Gibson Brands Forums

Late 1930s/early 1940s Gibson. Please identify

wopoq

Hi Gibson Forum,

My friend has asked me to identify a guitar he has lying around, here are some pictures.

557642_10150641414716576_508326575_9738405_349753292_n.jpg

540612_10150641417246576_508326575_9738411_78362917_n.jpg

I ask on your kindness and knowledge to help and identify this guitar. I've asked my friend to look for a FON on the outside, and inside the f-holes but he says he can't see any. I've done some google searching and the closest match is an L-50, but has motable differences (pickguard, fret inlays, logo font etc.) so it can't be that, but it's obviously an L series. Thanks to any repliers, my friend, Andy Jones, would really appreciate this.

Not sure what to make of the unusual "Gibson" head inlay, but the guitar appears to be a "Recording King" model M5, which was made by Gibson but marketed by Montgomery Ward. A web search should provide you plenty of details.

Another possibility is a Gibson-made instrument distributed in the UK by Francis Day & Hunter (the "FDH" model).

One of our members, Paul Fox, has a webpage devoted to the subject: http://www.fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.html

I'm sure Paul will come along soon to help clarify this for you.

GibsonFDH.jpg

I've never seen one of these in person, but this FDH looks like the same guitar. Good photo, but I can't quite make out what is inlaid on the headstock. I never thought that these guitars that Gibson made for other companies ever had "Gibson" inlaid on the head, but I learn something every day around here.

Not sure what to make of the unusual "Gibson" head inlay, but the guitar appears to be a "Recording King" model M5, which was made by Gibson but marketed by Montgomery Ward. A web search should provide you plenty of details.

Another possibility is a Gibson-made instrument distributed in the UK by Francis Day & Hunter (the "FDH" model).

One of our members, Paul Fox, has a webpage devoted to the subject: http://www.fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.html

I'm sure Paul will come along soon to help clarify this for you.

Way to go Jim. It is a FDH Special. This was the only Gibson-made brand to carry the Gibson name on the peghead. As Jim mentioned, it was made for a large UK-based Gibson dealer called Francis, Day & Hunter between 1937-1940. There were only 123 of these made, so it is a fairly rare guitar. Steve Howe of Yes plays one. Any possibilities of sending me some higher quality pix? Email: info@fox-guitars.com Thanks

There were only 123 of these made, so it is a fairly rare guitar.

Wow, I'd say that's pretty rare indeed, especially since many of them may not have survived the past 70 years.

Great looking guitars, by the way. [thumbup]

Archived