Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Birthday, Whammy

Cruznolfart

"On this day (April 10) in 1956, innovative guitar builder Leo Fender was awarded the patent for a "Tremolo Device for Stringed Instruments," commonly known as the "whammy bar." The device was misnamed — it's more accurately a vibrato bar (tremolo is a "wavering effect in a musical tone, produced by rapid reiteration of a note, by rapid repeated variation in the pitch of a note," according to the dictionary) — but that didn't stop musicians from using it in a variety of ways to create new sounds and techniques. The bar was introduced with Fender's Stratocaster, which was invented a couple of years earlier"

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-3265-this_date_in_music_history_april_10.html

Guest farnsbarns

Is Tremolo not an oscillation of amplitude (volume) rather than pitch? Vibrato is the oscillation of pitch, hence why the correct term would be "Vibrato Device for Stringed Instruments".

-Ryan

Yep, I was thinking that. That's what you get from internet dictionaries, incorrect definitions, big problem.

Guest farnsbarns

Good point. The article cites "the dictionary" without specificity.

That's journalist's for you, they just rehash and regurgitate the erroneous, superficial ramblings of an equally idiotic forerunner. its all part of general dumbing down of society. As communications become more efficient, reporting of events becomes more relevant, and therefore more profitable. The problem comes with the profit, you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to maximize profit. Over time this causes more people to accept being the lowest common denominator as the norm.

Question everything, believe nothing.

That's journalist's for you, they just rehash and regurgitate the erroneous, superficial ramblings of an equally idiotic forerunner. its all part of general dumbing down of society. As communications become more efficient, reporting of events becomes more relevant, and therefore more profitable. The problem comes with the profit, you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to maximize profit. Over time this causes more people to accept being the lowest common denominator as the norm.

Happy b-day Whammy.

Guest farnsbarns

Actually, Bigsby was 10 years ahead. So happy birthday Leo Fenders inferior, cheap version of the whammy!

Re my above post, it occurs to me that I have generalized about journalists without prequalifying the statement as a generalization. My apologies to Milo, and any other journalists on here. You can't all be bad.

Is Tremolo not an oscillation of amplitude (volume) rather than pitch? Vibrato is the oscillation of pitch, hence why the correct term would be "Vibrato Device for Stringed Instruments".

-Ryan

This, and...

... unfortunately, this.

Actually, Bigsby was 10 years ahead. So happy birthday Leo Fenders inferior, cheap version of the whammy!

Re my above post, it occurs to me that I have generalized about journalists without prequalifying the statement as a generalization. My apologies to Milo, and any other journalists on here. You can't all be bad.

True on first and last points. I'll disagree on the Fender system being inferior, though it is certainly different. I like both, have both, and am glad both are options.

Now, off to uncase a "whammified" Strat (the Eric Clapton model is currently out in the rack), and do a few "whammy bar dives" in honor of the anniversary of the patent! Maybe try to play Apache in the style of Hank, holding and using the vibrato bar throughout.

I'd like to point out that without that "Inferior, cheap version of the whammy", the Floyd Rose (EVH, Vai, Satch, Dimebag) and the Super Vee (Eric Johnson) probably never would have come into existence. The players I mentioned would never be as iconic as they are now, without that "inferior" whammy.

And don't make me say it....Hendrix.

-Ryan

I'd like to point out that without that "Inferior, cheap version of the whammy", the Floyd Rose (EVH, Vai, Satch, Dimebag) and the Super Vee (Eric Johnson) probably never would have come into existence. The players I mentioned would never be as iconic as they are now, without that "inferior" whammy.

And don't make me say it....Hendrix.

-Ryan

But Floyd Rose's can cost more then a Bigsby...well the good ones. (made in germany)

Having a Floyd Rose on my first guitar cured me of having any kind of whammy bars for a long time. "Cutting the balls off" the strings was a real pain in the arse, as was all the miniscule adjustments that also went along with changing the strings. I would like to get me an SG with a tremelo though! [drool]

Having a Floyd Rose on my first guitar cured me of having any kind of whammy bars for a long time. "Cutting the balls off" the strings was a real pain in the arse, as was all the miniscule adjustments that also went along with changing the strings. I would like to get me an SG with a tremelo though! [drool]

There's something inherently wrong with cutting the balls off of anything.

neutered.jpg

Archived