• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Headstock clip-on tuners

#1 User is offline   bobby b 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Just an observation, but I notice that my HB sounds just a wee bit 'choked' if I leave my Snark tuner clipped on at the headstock. As soon as I remove it, the sound def. gets better.....louder with more depth and sustain.
There is quite a bit of vibes that carry through the neck and headstock when I play (which I love) and I feel that adding the mass of the tuner to the headstock has a negative overall affect on the guitars response.

Anyone else notice this...?
2011 Hummingbird TV 'VOS'
1989 Les Paul Standard
1995 Fender Telecaster
1974 Yamaki 135
1971 Yamaki Folk Deluxe
1980 Fender FJ70 Jumbo
1984 Takamine F360S
1979 Fender F15 ( my first acoustic, bought new in 1980 )

#2 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I don't ever leave the tuner clipped on my guitars if I'm playing so I couldn't say.

#3 User is offline   onewilyfool 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I acquired this tuner, fits right under the headstock, very light, doesn't rattle, and I leave it on one guitar all the time. VERY accurate. I still prefer my Snark, which I take off after tuning.

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_MI_img_b
"The sole of my shoes is thin, and I'll soon be on my feet again" Lonnie Johnson

#4 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

• Outta Here

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

The headstock does contribute to tone in an acoustic guitar. The wood there and the little short lengths of string between post and nut add a very high pitched frequency to the overall sound. Want to hear it? Bang an open E chord hard and mute it quickly and completely with your pick hand.......hear that little ringing tone that remains? Thats the sound of the strings between post and nut. Lay your finger across the strings at the headstock and the singing stops. Try it. Headstocks do contribute to the overall tone though the contribution is hardly discernable from the rest of what the top is pumping out.

#5 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think that has something to do with the balance between the Snark tuner on the headstock and the three piece bridge Bobby .. [rolleyes]

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 69' Gibson Hummingbird, 11' HB TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#6 User is offline   bobby b 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostEuroAussie, on 19 April 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think that has something to do with the balance between the Snark tuner on the headstock and the three piece bridge Bobby .. [rolleyes]

Bwahahahaha......
1989 Les Paul Standard
1995 Fender Telecaster
1974 Yamaki 135
1971 Yamaki Folk Deluxe
1980 Fender FJ70 Jumbo
1984 Takamine F360S

#7 User is offline   bobby b 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 19 April 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

The headstock does contribute to tone in an acoustic guitar. The wood there and the little short lengths of string between post and nut add a very high pitched frequency to the overall sound. Want to hear it? Bang an open E chord hard and mute it quickly and completely with your pick hand.......hear that little ringing tone that remains? Thats the sound of the strings between post and nut. Lay your finger across the strings at the headstock and the singing stops. Try it. Headstocks do contribute to the overall tone though the contribution is hardly discernable from the rest of what the top is pumping out.

Yes Buc, on this particular guitar the 'ringing' above the headstock is quite noticeable and IMO adds a pleasant element to the complete sound.
1989 Les Paul Standard
1995 Fender Telecaster
1974 Yamaki 135
1971 Yamaki Folk Deluxe
1980 Fender FJ70 Jumbo
1984 Takamine F360S

#8 User is offline   onewilyfool 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Whenever I leave one of the larger clip-on tuners on the headstock, I always hear or feel them vibrating, even the Snark. Thats why I like the Planet waves one, for a leave on tuner.....no weight, no vibration......and very accurate+
"The sole of my shoes is thin, and I'll soon be on my feet again" Lonnie Johnson

#9 User is offline   Madman_Greg 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

You are effectively adding an additional mass to the system

An additonal mass could have a damping effect it definitely changes the overall system and could have some impact on the way different frequencies behave / react etc....

A guitar is a very complex system with the overall system reacting to vibrations across the frequency spectrum so it is entirely feasible this could happen

Sorry if this sounds a bit scientific, but its the only way I write it really without getting ultra complex.

Personally I do not own a clip on tuner, my tuners are clipped on the side my head so cannot really comment
Madman Greg

#10 User is offline   ponty 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBermuda - formally West Yorks UK

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Please be aware!! I have a couple of snark tuner, which by the way are great.
However, recently I forgot to take it off the headstock of my Bart Reiter banjo,
and the consequence was a ugly striped/ ribbed mark caused by the ribbed black rubber on the clip.
Fortunately, with 0000 wire wool, rubbing compound and Virtuoso cleaner, I was able to reduce the
the mark by 95%. In certain light and angles a faint mark can still be seen. Don't for get to remove it before
putting your instrument in its case.

#11 User is offline   eltonwce 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have an intellitouch tuner and the instruction said to not leave it on the guitar while playing. I don't know why but it quit working after about a year. Now I use a Pt2900 small and light does not seem to effect sound. Don't leave it on all the time.

#12 User is offline   bobby b 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

View Posteltonwce, on 19 April 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

I have an intellitouch tuner and the instruction said to not leave it on the guitar while playing. I don't know why but it quit working after about a year. Now I use a Pt2900 small and light does not seem to effect sound. Don't leave it on all the time.

Just to clarify, I dont ever leave the tuner clipped on, I was just pointing out the negative affect it had while clipped on.
However, I have seen other players that leave the tuner clipped on while playing, also capo's etc etc.....
1989 Les Paul Standard
1995 Fender Telecaster
1974 Yamaki 135
1971 Yamaki Folk Deluxe
1980 Fender FJ70 Jumbo
1984 Takamine F360S

#13 User is offline   45slinger 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

View Postonewilyfool, on 19 April 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

I acquired this tuner, fits right under the headstock, very light, doesn't rattle, and I leave it on one guitar all the time. VERY accurate. I still prefer my Snark, which I take off after tuning.

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_MI_img_b

I have the same one. Convenient size, really accurate and fits perfectly on an acoustic headstock under the high E tuner.

#14 User is offline   onewilyfool 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

BTW, I just checked out the planet waves tuner, it's been on my guitar for 2 months without moving, and the headstock has no marks,,,,FYI

#15 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

View Postonewilyfool, on 20 April 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

BTW, I just checked out the planet waves tuner, it's been on my guitar for 2 months without moving, and the headstock has no marks,,,,FYI

i can qualify that because i have done exactly the same thing , it's a great little tuner very accurate and doesnt
make your guitar look like it has satellite tv fitted to it , i

#16 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

A tuner should never be sitting on headstock while performing, it looks so ..... crass. Irrespective of what tuner it is. btw: I looove my Snark.

View Postblindboygrunt, on 20 April 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

i can qualify that because i have done exactly the same thing , it's a great little tuner very accurate and doesnt
make your guitar look like it has satellite tv fitted to it , i

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 69' Gibson Hummingbird, 11' HB TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#17 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostEuroAussie, on 21 April 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

A tuner should never be sitting on headstock while performing, it looks so ..... crass. Irrespective of what tuner it is. btw: I looove my Snark.

i agree , the intellitouch i used before this little chappie did nothing in the way of cool , you have to admit though the planet waves one is fairly discreet......

Posted Image[/URL]

#18 User is offline   OldGuitarPlayer 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

I also use a Snark tuner. I never leave it or my capo on the headstock of my acoustic. I keep them both in my jacket pocket when playing live. As for the clip-on tuner I have seen too many of them get broken because the person left it on their headstock and it fell off and snapped. I find those tuners to be a little fragile so I just use it and put it away for safe keeping.
1998 Epiphone AJ-18SCE-NA

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users