Gibson Brands Forums

Talk me out of it

jrplefty

I've been GASing for a maple acoustic strictly for recording purposes. I played a Taylor 614 today that was nice, but not everything I was looking for. I'm really close to pulling the trigger and acquiring a J200.

Anybody wanna talk me out of it? [blink] :unsure:

#1 Wait 48 hours first. Then on the 47th hour start drinking vodka and you will make the right decision.

#2 Okay what I really do t, is to wait 48 hours, then I look at the guitars I have and conclude I have the best acoustic that Gibson makes(J45) and the best electric that Fender makes (JB signature) , so do I really need to buy again? Not really.

To get G.A.S. out of my system, I buy an inexpensive guitar, upgrade the nut, bridge and hardware, set it up completely, play it for a few days, then give it away as a gift. In fact I have a Placid Blue Fender Sonoran S showing up in a couple days (60 bucks) and that's exactly what I am going to do and then give it my friend's 10 year who is learning guitar.

Or you can go back to #1

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Hmmm... I tryied to talk myself out of the second one the first day I walked into a store.. after that it was 1 a week for 4 years.. those were just New ones.. the Vintage ones were not among those..

Its a Nasty habit.. :rolleyes:

Good Luck on your Quest... J200s are Nice..

To get G.A.S. out of my system, I buy an inexpensive guitar, upgrade the nut, bridge and hardware, set it up completely, play it for a few days, then give it away as a gift. In fact I have a Placid Blue Fender Sonoran S showing up in a couple days (60 bucks) and that's exactly what I am going to do and then give it my friend's 10 year who is learning guitar.

That is exactly how I handle GAS although most of the ones I give away I get as freebies so am just out whatever cash I have to lay out on parts. After putting in the time and sweat to get them into the best possible playing considition though, sometimes it is still kinda sad to see them go.

That is exactly how I handle GAS although most of the ones I give away I get as freebies so am just out whatever cash I have to lay out on parts. After putting in the time and sweat to get them into the best possible playing considition though, sometimes it is still kinda sad to see them go.

never got a freebie guitar in my life ! how do i get myself into that position ? :-)

For recording purposes i would highly suggest a J-185, but I think you should get the 200 as well :)

JM

Haha, a brillant funny from JM. Reading my mind like a book! Though I was thinking of talking you out of the 200 as an intro with the 185 as the punchline instead. JM clearly knows how to sell as well as repair!

For recording purposes i would highly suggest a J-185, but I think you should get the 200 as well :)

JM

Jeremy,

I'm curious as to your thoughts on the advantages of the J-185 as opposed to the 200 for recording. I welcome your thoughts on this.

Thanks for chiming in

Jeremy

I've been GASing for a maple acoustic strictly for recording purposes. I played a Taylor 614 today that was nice, but not everything I was looking for. I'm really close to pulling the trigger and acquiring a J200.

Anybody wanna talk me out of it? [blink] :unsure:

I have a J-200. I love the way it sounds when I'm playing it. In the studio it's a little boomy, we roll off the low end a little bit. I bought the guitar because I like to hear the bass. You could probably find a more "balanced" guitar for strictly recording purposes. J-200s are a blast to play. There, that's my attempt to talk you out of it. [smile]

Archived