Gibson Brands Forums

"New" ES 175 VOS 1959

mine is an ES175 but with 2 pick ups...why did they change it...I love it more with this 1 pick up and it is not so heavy blink blink...I would exchange this one to mine DIRECTLY (only for the looks)

DSCF3152.jpg

What is that VOS meaning (I know I am a greenie what Gibson knowledge concerns)

Does anyone know more about the single pickup version? I can't find it on the Gibson website.

Also, since it's "custom" can you specify things like inlay style etc.? Are they built to order?

It would be great to have one that's simple like an ES-125 but with the cutaway and a single pickup.

VOS stands for Vintage Original Spec, which means that the guitar was made exactly according to the original specs from back in 1959; you can find attached a copy of the catalog from 1959.

The single pickup version was only available in vintage sunburst.

Some VOS appointments:

A new revolutionary process for fret dress and nut cut that helps our luthiers deliver a superior, player noticeable difference right out of the case.

Hand-rolled binding, with frets extending out slightly further for increased playing surface. This is a process we utilized for the Jimmy Page Custom Authentic—which many players have said is one of the most comfortable, playable guitars they have ever experienced!

New, hand-shaped nut for comfort and vintage authenticity

New, proprietary finishing process which, while still utilizing 100% nitro-cellulose lacquer, results in an gently aged patina that faithfully recreates the look of a well-cared for classic

New hardware aging process that delivers better results

Ensuring our neck profiles accurately reflect the three key eras in Gibson’s electric guitar history: early 1950s, 1959 and 1960.

post-15276-009390700 1336126792_thumb.jpg

Your ES-175 is simply the ES-175 that is/was made by Gibson at the time they made it. I really respect Gibson regarding all of these reissues, but to be honest alot of guys out there are going to drive themselves nuts in trying to acquire 'THE' Gibson Es-175 or L5 or you get the picture...... Personally I believe that all of this VOS stuff is getting to be a bit crazy.......A guitar should be NEW when you get it and let time age it NOT somebody in the Gibson Plant that believes that they know what the guitar should have looked like or played like in 1959. I guess what I am trying to say is 'When is this aging thing' going to quiet down? Frankly it is getting kind of nuts IMHO. The ES-175 that is shown is in Great Britain. WHY is it not available HERE in the USA? Take a look at the Gibson Store in Shanghai,China on their website...........ALL first line Gibson guitars quite a few of which are really difficult to get here in the USA. Basically it appears that Gibson is really aiming for the countries that have the big bucks these days.......NOT the good ole USA IMHO. Sorry for my rant but this VOS stuff is starting to get really old IMHO. jim in Maine

Hey Jimmy - no argument here - I don't want a pre-aged instrument - my guitar usually gets beat up fast enough just from my carelessness.

But I would like a guitar similar to my ES-125 that has a cutaway and a single pickup. That's what the VOS ES-175 is - kind of - would prefer dot inlays but whatever.

I did find them listed on the Long & McQuade website for $4450 (I'm in Canada) tho I've never seen on in a store and they don't have any in stock.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/16707/

For that much money I could get an old one from eBay that would have the tailpiece I prefer (solid vs. zig zag) and a P-90 vs. the big silver humbucker.

I know there are other manufacturers making new guitars but I really like the conservative styling of the Gibson ES guitars. The other manufacturers always seem to want to put a big flashy headstock and gaudy logo on everything. Maybe it's so they don't get sued.

My dream guitar would be that single pickup ES-175 with a P-90, solid tailpiece & dot inlays - new or used - I don't care! Wish someone would make it!

This is pretty close tho.....itchy eBay fingers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-GIBSON-ES-175-CC-CHARLIE-CHRISTIAN-VINTAGE-GUITAR?item=190670244747&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8186777324490566496#ht_13540wt_1345

Dave,

This guy wants $3250 for a 1979 ES-175CC that is a second!? When I lived in Chicago in the late 1970's my claim to fame is that I bought a ES-175CC in natural that was at the NAMM show that year. Got it at 'D J's Rock and roll store in Cicero,Illinois'. In short that guitar was probably the worse 175 that I ever owned. Long gone. A true testament to the lousy quality of Gibson during the 1970's.........Don't get me wrong. This 175 that is for sale in Great Britain looks to be a really nice 175. Of course to buy it and then have it shipped to the USA will end up costing somebody here a small fortune ;>). Frankly who knows what will end up with the economy the way that it is. Gibson might end up making some really superb instruments. Gibson may end up making some really crappy guitars also the way our economy is going. What will probably end up happening is that the really cool instruments will end up selling in: China (mainland),Saudi Arabia,Kuwait and certain countries in Europe.. jim

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know when these will be available on the street? I have visited a local Guitar Center and heard nothing from them. I recently visited the Custom Shop in Memphis and those working in the store that day had no idea either. I would love some answers!

Does anyone know when these will be available on the street? I have visited a local Guitar Center and heard nothing from them. I recently visited the Custom Shop in Memphis and those working in the store that day had no idea either. I would love some answers!

If I'm not mistaken, that would be built by the Nashville Custom Shop as they do all the Historics. At least I would hope that they build them instead of Memphis.

If I'm not mistaken, that would be built by the Nashville Custom Shop as they do all the Historics. At least I would hope that they build them instead of Memphis.

They are made in the Memphis factory. I was driving through last week on my way to Nashville, and decided to stop in Memphis to see the factory and show room. It's a very nice facility and the guitars they are putting out now are quite superior to the last few years. The VOS treatments are amazing. I played the " '59 ES-335" with the VOS and it was very impressive. The feel of the neck and body was astonishing, though the tension was set higher than I expected. I'm on the market for this new '59 VOS ES-175 though, even without having played one. I was that impressed by the 335.

• 3 weeks later...

They are made in the Memphis factory. I was driving through last week on my way to Nashville, and decided to stop in Memphis to see the factory and show room. It's a very nice facility and the guitars they are putting out now are quite superior to the last few years. The VOS treatments are amazing. I played the " '59 ES-335" with the VOS and it was very impressive. The feel of the neck and body was astonishing, though the tension was set higher than I expected. I'm on the market for this new '59 VOS ES-175 though, even without having played one. I was that impressed by the 335.

True.

Does someone Know, if the Neck Dimensions of the VOS 175 is the same as from the Standard/New 175?

the vos has a 59 neck, which is in my experience a bit chunkier than most current "standard" 175s

The one that Joe is playing has the wooden bridge, and a different tail piece than the web site offering the guitar. I think the one on Dave's web site has the wooden bridge, i can't remember the tailpiece. I think the wooden bridge is naturally warmer, but the adjustable bridge is easier for intonation and equing the amp etc. would probably result in the same tone.

Hi

I am new here. I just got a new '59 175 VOS. I love it. There were a few minor things that i'll call and speak to Gibson on first, but overall the guitar is great! It plays and sounds better than I imagined. This board was helpful in my research. The neck is fat, but very comfortable. The guitar is very dynamic in how it responds. I am glad I own it.

• 5 weeks later...

Congradulations! Did you get the one pickup or dual pickup guitar? Can we ask you whereabouts do you live and who did you purchase the guitar from? Thanks, jim in Maine

I got the dual pick ups. I live in MA and bought the guitar from The Music Zoo in New York, sight unseen. Really rolled the dice on this one. They were great and handled all my concerns about returns, shipping, etc. They're a great group of people who care about the customer and know their instruments.

A few words about the guitar now that I've had it for a month. Suspicious of quality, I brought the guitar to a very experienced and well known guitar repair person. He did a once-over. He reported it was well constructed, the solder job was very clean. It's what it Gibson said it was. He said other than the "made in china" sticker on the inside all was well. He was kidding. I had him fine tune it to account for 11 flats and my preference for low action. He had to do a little fret and bridge work but when I got it back it played incredible. The neck is absolutely the most comfortable neck I've played. I thought I loved the thinner neck like on my PRS custom 24 or '78 Hummingbird, but you can play this all day and give your hand a break.

The sound is dead on Joe Pass jazz tone. That is exactly what I was looking for. It's warm and very dynamic to picking, thumb, or finger-style. I played it through a few amps I have: Polytone, Henriksen Jazz Amp, and Mesa Lonestar 1-12". All sounded a little different. The acoustic properties and glassy-tone came through on the solid state amps. The Mesa yielded such a warm and punchy jazz tone and it handles well at a loud volume. You can really tear up on this guitar and pull out some nice tube driven sounds or lay back and dial it up just to blend with the acoustic sound. It's conducive to modern jazz, ala Kriesberg, Rosenwinkel, etc. You won't be stuck in the 50's.

The asthetics are great. So you know, I don't fall for those extreme pre-aged guitars. I find something dishonest about it. I know my choice was contridictory. Why would someone want to represent a guitar that has seen a life it hasn't lived? To me a guitar is alive. It's just my opinion. So, you can understand that this guitar gave me some anxiety about that. I was going after the features of the guitar versus the vibe, well maybe a little vibe. I've been playing for 40 years, asthetics are part of it. When I saw it in person all that changed. The aging is subtle and not "worn" to the wood and you don't get a "Grampa used to own this and travel without a case" vibe. It's just not a shiny brand spanking new looking guitar. It's simply "warm", no bright chromes or flashy flame maple (I love all that by the way!).It evokes a feeling of nostalgia which isn't counter to playing the kind of music this guitar is made for. Nice job on this Gibson. Just enough, but not too much. I've spent a lot of time with a real '59, it's not the same, it still feels new and but inspires you to put the miles on it. I have guitars that EVERYTIME I open the case to play I get this "feeling". A lot of you know exactly what I am talking about. This guitar is one of those.

I am very happy with this guitar. I also own a Moll custom archtop (L-5 type) as well an old epiphone sheraton 335-type and '79 Ibanez Artist semi hollow. This guitar has it's own unique sound, but is the king of jazz tone in my family of guitars. Gibson did a great job with this. I was on the Heritage path for a while, but the es-175 is the es-175. You can "improve" it, but your dealing with a different guitar then. It was all conceptual hearing opinions of this and that. Once I played it I knew.

Thanks Gibson for bring this to life.

If you've read this, thanks for letting me share this with the board. Also, thank you to those who wrote honestly about their experiences it helped with the process. I was reluctant about a new Gibson. Not anymore. The guitar is calling...gotta run!

Archived