Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock clip-on tuners

bobby b

Just an observation, but I notice that my HB sounds just a wee bit 'choked' if I leave my Snark tuner clipped on at the headstock. As soon as I remove it, the sound def. gets better.....louder with more depth and sustain.

There is quite a bit of vibes that carry through the neck and headstock when I play (which I love) and I feel that adding the mass of the tuner to the headstock has a negative overall affect on the guitars response.

Anyone else notice this...?

The headstock does contribute to tone in an acoustic guitar. The wood there and the little short lengths of string between post and nut add a very high pitched frequency to the overall sound. Want to hear it? Bang an open E chord hard and mute it quickly and completely with your pick hand.......hear that little ringing tone that remains? Thats the sound of the strings between post and nut. Lay your finger across the strings at the headstock and the singing stops. Try it. Headstocks do contribute to the overall tone though the contribution is hardly discernable from the rest of what the top is pumping out.

The headstock does contribute to tone in an acoustic guitar. The wood there and the little short lengths of string between post and nut add a very high pitched frequency to the overall sound. Want to hear it? Bang an open E chord hard and mute it quickly and completely with your pick hand.......hear that little ringing tone that remains? Thats the sound of the strings between post and nut. Lay your finger across the strings at the headstock and the singing stops. Try it. Headstocks do contribute to the overall tone though the contribution is hardly discernable from the rest of what the top is pumping out.

Yes Buc, on this particular guitar the 'ringing' above the headstock is quite noticeable and IMO adds a pleasant element to the complete sound.

You are effectively adding an additional mass to the system

An additonal mass could have a damping effect it definitely changes the overall system and could have some impact on the way different frequencies behave / react etc....

A guitar is a very complex system with the overall system reacting to vibrations across the frequency spectrum so it is entirely feasible this could happen

Sorry if this sounds a bit scientific, but its the only way I write it really without getting ultra complex.

Personally I do not own a clip on tuner, my tuners are clipped on the side my head so cannot really comment

Please be aware!! I have a couple of snark tuner, which by the way are great.

However, recently I forgot to take it off the headstock of my Bart Reiter banjo,

and the consequence was a ugly striped/ ribbed mark caused by the ribbed black rubber on the clip.

Fortunately, with 0000 wire wool, rubbing compound and Virtuoso cleaner, I was able to reduce the

the mark by 95%. In certain light and angles a faint mark can still be seen. Don't for get to remove it before

putting your instrument in its case.

I have an intellitouch tuner and the instruction said to not leave it on the guitar while playing. I don't know why but it quit working after about a year. Now I use a Pt2900 small and light does not seem to effect sound. Don't leave it on all the time.

I have an intellitouch tuner and the instruction said to not leave it on the guitar while playing. I don't know why but it quit working after about a year. Now I use a Pt2900 small and light does not seem to effect sound. Don't leave it on all the time.

Just to clarify, I dont ever leave the tuner clipped on, I was just pointing out the negative affect it had while clipped on.

However, I have seen other players that leave the tuner clipped on while playing, also capo's etc etc.....

I acquired this tuner, fits right under the headstock, very light, doesn't rattle, and I leave it on one guitar all the time. VERY accurate. I still prefer my Snark, which I take off after tuning.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CT-12-Headstock-Tuner/dp/B005FKF1PY/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_b

I have the same one. Convenient size, really accurate and fits perfectly on an acoustic headstock under the high E tuner.

BTW, I just checked out the planet waves tuner, it's been on my guitar for 2 months without moving, and the headstock has no marks,,,,FYI

i can qualify that because i have done exactly the same thing , it's a great little tuner very accurate and doesnt

make your guitar look like it has satellite tv fitted to it , i

A tuner should never be sitting on headstock while performing, it looks so ..... crass. Irrespective of what tuner it is. btw: I looove my Snark.

i can qualify that because i have done exactly the same thing , it's a great little tuner very accurate and doesnt

make your guitar look like it has satellite tv fitted to it , i

A tuner should never be sitting on headstock while performing, it looks so ..... crass. Irrespective of what tuner it is. btw: I looove my Snark.

i agree , the intellitouch i used before this little chappie did nothing in the way of cool , you have to admit though the planet waves one is fairly discreet......

R4CDZ8.jpg[/url]

I also use a Snark tuner. I never leave it or my capo on the headstock of my acoustic. I keep them both in my jacket pocket when playing live. As for the clip-on tuner I have seen too many of them get broken because the person left it on their headstock and it fell off and snapped. I find those tuners to be a little fragile so I just use it and put it away for safe keeping.

Archived