Gibson Brands Forums

ebm4 schematics

brianfrederiks

hello y'all

does anyone know where i can get schematics for my ebm-4 which i recently pulled out of my addict and dusted of.

a decade ago i replaced the electrics with some passive seymour duncans but i want to restore it in its original setup. since they are becoming very rare...

also want to start slappin' an active bass again.

i still have the electric preamp board, just need the schematics so i can fix it again, and know which pots to buy.

many thanks and greetz from holland..

Hi, Brian.

I dont have schematics for the EBM, but I can take some pics of the wiring if that will help. I may already have some pics. I'll have to see if I can find them.

One thing about the EBM though, is that the potentiometers in them were very VERY bad. I've had several of them over the years and it is one trait that they all have in common. They are very prone to scratching and popping. They need constant maintenence in terms of cleaning. Switching out the active electronics for passive is quite common with this model. The pickups arent really all that swell either, but they arent terrible. To me, they seem to lack a lot of mids. But I can understand you wanting to get it back to its original state. Yes they are becoming more rare and the prices for them have been slowly but steadily increasing over the past four or five years ever since the EM2 Prophecy was released.

I'll check my picture files and see if the cavity pics I have will be useful. If not, I will take some new ones for you.

Cheers!

No reply? I'm will to get these pics together, but I'm not going to go through the trouble without a response. Its really a matter of knowing where to resolder the old wiring. Actual schematics are probably unnecessary. You just have to know where the 3 wires to the input jack go, where the pickup wires go and which pins to plug into on the preamp.

No reply? I'm will to get these pics together, but I'm not going to go through the trouble without a response. Its really a matter of knowing where to resolder the old wiring. Actual schematics are probably unnecessary. You just have to know where the 3 wires to the input jack go, where the pickup wires go and which pins to plug into on the preamp.

hello folks, sorry 4 the wait, been off on holiday.

i would appreciate the pic's very much. also i agree about the pot's. had them replaced in the 90's allready :) so i have to know what kind of pot's were in originally so i can replace them.

like i said, haven't been using it for over a decade. switched to vintage hagstrom's but always kinda missed it's sound. has that nice punch that among others; flea allways had when the peppers were still cool ;) and also, like my Hag's, it has the fastest neck ever made.

so again: info about what kind of pots and where the wire's go would be much apreciated so i can restore it into it's original condition. had some seymour ducans inthere but allways found that that vintage passive sound didn't suit it since i was used to it being active.

just want to start slappin' it again...

greetings from holland.

Hey, Brian! Glad you responded! I wasnt sure if you were coming back. I'll get some pics together this weekend for you and post them here.

The poteniometers are soldered directly to the preamp on these. Kind of a pain to deal with, and liike I said, they werent very good pots. I'll give you the specs on the pots as well, but I suggest looking into something a little higher quality for a replacement.

I'll get some pics together and have them up later tonight or tomorrow.

Hey, Brian! Glad you responded! I wasnt sure if you were coming back. I'll get some pics together this weekend for you and post them here.

The poteniometers are soldered directly to the preamp on these. Kind of a pain to deal with, and liike I said, they werent very good pots. I'll give you the specs on the pots as well, but I suggest looking into something a little higher quality for a replacement.

I'll get some pics together and have them up later tonight or tomorrow.

tnx bro!!! will be waiting.

indeed, was thinking about higher quality pots. i also need a new lady-jack (that's a jack-input in holland) but that isn't a problem.

i just hope the preamp still works...

fingers crossed

Brian.

tnx bro!!! will be waiting.

indeed, was thinking about higher quality pots. i also need a new lady-jack (that's a jack-input in holland) but that isn't a problem.

i just hope the preamp still works...

fingers crossed

Brian.

Sorry I havent been able to get the pics up yet. I've been hella busy. I have this weekend all to myself, as the wife & kids will be gone until Sunday. I will get them up by then for sure.

i hear yah.... have 2 little monkeys and a misses myself...

no worries, its been up there for the last decade, can still wait somewhat longer...

Ok, sorry for the delay. Apparently, my EBMs are wired differently and I had to sort them out to make sure I did this right. When I bought my first EBM, it had to be sent in for repair after a week. Whomever did the work decided to bypass some of the pins and went direct to the jack from the battery, as well they wired the bridge pickup to pins 6 & 7 instead of pins 7 & 8 for some reason. Heh. that waslike twenty years ago and it worked fine regardless.

So, you are looking at the improperly wired EBM, but I labeled everything for the proper wiring. I did this because it is easier to see everything in this cavity than it is to see in my other EBM. You'll notice that the 5-pin jack has two empty pins, but I have them labeled to their proper locations. It seems that you can bypass pins 3 & 4 and wire directly to the input jack, like the wiring shown in the pic. But I labeled correctly so you can hook it up properly. Also, I'm not sure if this has something to do with why the bridge pickup was conncted to 6 & 7 or not. My drummer did a rewire for me and put them back on 7 & 8 recently, and it seems to work fine that way as well.

Both of the pin clusters are supposed to have clip-on connectors that the wires are soldered to. For reasons unknown to me, the repair tech ditched them and soldered directly to the pins.

I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions or cant make something out in the pic, let me know and I'll do my best to help. Also, please download the pic and save to your computer. I'm going to remove it after a week or so because it is rather large and I have limited bandwidth, as I host it on my personal webserver. Thanks.

EBMwiring.jpg

thanks bro!!!

this will surely get me started. pic is downloaded so you can remove it. i can guess why they removed the clip-on connectors. it's frikkin' impossible to solder the wires on to them, so much much easier to solder directly to the pins....

anywho will start working on it as soon as possible, hopin everything still works (incl pots).

will let you know when i get it up and running again....

again thanks for the pic (incl labels!!) and info!!

Brian

• 2 years later...

+1 Rob [thumbup]

just wondering if anyone out there in cyberspace and a schematic for an epiphone EBM-5 ( 5 string) mine works but has extremely low volume unless all the tonal knobs are at max ( of course to really here it good the volume knob needs maxxed out to. my only option at this point with no schem is to make a list of parts on the board ( resister, caps, etc. and their specs and replace every electrical component.

hello y'all

does anyone know where i can get schematics for my ebm-4 which i recently pulled out of my addict and dusted of.

a decade ago i replaced the electrics with some passive seymour duncans but i want to restore it in its original setup. since they are becoming very rare...

also want to start slappin' an active bass again.

i still have the electric preamp board, just need the schematics so i can fix it again, and know which pots to buy.

many thanks and greetz from holland..

sadly I found out recently a schematic doesn't exsist online anywhere nor does epiphone have one, with that being said best thing you can do is look at the components and replace them with new ones of same value. the hardest parts to get will be new pots because they will have to be ordered from china or Thailand ( assuming you plan on replacing them with the same thing which is 3 X Alpha B100k center detent and 1x Alpha B100k NON detent linear taper pcb mount type) because I have found no one that stocks them. also it is important to note that all of the 50V 4.7uf electrolytics are Bi-polar NON polarized.

as long as all of the jumpers, resistors and film/ceramic capacitors and the single diode are still on the board it shouldn't be to much trouble.

exactly what parts do you need to know besides pots which I mentioned above,

thanks bro!!!

this will surely get me started. pic is downloaded so you can remove it. i can guess why they removed the clip-on connectors. it's frikkin' impossible to solder the wires on to them, so much much easier to solder directly to the pins....

anywho will start working on it as soon as possible, hopin everything still works (incl pots).

will let you know when i get it up and running again....

again thanks for the pic (incl labels!!) and info!!

Brian

LOL the plugs on my EBM-5 are still intact, I couldn't imagine not having them :D

Archived