Gibson Guitar Board: How to trick QuickGrid's BPM detection/Beat Grids [v2.0] - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to trick QuickGrid's BPM detection/Beat Grids [v2.0] A *slightly* easier way than the previous one!

#1 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

So, thanks to Kris's great blog post, I've now found a slightly easier workaround for bad BPM/Beat Grids. First off, you'll need an SQLite editor to adjust the BPM values stored in the database the unit creates. There's an AIR app called Lita that does the job. You'll need to open the SCS.4DJ_Database/Stanton_DJ_DB.db file that gets created on your USB media. Then you can adjust the BPM values to correct them. That's the BPM sorted.

Next, to adjust the beat grid, simply make a 4/4 drum loop longer than your tune, at the correct BPM. Analyse it with Quickgrid, load it onto your USB and use QuickGrid to prepare the USB for use. Now you can open the file "hashes.dat" to check it's "analysis_hash" and find the folder the analysis files are stored in on the USB drive. Simply take the xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.sar file, and use it to replace the incorrect one your mp3 has (paste it into the badly analyzed mp3's analysis folder and change the filename to match it, deleting the original one). You'll be missing the "cover view" wave, but the beat grid will be correct to your new BPM.

The cool thing about doing it this way is, once you have for example a 125BPM beat grid analyzed, it can be re-used for any 125BPM tunes that get badly analyzed, so long as it's longer than the tune you're fixing. So I'm making all of mine around 10mins to be safe.

Now if only QuickGrid could show the waveform/beat grid it creates, and allow adjusting of it! From this little experiment I know that it's quite easily possible. Come on Stanton! [cursing]

UPDATE: SEE BELOW FOR THE SIMPLEST WORKAROUND SO FAR!

#2 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Also, this technique can be used to just disable the beat grid as well, which is a bit easier. Just analyze a short file, like 10 secs long, and you get a blank beat grid. You can then use that for all badly analyzed files, using same replacement technique as above. Then just fix the BPM in the db and you're good to go. Down side to that is no looping. Upside is no annoying beat grid that's sitting on your tune incorrectly.

#3 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

I wonder if it's possible to trick the Quickgrid with an extra 'intro' of say, 4 or 8 bars of straight kick drum, would it then hold and keep the grid in place later in the song too? I need to start making notes of the tracks that have the bpm/grid wrong.Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

View PostDarth, on 12 April 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

I wonder if it's possible to trick the Quickgrid with an extra 'intro' of say, 4 or 8 bars of straight kick drum, would it then hold and keep the grid in place later in the song too?

Was actually thinking that too, I'll give it a try...have a feeling it won't work though, as it wouldn't analyse anything under say 30 seconds or something, so reckon it'd go with the longer portion of a tune for setting the BPM/grid. Only one way to find out though!

#5 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Well would you believe it, it works! Added about 18 seconds to the start of the song, and it correctly analyzed it. Good stuff, looks like that'll be the simplest way then, easier to keep track of that, plus all the waveforms are correct.

#6 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostIshfaq, on 12 April 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

Well would you believe it, it works! Added about 18 seconds to the start of the song, and it correctly analyzed it. Good stuff, looks like that'll be the simplest way then, easier to keep track of that, plus all the waveforms are correct.

This is definitely kool ! let's hope this workaround will correct all problem tracks. Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

Just retried it with around 5 seconds of a beat and it still worked [thumbup]

#8 User is offline   v1r00z 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Sorry but i don't understand what is the problem. You have tap button, edit bpm option, shift beat to grid option in there.

#9 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

AFAIR this was more of an issue with older firmwares when you couldn't move or adjust the grid.Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yup, the info in this thread is a year old now and is referring to the first version of the firmware.

#11 User is offline   v1r00z 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postflexinoodle, on 12 April 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

As i replied to you earlier in another thread

http://forum.gibson....ues-co-penguin/
there is a video proving that BPM editing via tap or dial does not work
maybe i bought a damaged scs4dj or something but THEY DO NOT WORK as clearly shown in the video

Ok I see the problem and I will check this on my scs tomorrow because now its in the club.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users