo loud that ears would bleed...

Sadly, I can't find any live clips of 'Buffalo'


Stuart

1998 Epiphone (Unsung) Ripper Bass - 'Crazy Chester'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) 'fenderish' Nighthawk - 'The Vulture'
1999 Epiphone (Samick) Sheraton- 'Honey'
2000 Epiphone (Samick Indonesia) AJ-100- 'Big Red'
2000(?) Lobo Mini G- 'The Mystery Midget'
1998 Epiphone Electar Tube 30 Combo
1999 Epiphone Regent Bass 50 Combo
Vox AC4TV Head & V112TV Cabinet
Yamaha P70 Electric Piano
Tascam DP-03 Portastudio


Recently Separated:
1995 Epiphone (Samick) Non Reverse Thunderbird Bass - 'The Weirdbird'
1997 Epiphone (Samick) Les Paul Junior - 'Junior' - Signed by The Man Himself
2007 Epiphone (QingDao) G400 Flame Top-'QingDao Lass' - Too young, but oh so pretty!
1981 Ibanez AR100BS Artist- 'Baby'
1981 Ibanez Ragtime Special w/ Barcus Berry Underbridge PUP
1994 Fender (MIJ) Telecaster - 'The Black Sheep'
Marshall G80RCD 80 watt Combo - I just needed some valves!


Lust List:
A mid 1990s 'Blondie' Rivoli Bass with a Big Fat Mudbucker

#32 User is offline   Epi Rocks 

  • Born to Rock n' Roll
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 23-November 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

View Posteggs, on 12 April 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Correct... & here's a little, & absolutely 'Black Sabbath' contemporary, treat for you then Paul...

& these guys, another band that graced my High School, used to be sooooo loud that ears would bleed...

Sadly. I can't find any live clips of 'Buffalo'





Thanks Stu.
That track just sent me on a trip back in time to high school, 1978.

Some of us would play our hearts out to the kids on the school oval during the Spring and Summer months.

We had a music room with heaps of bi-folding doors we could open fully, facing the oval. The principle used to ask us to give the kids some entertainment during lunch.
We were always happy to oblige. Such great memories of the 70's mate. [biggrin]

Ahh, to be young again. :rolleyes:

Thanks
Paul
Posted Image

EPI's
Black Beauty - 2004
White Devil (G400 Custom Ltd Maestro) - 2006
Explorer Korina - 1958 Re-Issue

Fender Squier Pro-tone Stratocaster - 1998
Legend 12S String Dreadnaught - 2007
Fender Acoustic - 1993
Gibson Studio Fireburst - 2011

Amps
Roland Cube 30x
Marshall MA100H
Hughes & Kettner Quadbox
Kustom Quad 100H
Trace Elliot Powered Twin Box

Too Many Pedals to mention

#33 User is offline   Hungrycat 

  • SUSPENDED
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2202
  • Joined: 10-January 10
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

To those who say metal is pretentious: I find a lot of blues players to be just as guilty of pure musical masturbation as metal guys (I'm looking at you Joe Bonamassa...) Sure there's a lot of crappy material in metal, just like any other genre, but you should never dismiss any genre because you don't like one artist.

And now I give you the scariest band of the past decade: Ghost...


Have some Mastodon too:

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Hungrycat 

  • SUSPENDED
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2202
  • Joined: 10-January 10
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

And some Dillinger Escape Plan for good measure:


Protest the Hero is always good:

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Hungrycat 

  • SUSPENDED
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2202
  • Joined: 10-January 10
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

And then there's The Sword. I'm convinced they're time travelers from 1977:

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Posted Image

#36 User is offline   Pin 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 848
  • Joined: 25-September 11
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I can't say I like heavy metal much but I'd sooner listen to it all day than spend ten seconds listening to gangsta rap.
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; Yamaha AE12; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone ES345 "Special"; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus; Epiphone G400; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects. Fav amps - Bugera V5 RAT tri-rec combo and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#37 User is offline   Epi Rocks 

  • Born to Rock n' Roll
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 23-November 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostPin, on 13 April 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

I can't say I like heavy metal much but I'd sooner listen to it all day than spend ten seconds listening to gangsta rap.




That's it in a nutshell!
Rap!!! BLARRGGHHH!!!! Where's the tone in that?

I'd rather listen to Sabbath, Maiden, J.Priest, D.Lepard or Zep etc..

Paul
Posted Image

EPI's
Black Beauty - 2004
White Devil (G400 Custom Ltd Maestro) - 2006
Explorer Korina - 1958 Re-Issue

Fender Squier Pro-tone Stratocaster - 1998
Legend 12S String Dreadnaught - 2007
Fender Acoustic - 1993
Gibson Studio Fireburst - 2011

Amps
Roland Cube 30x
Marshall MA100H
Hughes & Kettner Quadbox
Kustom Quad 100H
Trace Elliot Powered Twin Box

Too Many Pedals to mention

#38 User is offline   ReneBoedker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 28-January 10

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostClanky44, on 11 April 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

All music genres morph with time. What we considered 'metal' back in the 70's wouldn't classify as such today (by today's youth). There's so many sub-genres of metal today that even todays metal heads can't come to agreement.

... here's a brief rundown for all of us ol-timers... [biggrin]


1 Alternative metal
2 Avant-garde metal
3 Black metal
3.1 Derivatives of black metal
3.1.1 Symphonic black metal
3.1.2 Viking metal
4 Cello metal
5 Christian metal
5.1 Derivatives of Christian metal
5.1.1 Unblack metal
6 Crust punk
7 Death metal
7.1 Derivatives of death metal
7.1.1 Death 'n' roll
7.1.2 Melodic death metal
7.1.3 Technical death metal
8 Doom metal
8.1 Derivatives of doom metal
8.1.1 Funeral doom
8.1.2 Death/doom
8.1.3 Drone metal
8.1.4 Sludge metal
9 Extreme metal
10 Folk metal
10.1 Derivatives of folk metal
10.1.1 Celtic metal
10.1.2 Medieval metal
10.1.3 Pagan metal
11 Funk metal
12 Glam metal
13 Gothic metal
14 Grindcore
14.1 Derivatives of grindcore
14.1.1 Deathgrind
14.1.2 Goregrind
15 Groove metal
16 Grunge
17 Industrial metal
18 Metalcore
18.1 Derivatives of metalcore
18.1.1 Deathcore
18.1.2 Mathcore
18.1.3 Nintendocore
19 Neo-classical metal
20 Nu metal
21 Post-metal
22 Power metal
23 Progressive metal
23.1 Derivatives of progressive metal
23.1.1 Djent
24 Rap metal
25 Speed metal
26 Stoner rock
27 Symphonic metal
28 Thrash metal
28.1 Derivatives of thrash metal
28.1.1 Crossover thrash
29 Traditional heavy metal


To get a better overview of the different sub-genres, I would recommend Map of Metal. It's a great site, which shows how the genres are related, and each genre has a description and sound samples.
'09 Epiphone Ltd. Edition 1966 G-400 (Natural Burst)
'09 Yamaha GL-1 Guitarlele
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall MG15CD

#39 User is offline   Morkolo 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1407
  • Joined: 05-September 11

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:09 PM



Yeah I like metal and am liking the newly released Pantera video. [thumbup]

#40 User is offline   Dougefresh91 

  • Can I borrow some ambition?
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 535
  • Joined: 01-January 11
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostHungrycat, on 13 April 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

To those who say metal is pretentious: I find a lot of blues players to be just as guilty of pure musical masturbation as metal guys (I'm looking at you Joe Bonamassa...) Sure there's a lot of crappy material in metal, just like any other genre, but you should never dismiss any genre because you don't like one artist. Plus it's really good to skate to.




I have to agree with that. I don't love most metal either because of the long drawn out guitar solos. It's a real snooze fest in my opinion. This is why I like punk, hardcore and other similar generes(except generic sounding metalcore, blech), there's no extra 'stuff' stuck in the songs. It's just go go go and you're done.

1.07 of awesome.



And some Madball for good measure.


Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users