Gibson Brands Forums

Aluminium tailpiece on ES 335

LysanderSky

Hi there, I have always been wondering how much of a difference there is between a lightweight aluminium tailpiece and the stock one (I think it is nickel).

Does anyone have any experience with this? I always found the prices for tailpieces to be a bit steep and would like to know if it really improves the tone and sustain that much.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I have a 68 LP Custom that's suppose to have an aluminum tailpiece. My 335 has a nickle plated tailpiece which I believe is made from zink. I have never tried the 335 with the aluminum tailpiece. I guess I never really thought about it. That might be something I'll have to try. I would rather A/B them before buying one just in case. There's a market for them, everyone sells them so there must be something to it. I would guess that if you compared them you could hear some difference. If someone replaced yours without you knowing about it you probably wouldn't have a clue. I would think the differences is subtle if any but like I said I haven't even tried one on the 335 mainly because it sounds to darn good already.

For what a aluminum tailpiece cost you could replace the stock pots and caps with better ones and do 50's wiring and have a variety of usefull tones at your finger tips. You have more to gain from a mod/investment like this than changing out a single piece of hardware. But if you're already done this then maybe things might just get a little better with a aluminum tailpiece. Hopefully someone will chime in thats's tried one.

I have a 68 LP Custom that's suppose to have an aluminum tailpiece. My 335 has a nickle plated tailpiece which I believe is made from zink. I have never tried the 335 with the aluminum tailpiece. I guess I never really thought about it. That might be something I'll have to try. I would rather A/B them before buying one just in case. There's a market for them, everyone sells them so there must be something to it. I would guess that if you compared them you could hear some difference. If someone replaced yours without you knowing about it you probably wouldn't have a clue. I would think the differences is subtle if any but like I said I haven't even tried one on the 335 mainly because it sounds to darn good already.

For what a aluminum tailpiece cost you could replace the stock pots and caps with better ones and do 50's wiring and have a variety of usefull tones at your finger tips. You have more to gain from a mod/investment like this than changing out a single piece of hardware. But if you're already done this then maybe things might just get a little better with a aluminum tailpiece. Hopefully someone will chime in thats's tried one.

Thank you very much for your thoghts on this, Roadhog.

• 2 weeks later...

i upgraded my LP and SG to aluminum tailpeices. I used the Faber locking ones. it is subtle but with the wiring pot and cap upgrades it does add to the tone. I was surprised to see that my new 335 didnt have any of these.

changing the pots and caps looks like its going to be a pig on the 335

i upgraded my LP and SG to aluminum tailpeices. I used the Faber locking ones. it is subtle but with the wiring pot and cap upgrades it does add to the tone. I was surprised to see that my new 335 didnt have any of these.

changing the pots and caps looks like its going to be a pig on the 335

It's challenging but can be done, I did mine and it came out just fine. I found these videos after I had done mine but I basically did it the same way. You must know how to solder or you can damage the pots or caps.

Here's some tutorial help;

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/40089-335-electronics-installation-k-how-take-years-off-your-life.html

Yeah thats roughly what I had in mind

thanks for the videos and link, i've saved them all. Soldering isn't a problem, I just want those tiny ceramic caps out more than anything but whilst im in there i'll get the whole job done in one go rather than having to go through this each time.

thanks again

Archived