Gibson Brands Forums

50th ANNIVERSARY FLYING V

Cloudpuncher

• 3 weeks later...

That is a fairly general question. Half the guys/stores think they are $2500+ "classics". the other half are trying to get $1300ish for them.

I bought mine "new" in 2009. It was returned when I discovered it was a floor demo (something I covered explicitly before buying). I paid $1300ish then. On one hand, you have an anniversary edition with so many made, and some interesting features (like the cool logo and the banjo tuners). On the other hand, the guitar is a "handful" to say the least. Attention to detail was as good/bad as factory Gibsons. Mine had very poor binding work on the headstock. The Banjo tuners make the guitar unbalanced and neck heavy. While the "1958 meets 1984" body with bevels makes for a very playable combination, it is very non-traditional (despite its anniversary namesake) and combining the atypical body with "brimstone burst" and gold hardware, you have a very gaudy love/hate axe. Unlike a white 1979 block inlay that everybody can lust after, this guitar is going to have a limited pool of interested buyers, and the seller will get what the market bears.

I may be more "hardnosed" than other buyers, but considering the amount for sale out there today and what the guitar is, I would pay less than $1300 for one, no more.

• 2 months later...

Archived