Gibson Brands Forums

Which one?

Matt the Cat

At some point soon-ish I'm gonna treat myself to a Gibson acoustic. Ever since I was a wee lad I've longed for a Hummingbird. The beauty of them just scream cool/rock n roll. (Saw a pic of Keef Richards with one on the sleeve of a Stones album)

Anyway, since then I've acquired an Epi H'bird to satisfy my eyes at least, but also looked at and liked Doves and Songwriter Deluxe's (preferably in sunburst).

So now I'm getting closer to a point where I'm gonna get one, question is, which one?

I know a lot of people are gonna say try them side by side, see what works for me etc etc. That's fair enough and what I will do, but I just wanted to get some of the gut reactions about them, the thoughts about them that people don't get from playing them. What do you prefer, what would you be drawn to?

Just thought it'd be interesting to get peoples thoughts.........

Cheers, Matt

Considering that the Hummingbird has a Mahogany body, the SWD a Rosewood body, and the Dove a Maple body It's kind of unfair to compare them.

When I bought my SWD I actualy intended on getting a Hummingbird but just liked the SWD tone a little better. The SWD is a great little all purpose guitar. If you contomplate The J-45 at all, I would go with the J-45 True Vintage. My J-45TV is "Hands Down" the best acoustic I've ever owned.

I'm in a bit of a similar boat... I guess the GAS started with the SJ-200, but since my playing has "improved" *cough*, I've found my wants a' changing. I still love them, but I'm only a wee lad, and have found a smaller body suits my style better, so am heading more down the J45 (rw/hog?!? Who knows!) or 'bird avenue.... Whichever you choose, go with your heart else you'll regret it I reckon.

Forgive me for saying, but for all the talk of bracing and pins, i'd still recommend you go for the one you purr over, and love the look and feel of. The science behind the sounds and its specifics is all well and true-but ultimately its a Gibson, the kudos and cool will follow you regardless, and you'll still end up with a great guitar that many, many other folks will want-but most importantly, Just make sure it is what you want...

I hope my non-technical view in this instance is not offensive to others by the way, the information I've learnt from here in a short time is staggering but I believe that the love of a look is a strong enough reason to buy one!!

I'm in a bit of a similar boat... I guess the GAS started with the SJ-200' date=' but since my playing has "improved" *cough*, I've found my wants a' changing. I still love them, but I'm only a wee lad, and have found a smaller body suits my style better, so am heading more down the J45 (rw/hog?!? Who knows!) or 'bird avenue.... Whichever you choose, go with your heart else you'll regret it I reckon.

[/quote']

Mahogany all the way...

I personally prefer mahogany...

Considering that the Hummingbird has a Mahogany body' date=' the SWD a Rosewood body, and the Dove a Maple body It's kind of unfair to compare them.

When I bought my SWD I actually intended on getting a Hummingbird but just liked the SWD tone a little better. [/quote']

I had exactly the same experience. A/B tested a Hummingbird and SWD and had my teacher play both as well whilst I listened. The SWD was far more articulate and assertive. But that was juat an opinion on 2 particular guitars.

Also it really depends what you want it for. I needed an all-rounder for band and solo gigs as well as home practice. I'm really happy with mine.

I've not played many others though. My teacher has a square shouldered J45 or 50 (not too sure sorry) which is quite simply the best acoustic I've heard.

BTW if you're in striking distance of Coda Music in Stevenage or Luton, have a look in there. The have a good range particularly in Stevenage.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mahogany all the way...

I personally prefer mahogany...

Cheers for the advice... I don't wanna hijack 'the cat's thread' date=' but one day its rosewood I like, the next its hog, I just never know! I guess the soluiton is to buy one of each =P~

Back on topic - Guitar Village has a good selection of Gibson Acoustics (Farnham, about 30mins south west on London town)... and in terms of appeal - I've always thought the 'bird has a uniqueness about it, people are always drawn to them as they're [i']"reeeal purdy"....[/i]

I'm a happy Hummingbird owner...... let me just say that there's a reason why Keith has been quoted as saying that he doesn't know why anyone would need another type of acoustic.

I've played my Hummingbird, a J45, a Songwriter & a songwriter deluxe, a SJ 200, a Martin D28, Martin D45, Along with some various Taylor's, Ovations, Takamine's, Breedlove's, Parkwoods', etc. all the day I bought my Bird...... The other Gibson's blew away the sound in the other's with the Breedlove's coming closest.

Likewise, again to my ears, the Hummingbird equally blew away the other Gibsons. The Songwriter is a heck of a guitar! The J45 has a thick booming sound and can be as bluesy as you want it to be, the SJ 200..... what can I say, I was strongly leaning toward this one towards then end.

There has been a ton of great Rock-N-Roll played on the 200. It was Elvis' guitar. Jeff Beck used it on his version of Greensleeves for that reason. The Who would have been the who are they, had it not been for Townsend's writing on the 200, Joe Perry has a gorgeous custom model he plays, Jimmy Page used one to play Black Mountainside acoustically in an early TV appearance. Jon Bon Jovi has written one them, One of my Blues heroes, the Reverend Gary Davis played one, Buddy Guy has played one over the years.....they are versatile, sound incredible, and with me being 6'5" 220, I didn't dwarf it like some guitars, I had effectively convinced myself to buy one.

But, I had to be true to my ears if I were going to call myself a guitar player and not just a collector, therefore, again I am a Happy Hummingbird owner.

not to be a jerk who throws in a monkey wrench...but i will be regardless...

i recently bought an '01 L-00...its not as loud as a bird or j-45 or sj-200 and the bass isnt as deep but on the whole its is a very very competent guitar.

i forgot who but another board member even said that the sounds you get out of a smaller body gibson cannot be duplicated in the larger ones...and i tend to agree...i initially wanted an LG-2 arlo guthrie model...because if it was good enough for him...and woody got it for him...who am i to argue with one of the architects of american folk music...i ended up with the L-00 because it offered a bit more versatility than the LG-2.

if you have never messed around with one i recommend just checking them out to see if something as left field as a smaller body would really strike your fancy...sometimes i find that when i go out looking for something specifically i always end up getting something i never thought i would like...aka L-00.

now for the monkey-wrench...

hear me out...

2 words...Epiphone Texan...

you can find one in the $1800-$2700 range...and lets be honest...if Paul McCartney loves it so much can it really be that bad?

he wrote "Yesterday" on the freaking thing for God's sakes...

a couple of caveats...unless you wanna spend like $4-7 thousand on a smaller run American Made Epiphone Texan...the Japanese Elitist Shop made Epi...(the $1,800-$2700 one) is just as good...

but like i said before i know this is a long shot...

if i didnt get such a great deal on my L-00 ($1000) the Texan would have been it for me...in fact...who knows...i might get one just for fun!

but just giving you something to think about...

My wife let me by myself a Hummingbird TV for my birthday last month. I am now a Believer. So open and balanced. So good to look at and play. This could become my favorite guitar.

I would strongly advise you follow your first instinct and find a Hummingbird to love. I can't believe I went so long without one.

no unfortunately she does not...in that same price range though i am sure you can get your hands on a good Vintage b15 or b25...very clean and 40+ years old...but the price was too good for me to turn her down!

i got lucky it was an older man who bought the guitar years ago and only played it for a while (6 months or so) before it went back in its case and waited 7 years for me to find it!

i know a lot of people say that they only played their guitar for a bit and put it back in its case but this thing was undeniably played in such a fashion...it looked and smelled *weird i know* brand new...I couldnt be happier

"Cheers for the advice... I don't wanna hijack 'the cat's thread, but one day its rosewood I like, the next its hog, I just never know! I guess the soluiton is to buy one of each "

I've got a short scale AJ, RW & a J-45 hog. If I could only have 1 guitar it would be these 2.

I will also be one to advise you to let your ears and hands decide. Play many and at least one will speak to you in a way that you will know it is what you have been searching for......

That said, you owe it to yourself to also try the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Don't know if you can find one in your neck of the woods, but in my opinion, they are one of the best Gibby's money can buy. Rosewood with Spruce top is a match made in heaven. Here is what they look like if you haven't seen one....

BoneCrusher.jpg

PICT2830.jpg

That said, you owe it to yourself to also try the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Don't know if you can find one in your neck of the woods, but in my opinion, they are one of the best Gibby's money can buy. Rosewood with Spruce top is a match made in heaven. Here is what they look like if you haven't seen one....

I think I would have to 2nd that!!=P~

One thing I have noticed is the lack of love for Doves. There seems to be lots of mentions of SWDs and loads of love for H'birds but the Dove has got little mention. People not like it as much or what? It was good enough for Elvis and the guitar of choice for KT Tunstall so where's the love for the Dove?

It isn't always a great idea to go to the shop with a specific idea in mind like "I want a J45" because fixation can cause you to miss a better guitar.

I was recently at my local Gibson dealer's looking for a modern issue Hummingbird because I have had an unbelievable offer for my '77 that would allow me to purchase the new one and still have cash. The bird at my local shop was a total dud - so heavy in the bass, with thick overall tone.

While I was there, I played a group of guitars that included an exceptional D-18V from Martin that was actually $300 less than the bird. If I was out buying a guitar without a specific fixation (replacing the bird I will sell with a new bird) there was no reason to put the Martin back on the rack because it was a premium instrument.

There is no reason to limit yourself to any specific brand or model. Indeed, the advice you mentioned yourself is the best advice - play a lot of guitars and buy the one that speaks to you, your style of music and your style of playing. Take another player with you so you can hear the guitars out front as well as from behind and if you are a singer, sing a song with the guitars and have your friend help you pick the one that best blends with your voice.

go for the Bird. If you've long listed after one, find a good one and you won't be disappointed. Mine is exceptional, and is my main stage and recording guitar, although I tend to write more with my SJ200.

Do try a Dove, too, though. They are delicious to behold and have a little more "clang, boom and steam", to paraphrase Tom Waits, about their tone than the Bird. As everyone says, go to the stores with an open mind and enjoy the hunt!

Thanks ballcorner, good points. I have owned/played other guitars of less and equal value/quality and keep coming back to Gibson! They just have that special vibe/soul/cool that I think is an un-quantifiable part of choosing a guitar. Sure the sound/playability/build quality etc etc is really important but you have to feel like you rule the world by having it and playing it! Does that make sense? I had a Taylor 315 which was a lovely guitar. Sounded great, played great, was built superbly but just lacked the wow factor that makes you tingle! Know what I mean?

Matt

. . . just lacked the wow factor that makes you tingle! Know what I mean?

Indeed, I own a good number of guitars (34) and have several with the wow factor. The funny thing is, though, that I always reach for the same two guitars - a Martin OM-21 and a Gibson Advanced Jumbo.

Certainly, if you can find a good bird they are beautiful guitars. Unfortunately, my Gibson dealer is getting the duds this past year and when they don't sell it delays the arrival of a potentially good one, so my advice is to be patient.

Happy hunting.

Archived