Gibson Brands Forums

deception school

jefleppard

just saw this on ebay and thought this was a great price for a very nice guitar that is not that old. 3 years by the serial#. but, in his comments he says that there are scratches from the strap on the back. from the pics the marks look more like separation lines from expansion/mishandling/drop of some sort. like the sides are separating from the back. what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-J-180-EC-SPECIAL-CUTAWAY-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ170277972820QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item170277972820&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1307

This looks like a road warrior that was polished with paper towels a few too many times. I am not sure what has caused the finish breaks at the binding, but my guess would be temperature shocks or some bangs against stuff.

A black finish is probably the easiest to repair, so I don't think it is all that bad, but whenever a guitar has taken some knocks the result of the abuse can take a few years to really rear its head. My advice on this one would be if you need a road guitar for gigs maybe consider it - buy it, get it repaired and then wonder if it might have been cheaper to just buy a new one.

But if you want a pretty guitar for the front parlour, I would say pass.

The chips look like either the result of movement between the two pieces or the back is not quite flush with the binding and the strap caught the edge of the finish ripping it off. Looks like a big scuff at the end of the horn, as evidenced by the numerous parallel white lines. It hit something hard enough to transfer paint. Ouch! I'll bet she said, "Ka Bong!"

It could be a common wear pattern made more visible by the black on black paint scheme.

I dunno, for a grand or more, I'd have to do a hands on inspection to tell if there was movement of the back, relative to the binding.

Archived