Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers guitars were jacked!

charlie brown

Totally sucks! I like that they offered a reward and no questions asked. They just want their instruments back

They're touring in a few weeks, so that could be why the reward is so high. Some of the guitars were rather expensive vintage instruments as well. I hope they turn up. The serial numbers have been printed so people can make sure they aren't buying the stolen instruments.

Yeah, but what really bothers me, even beyond the actual theft, is that it was

in a studio/rehearsal complex, used by other "musicians!" I hate to think, that

other musicians, would steal someone else's gear...Famous, or not! But, it

happens, all too often, seemingly. :angry:

CB

CB

I think I remember hearing a while back that some people from this forum have had pedals stolen at gigs before

I can imagine that the guys must be devastated over this,I felt bad enough when I had my El Cheapo guitar,that I bought to take on camping trips,stolen,so I can well imagine what they're going through.If there is an upside to this it's that no pawnshop owner in the U.S. would be crazy and/or stupid enough to take in one of these guitars-certainly not for sale anyway,although they may take it for their own use but they'd have to make sure that absolutely nobody would know about it,which would be practically impossible.The thieves have only 2 options and these are to give the guitars back or dispose of them without a trace,which would mean that all their trouble was for nought,and that would be a sinful waste of some beautiful irreplaceable instruments.

I think I remember hearing a while back that some people from this forum have had pedals stolen at gigs before

I had a '61 RI SG stolen after rehearsals once. And I was careful. I left it with three guys who were in the same band as me at the time. They obviously weren't paying attention. It was my first Gibson too... I got myself a LP to replace it a few weeks later though.

CB

CB, there are a lot of scumbags that play music too. I've shared studio space with other bands that had no regard for other people's property. I've come in to find my amps have been played (and left on standby!!), my guitar neck bowed because they decided to paint in the room and turned the heat on high all night to help the paint dry. I wasn't one who had been stollen from but I have known people who's gear was taken by other bands. That sucks for Tom & The Heartbreakers really bad - I hope they get their guitars back.

For some reason I'm thinking there is more to this story than meets the eye. Maybe Tom and The Band are so much in debt that they got their instruments repossessed. With the economy being the way it is and people loosing their houses, not finding work, I don't exactly feel like it's the end of the world for Petty and the 'Breakers. The rule of thumb is to always live within your means.

Some of you guys smoke waaaaaaay too much weed. [blush]

Easy killer....

I am a AVID friend of Mary's and even I disagree with the conspiracy theory getting bandied about.

[flapper]

Fan or no, as musicians you should all feel some compassion here, and if you were ever a victim of such Vagrant Douchbaggery you know how it feels.

the closest I can compare it to is having a part of your soul ripped out. (had a 78' Ric Bass stolen in 95').

I hope at the least they get the gear back.

Well, if you've ever had the tools, of your livelihood, stolen, you'll sympathize,

with TP.

Though, I've never had any guitars lost, to theft, I have had my camera, and

lighting gear, stolen...to the cost of 40 Grand, to replace it! So, I have

NO PATIENCE, or sympathy, with "Thieves!!" Period! [cursing] My only solace, is that

"What goes around, comes around," and in the case of "negative" things...usually 3

times a bad. So, the thieves Will get their's, eventually!

CB

CB, there are a lot of scumbags that play music too. I've shared studio space with other bands that had no regard for other people's property. I've come in to find my amps have been played (and left on standby!!), my guitar neck bowed because they decided to paint in the room and turned the heat on high all night to help the paint dry. I wasn't one who had beenstolenn from but I have known people who's gear was taken by other bands. That sucks for Tom & The Heartbreakers really bad - I hope they get their guitars back.

Oh, I know cabba....I just HATE to see it happen, to anyone. Famous, or not! [crying][cursing]

I'll leave it, at that, so as not to get off on a real Rant! [tongue]

CB

I can imagine that the guys must be devastated over this,I felt bad enough when I had my El Cheapo guitar,that I bought to take on camping trips,stolen,so I can well imagine what they're going through.If there is an upside to this it's that no pawnshop owner in the U.S. would be crazy and/or stupid enough to take in one of these guitars-certainly not for sale anyway,although they may take it for their own use but they'd have to make sure that absolutely nobody would know about it,which would be practically impossible.The thieves have only 2 options and these are to give the guitars back or dispose of them without a trace,which would mean that all their trouble was for nought,and that would be a sinful waste of some beautiful irreplaceable instruments.

Kind of my thoughts when I first heard of this. Who in their right mind would buy one of these, and as for the "no one ever finding out", well, the thieves know who they sold to. I've gotta believe that at some point Karma takes over.

I certainly hope that Tom & all get their stuff back. Tom's personal '67 Rick 360/12???...wow!

I've always said Mike Campbell needs a museum curator more than a guitar tech. Instruments like that shouldn't be left lying around in the studio, they should be in a secure location when not in use. Would you leave a $30,000 bundle of bills laying around a "Southern California Sound Stage"?

From what I understand is that most of these facilities have state of the art security systems which makes it all more likely that it was an "inside job" not necessarily involving an employee or employees of the studio but someone who probably had business in the building and saw the opportunity to pinch some vintage gear and took advantage of the situation probably on a split second impulse,probably not even having a clue who the gear belonged to.I imagine if that's the case,the fools who did it are nervous wrecks by now,knowing that every person remotely related to the music business is on the lookout for these guitars and they must feel that the world is closing in on them.Serves them right if they get ulcers from the worry this must be causing them by now.

Archived