Gibson Brands Forums

Lets here some more from The MAN

Rabs

Those pickups...they don't exactly look standard. Neither does the rest of the guitar, mind you. I wonder if anybody makes pickups like that...I know that they were Paul's own design...

They were in the Gibson Les Paul Signature guitar (the gold semi-hollow one). They're low-impedance pickups.

And I am sure no one else makes them!

Those pickups...they don't exactly look standard. Neither does the rest of the guitar, mind you. I wonder if anybody makes pickups like that...I know that they were Paul's own design...

yeah thats the Les Paul Recording..

Image1-7.jpg

The Les Paul Recording Guitar is probably the best known of all of Gibson's Low Impedance models and was produced in the greatest numbers. It was introduced in 1971/72 as a replacement for the ailing Personal and Professional models. The first version (top picture) was produced from 1971 until 1977. The second version with a slightly altered layout was produced from 1977/79. The main difference between the Personal/Professional models and the Recordings is that an Impedance Transformer was built in to the body. However, this did not alter the fact that these guitars still performed at their best when plugged into a mixing desk at Low Impedance setting or, when used with an Amplifier, with a suitable Impedance Matching Transformer at the amplifier end of the connecting lead.

Features:

2 angled Low Impedance Stacked Humbucking Pickups

Bound rosewood fingerboard with small block markers

Bound carved top Honduras Mahogany body - Brown, Sunburst or White

Split Diamond inlay on headstock

Grover tuners

Controls for Volume, Treble, Bass, Decade, Microphone Volume, Pickup Selector, Tone Switch and Phase Switch on panel

Black laminated plastic pick guard

Long travel bridge

Chrome plated hardware

Built in impedance matching transformer (switchable Lo / High)

Version two:

Black added to range of finishes

Pickup selector switch moved from the control panel to the more usual placement for Les Pauls

Impedance switch removed and replaced with two socket arrangement on side of body giving separate Low Impedance and High Impedance outputs.

Hey RABSthank you for posting the Les Paul footage he was amazing and luckily continues to be that way because of his recordings.I thought I was up on LP stuff mostly history on his inventions,recording innovations and dam comming up with I think is the most innovative guitar in history IMHO.What I didnt realize was although I knew about his recordings by himself and with his wife for a while Mary Ford the time I had taken to listen to his music didnt amount to more than a few minites something I hadnt noticed.I,m big time impressed with what I saw here and am going out to find more to listen to now that i really discovered his playing,basickly DAM can he play.BTW I believe the low impedience PU,s were used on the killer nice looking L5's and when they didnt hit big because no one was into or the low impedience Pu's Gibson created the L6 with Seth Lover pickups.

Hey RABSthank you for posting the Les Paul footage he was amazing and luckily continues to be that way because of his recordings.I thought I was up on LP stuff mostly history on his inventions,recording innovations and dam comming up with I think is the most innovative guitar in history IMHO.What I didnt realize was although I knew about his recordings by himself and with his wife for a while Mary Ford the time I had taken to listen to his music didnt amount to more than a few minites something I hadnt noticed.I,m big time impressed with what I saw here and am going out to find more to listen to now that i really discovered his playing,basickly DAM can he play.BTW I believe the low impedience PU,s were used on the killer nice looking L5's and when they didnt hit big because no one was into or the low impedience Pu's Gibson created the L6 with Seth Lover pickups.

No worries.. Also every time I find a new bit of footage from Les I am blown away so I like to share and hopefully as you say people seeing it who havnt really listened to him will go and listen to his music and great guitar playing and he is remembered how he should be.. What a man he was a true loss to the world when he went..

Les I hope your rocking up there with Jimi in that eternal jam in the sky ;)

Archived