Gibson Brands Forums

elderly field trip report

jefleppard

i dropped my daughter off at school after lunch and hightailed it to the detroit/windsor tunnel, hit I-96 west to lansing and pulled into elderly's lot at 1:30pm. traffic was evil. every highway in michigan is under construction it seems. lately, i've been driving with the radio off and trying to come up with my own stuff. i keep a pad of paper beside me and write without looking (at the pad!). kind of an extreme sport for artsies. anyway, elderly did not thrill me this time but i wouldn't say it was dissappointing. firstly, i'll say that they are martin'o'centric nowadays as half of the main showroom is dedicated to this brand. i am not crazy about martins (other than the d-28 - $75,000) but they have the entire line available to those that are. vintage, used, one-offs....even a teal blue cutaway. i was most impressed by the very old (50's?) 00-21. i would desribe it as sharp, cutting and bold.

the gibson brand has all but dissappeared as i found only a couple dozen in stock and some were doubles. there were several 60's birds, j-50adj's, B-25's...i had a blond moment with this one. i was trying to name the guitars by the shape w/o looking in the soundhole or asking. the saleskid held up a B25 right in front of me and asked what i thought. i said " nice B-25" i said proud to have guessed it. the kid, mockingly moved the headstock 4 inches closer to my face showing me the trussrod cover, in plain view, with the insrcibed "B-25" on it. "good guess" he said, almost laughing. i am a fool.

anyway, i was amazed by 3 guitars. first off and coming in at #3.. the recording king ros-626 12 fret w/slotted peghead. the tone was massive and punchy with sustain for days. the neck was thin but really wide. too wide for my marsupial-like mitt. but a great guitar, nontheless. here it is...

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ros-626-12-fret-000--ROS626.htm

next up was the gibson L-140. beautiful looking, smelling and playing guitar. smaller body (00) but it looked like an SWD that had fallen victim to the beetlejuice shrinking powder. cool fret markers that look like a dog's skull, great punchy bass and volume with a brassy shimmer to the highs not normally associated with RW and a baggs p/u. sooo sweet. good price, too. $1350w/hsc. i liked it slightly better than the recording king but both were fine guitars. here she is.....

http://elderly.com/vintage/names/gibson-l-140-%282004%29--20U-11956.htm

top of my list award goes to .............. a black guild F-50. what a monster! great action, intonation and style. coolest playing and looking guitar of the day. a tonne of tone and sustain. and heavy. wow. like its made of iron. an absolute tank. low profile neck plays like an electric - funny because this guitar is as heavy a 2 les pauls. gigantic tone. huge. its been around the shop for a while, too. jan'08 on the tag and they just knocked $200 off the original price. i started getting frantic. what could i sell? will they take $1750?!?! i can vacuum and make coffee!

here it is (i'd nix the pickguard)

http://elderly.com/fmic/names/guild-and-reg%3b-f-50-black-finish-with-case--F50-BLK.htm

ajsc - i asked about the $55000 j-100 but they said a guy from arizona had tried put it on hold using a home depot card.

Wish Id know you were going, Cunk-- Id have sent a "please sample" list. Seriously, those ROS jobs are pretty nice considering their, uh, point of origin. There is one over in my neck of the woods. Its on my short list for a back-up if I ever get around to selling my old J50. Re F50, a quick tour of GBase showed prices on sued ones from 1100 (s0ld) to 1900 and new form 1995-2195.

Guild does the 'braceless' arched back thing on these. I suppose the laminate helps it hold up. It doesn,t seem to hurt the tone on these babies a bit! I will vouch for cunk on the weight. My JF30 is dead heavy, but projects oh-so-finely.

Also with laminates, its less expensive to give you backs that look like this....

1282791579066230676S500x500Q85.jpg

Guild does the 'braceless' arched back thing on these. I suppose the laminate helps it hold up. It doesn' date='t seem to hurt the tone on these babies a bit! I will vouch for cunk on the weight. My JF30 is dead heavy, but projects oh-so-finely.

Also with laminates, its less expensive to give you backs that look like this....

[img']http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/43276/1282791579066230676S500x500Q85.jpg[/img]

definitely the first thing i noticed looking into the hole was the braceless back and the arch. but it never occurred to me that it was laminate! cool fact. what a beautiful guitar - sound and looks. ugh. i want it. but i was dreaming about all 3 of them (quite a menage, eh?) all day long today. on the 30th i'm off to the michigan annual guitar show in warren. i might take a dive there but its so hard hearing a guitar's subleties in those gigantic halls that it makes it difficult to be sure what you're getting.

i asked about it. the older lady there (kay?) said it was in the vault and she had no one to watch the floor while she went "down there". so i pressed no further.

Ah yes, the vault. Did you know they have Hank Williams in there too?

Archived